Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

trouser material

Posted Mon Feb 26th, 2007 12:04pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
Bizarre is quite interesting sometimes, but for the price, what you get is a couple of borderline dodgy/interesting stories and a lot of shite.

And half the time you can probably find the stories and pictures on the internet somewhere if you looked hard enough.

And not be charged the best part of a fiver for the privilege.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Mon Feb 26th, 2007 12:06pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
Bizarre is quite interesting sometimes, but for the price, what you get is a couple of borderline dodgy/interesting stories and a lot of shite.

And half the time you can probably find the stories and pictures on the internet somewhere if you looked hard enough.

And not be charged the best part of a fiver for the privilege.

Exactly!

Assuming direct control...

boffinbabe12

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2007 5:45pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
Eeek! My public speaking competition is tomorrow! Me against the Sussex finalists!!! I'm talkiing about toilets!
Wish me luck!

trouser material

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2007 7:08pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
Have a flushing time.

boffinbabe12

Posted Fri Mar 2nd, 2007 7:38pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
Thank you Trouser Material!
I've been practising so much that my voice has started going! Nooo!!!

trouser material

Posted Mon Mar 5th, 2007 9:59pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
How did the potty talk go then Boffin? The toilet speech i mean, somewhat unamusingly obviously.

boffinbabe12

Posted Tue Mar 6th, 2007 5:25pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
It was DREADFUL!!! Stuck up Charterhouse Twats HATED my speech.
There was only one team there that could have beaten us based on ability because the delivery was great but the speech itself needed a little work. However, they came second and the team that won were pretty rubbish AND we'd beaten them in a previous round. I think they won because they really played up to being an ethnic minority, "I am Jewish- an ethnic minority- some people try to tiptoe around the subject, others are rude to me and avoid me, some make jokes. I was asked a difficult question about Hitler... bla bla bla." I am mixed race- there are more jews than there are of me and I don't blabber on about it!!!
Anyway, one twatty judge was supposed to give feedback on our team- positive comments and constructive criticism on each member of the team- but basically slagged off my speech telling me it was flippant (although that is totally unfair because NOWHERE in the rules did it say that it had to be about a serious topic- it said no religion and no politics and that humour would be appreciated. If it was against the rules I should have lost the first two rounds, but I didn't I won them so he was just making the criteria up as he went along.)and that I mentioned the difference between discovery and invention when they are actually the same thing according to the latin origin (WTF definition and origin is a different thing entirely, example being that we did not invent America- we discovered it) then started on about "besides, the victorian sewage systems are far better than the toilet and the pyramids." I don't know where he got pyramids from but he was just trying to make himself look clever. He was a pompous git.
Our team was also the only secondary school team there (me being the youngest) and the other teams were in sixth form.

Soupy Twist

Posted Tue Mar 6th, 2007 7:05pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
Sorry to read that.

and that I mentioned the difference between discovery and invention when they are actually the same thing according to the latin origin (WTF definition and origin is a different thing entirely, example being that we did not invent America- we discovered it) then started on about "besides, the victorian sewage systems are far better than the toilet and the pyramids."

That is the crappiest crap I've ever heard! In earnest, that moron doesn't know his arse from his elbow. 'Invent' comes from Latin 'invenire' and means, big surprise, to 'invent' or 'find' something. 'discover' derives from 'dis-cooperire' which means to 'uncover', 'reveal' or 'expose' something. There is a huge difference as you correctly pointed out. aaarg, ignorance
Cheer up and don't be too disappointed! Everyone can give a speech on political correctness but only a few people manage to talk coherently and witty about toilets! Flippant? Can't imagine that.

boffinbabe12

Posted Tue Mar 6th, 2007 7:09pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
Thanks! I'm thinking that my next speech could be on one of a few things:
Out of Date Phrases (best thing since sliced bread)
Is it really so important to be earnest?
I can resist anything but temptation: Why it's true
Fashion: The root of all evil.
But to be very controversial I could do a speech about why public schooling is wrong.... just to annoy them.

absolutely curtains

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 6:17pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
People like that judge should be rounded up and have their eyelids ripped off then stapled to their ears.

