Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Veg Chick

Posted Wed Dec 24th, 2008 11:03pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde on Nintendo DS
On Boxing Day Nintendo will be launching a classic book collection for the DS including The Picture of Dorian Gray & Importance of Being Earnest. The 'game' cartridge will include much in the way of Dickens and Shakespear.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/nds/100_.....10283.html

I am very tempted to get this, but does the digital book ever compare to the real thing? I have always considered that is there something fundamentaly wrong with having a battery powered book!

Has anyone used any of the other electronic book devices? I would be iinterested to know how the DS may stand up against them.

Thank you for your thoughts

Veg Chick

I am nothing

Jeeves_and_Wooster_fan

Posted Fri Dec 26th, 2008 3:01am Post subject: Oscar Wilde on Nintendo DS
Mmm, I like the idea, but there's something so....wrong about it.

Soph

Posted Thu Jan 1st, 2009 6:44pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde on Nintendo DS
I really don't know how I feel about digital books and the likes. Although, I like the idea of bringing these little treasures to the DS, I'm considering buying it for myself.

Photobucket

Veg Chick

Posted Thu Jan 1st, 2009 7:24pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde on Nintendo DS
Still have mixed feelings about this. I can see a few advantages, particularly when traveling, for example. But I have a great love of a book in the physical form and I'm some what of a horder. Having 100 in such a compact form and not cluttering my already groaning bookshelves would leav me feeling a little cheated.

Had a trip to my local branch of WH Smiths yesterday and was somewhat dismayed that there was not a classic book to be found in the store Why is it on one hand these books are being put on to a modern form of media, but are less available in their original, traditional format?

To be fair it is a very small branch on WH Smiths, I did manage to buy a copy of The Stars' Tennis Balls.

I am nothing

Shyamz

Posted Sun Jan 4th, 2009 11:08pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde on Nintendo DS
This is one of the reasons I love the DS, and Nintendo generally, as they come up with far more interesting and original ideas compared to Sony (barfs on keyboard), and other games manufacturers.

I looked into this back in October when it came out in the states (and I almost brought it. Glad I waited now that it's here), and although there are one hundred books in there, some are multiple entries by one author (i.e four or so Shakespeare's, five or six Dickens' e.t.c), so it's just a case of checking how many of the books you already own (if you have more that fifty percent of the books already it might not be worth it) but I doubt most people do.

But it's still not so bad, considering that it only costs £19.99. (There's a kick in the balls for I. Reader!)

These book cartridges have been available in Japan for years now and are very popular there, it's just a case of waiting to see how well it does over here (looking at how well the brain training and cooking guides have done we may be surprised by just how well it does).
It's because of things like I. Reader that I hope this really takes off over here and they make more. It would cost so much money to buy the same number of books for a digital reader.

And think how much you would spend in a shop, or on Amazon for the same number of books. We're talking a couple of hundred pounds or more!
I'd still go out and buy a copy of any book I really love, but for just reading new things and old classics that I'm not sure if I'll like or not, it's a very good idea.
It's like putting David Tennant in Hamlet, If it gets more people interested in such things when they otherwise might not be, then it can only be a good thing, as there will be a lot of DS owners who will buy it just out of curiosity, and might just end up liking something they read on it.

In response to Veg Chick, there are different brightness settings for the DS screens (which are better now in the DS Lite then they were in the old DS, and the battery lasts longer between charges), and you can adjust the text size to the size you like best. Just goes to show you that a £99 thing can do everything that much more expensive thing can...plus it can play games.

And the DS is so much smaller and more portable than an I. Reader and the cartridges-if you haven't seen them before-are tiny, like an SD card, so ha ha ha again to Sony X-D

Shyamz

Posted Sun Jan 4th, 2009 11:59pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde on Nintendo DS
In fact, here is a list (from Amazon) of all the books on there (it can be found further down the page in the product description):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001LK6XKE/ref=.....i=13821481

Far more bulk entries by Dickens, Shakespeare and Jane Austen than really is necessary, but it's still good for those who don't own them already.

Plus you can download ten more via Wi-Fi, and Les Mis' is in there, which is a huge book, so it's great they can fit such long books in there.

Do plays really count as books, or are they there to fill space?..I was just wondering because of all the Shakespeare entries.

Veg Chick

Posted Mon Jan 5th, 2009 12:16am Post subject: Oscar Wilde on Nintendo DS
Completely caved yesterday and bought it! (£17.99 in Sainsburys) And I absolutly love it! Half way through my second book already.

The size of the DS is perfect for this and the adjustable backlight means you can set the brightness so that it is comfortable on the eyes.

There are a few aurthors that are well represented but it also contains a lot of those titles, that personally, I've thought about reading but never got around to it.

It is worth noting that it has been produced by Harper Colins. And there are currently 10 extra books available to download.

There does seem to be a lot of scope for using the DS in this way, so I hope that this does prove popular and is expanded on. There is a game cartridge available for the DS which takes a micro SD memory card, it would be nice to see this utilised in an internet download type system (is this what iReaders do?).

Agree with Shymaz that I would still buy any that I really liked in 'real' book format. But for anyone considering it it is definatly worth buying. It isn't going to replace the book for me but it is a handy alternative.

I am nothing

Soph

Posted Mon Jan 5th, 2009 6:52pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde on Nintendo DS
I bought it exactly two days ago and haven't put it down since. I've really enjoyed reading Oscar Wilde's The Importance Of Being Earnest, I'm so surprised at how in to it I am. Taking a glance at the sheer amount of brilliant titles their is, you have to be satisfied. I I'm already dieing to get stuck in some of these stories and literature.

Apart from the novelty of actually hearing the sound of the page turning, which brings me amusement by itself. But I think why it appeals to me so much is that I'm reading it in small proportions, it suits me best. I've especially taking a liking to the background music and sounds you can choose. The Beach sound is beautiful and the Living Room is warming, comfortable listening.

Because it's on DS, it's more compact and handy where every you are. And you have the advantage of being able to decide what to read from the many titles to choose from where every you are. I've already taken it into college to read while I'm on a break. It's a lovely addition.

Photobucket

Veg Chick

Posted Mon Jan 5th, 2009 10:39pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde on Nintendo DS
I read 'The Importance of Being Earnest' first as well!

I always have my DS on mute so didn't realise it made page noises!

Took mine to work today for my lunch break and had to explaine to my boss why I was reading my DS, she thought it was really cool as well.

Shyamz, interesting you should say that about the plays. There is an 'About the Book' option which for Taming of the Shrew basically said, Shakespeare wrote it to be performed on stage not to be read as a book(?). I think it depends on the on the play as I found The Importance of Being Earnest very readable and incredibly enjoyable.

I am nothing

Shyamz

Posted Mon Jan 12th, 2009 10:40pm Post subject: Oscar Wilde on Nintendo DS
And the Nintendo lovers amongst us (like me), will know of the new DS coming out some time in the Summer of this year, the DSi:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9h-77-1-49-en-15-DSi-70-3161-43-99.html

Oooo, Aaaa, shiny.

Which (unlike the current DS Lite) will have Wi-Fi built in that actually works-so who knows what will become available on it's new built in DS Shop-and will have bigger screens again. (Don't worry, it's not going to cost much more than the original, and will be available for years as it will no doubt take over from the Lite eventually, and the games are still the same).