And people like the "look at me I'm Jewish I'm a minority" should be sent away to Yugoslavia then have their head smashed against a rock fifteen times. Or more, if it's necessary.

People play on that - it's the equivalent of this boy in my school - disabled but a total arse to everyone. Few teachers understand that we're hardly gonna let him call us obscene things and not say anything back... Just because he can't walk properly doesn't mean he doesn't realise that every adult is automatically on his side because they think he gets a hard time already, which is bollocks because we're well past the days of teasing the disabled. Well we are at my school...

Out of date phrase:

Something being as difficult to find as "a needle in a haystack". There are several problems with this:

1. Have you ever seen a haystack? I haven't. Only those big rolls of hay.
2. What would you be doing with a needle near a haystack?
3. If you dropped it in there, you wouldn't even try to relocate it. You'd just say "Bugger it, I'll go get another needle."

A more updated version: as difficult to find as a brain cell in a Big Brother contestant?

Perhaps that one's not fair...: Big Brother viewer.

boffinbabe12

Posted Wed Mar 7th, 2007 8:25pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases
Oo I forgot about the needle in a haystack- god points, I shall use that in my speech if it's about that. - especially the Big Brother comment.
we're well past the days of teasing the disabled. Well we are at my school...
I agree with you, I would say that is at least one form of prejudice which seems to have been eliminated.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Mar 17th, 2007 6:26pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases

People play on that - it's the equivalent of this boy in my school - disabled but a total arse to everyone. Few teachers understand that we're hardly gonna let him call us obscene things and not say anything back... Just because he can't walk properly doesn't mean he doesn't realise that every adult is automatically on his side because they think he gets a hard time already, which is bollocks because we're well past the days of teasing the disabled. Well we are at my school...

Slightly off on a tangent here, I've worked with children who are disabled/have special needs and when any of them ever did anything wrong or swore we'd tell them off and explain to them why the behaviour is innappropriate. I don't believe in letting someone get away with bad behaviour because they have a disability. All children need to learn right from wrong. I don't agree with mollycoddling either. One thing you'll hear staff who work with older children who have specials needs is that for most of their life they've had people do everything for them and by the age of 11 they can't think or do anything for themselves, which in my opinion is wrong. It's a case where tough love is required, don't throw them entirely into the deep end but don't wrap them up in wool as you'll end up with adults who are wholly dependent on others.

Out of date phrase:

Something being as difficult to find as "a needle in a haystack". There are several problems with this:

1. Have you ever seen a haystack? I haven't. Only those big rolls of hay.
2. What would you be doing with a needle near a haystack?
3. If you dropped it in there, you wouldn't even try to relocate it. You'd just say "Bugger it, I'll go get another needle."

A more updated version: as difficult to find as a brain cell in a Big Brother contestant?

Perhaps that one's not fair...: Big Brother viewer.

I've never seen a haystack either, just the big rolls dotted round fields.

I've finally remembered the other phrase Eddie Izzard mentioned in his show: "The best laid plans of mice and men." Mice make plans now?

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Mar 17th, 2007 6:46pm Post subject: Out of Date Phrases

Slightly off on a tangent here, I've worked with children who are disabled/have special needs and when any of them ever did anything wrong or swore we'd tell them off and explain to them why the behaviour is innappropriate. I don't believe in letting someone get away with bad behaviour because they have a disability. All children need to learn right from wrong. I don't agree with mollycoddling either. One thing you'll hear staff who work with older children who have specials needs is that for most of their life they've had people do everything for them and by the age of 11 they can't think or do anything for themselves, which in my opinion is wrong. It's a case where tough love is required, don't throw them entirely into the deep end but don't wrap them up in wool as you'll end up with adults who are wholly dependent on others.

I absolutely agree. My friend's little sister has a severe learning disability. Whilst being a fully developed woman of 30 years she can mentally be compared with an 8-9 year-old, though she has one hell of a memory, is very musical and sensitive etc. All her life she was spoilt and pampered by her mother and her grandmother and never told off if she did something wrong. My friend often had the feeling that she was being treated unfairly. When their mother died of cancer the family recognised that the girl was completely dependent on others and were at pains to change their course in order to make her fit for a more independent life. They finally succeeded, she now lives in a residential group and works in a workshop for people with special needs.