Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

mim

Posted Fri Sep 29th, 2006 8:25pm Post subject: Paperweight
The other day, whilst sitting on the loo, I happened to open Paperweight at a random page. (I, like most of the world's population, delight in reading on the bog, and rarely assume the position without some reading matter in my hands.) Rather appropriately it was an article entitled 'Piles' - I have been a sufferer recently owing to pregnancy. As you will know if you've read it, it was extolling the virtues of discussing openly taboo subjects such as problems in the arse area.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Mr Fry, and if I may say so, you did a fantastic job of breaking taboos in the mental health area with your recent documentary. I had post natal depression and anxiety attacks so I know how debilitating this can be. I've never been embarrassed talking about it and actually like talking about it - it helps me rationalise it all in my own mind.

I for one don't mind talking about 'embarrassing' medical problems in general, and having a 4 year old son gives me the perfect excuse to talk about willies, poo, wee and 'pumps' all the time. Superb.

Keep up the good work Mr F.

Kerstin

Posted Sat Sep 30th, 2006 7:12pm Post subject: Paperweight
I'm buying hemorrhoids creme in bulk now, and I find it a very "liberating" experience! LOL
The cremes are also very good for use on the face or for little scratches or bruises.

RubyCosmos

Posted Sun Oct 1st, 2006 6:02pm Post subject: Paperweight
On a different topic (although this one is fascinating) ...

About a year ago, I had my first book published, and I recalled the good Mr. Fry's article on what it's like to have this experience. I can safely say I did pretty much everything he described (except my copy went on my manga shelf, between Cowboy Bebop Shooting Star and a very slim volume of Digiko's Champion's Cup). Right down to not reading a word (or in my case, a panel) of it.

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Feb 11th, 2007 5:07am Post subject: Paperweight
Just ordered Paperweight online, whee! (Along with some books on Vidocq and a Soviet TV-Krimi I've been coveting for ages.)

Frylu

Posted Wed Feb 14th, 2007 9:14am Post subject: Paperweight
You must have the Audio-book of Paperweight. It´s brilliant (!)

AxmxZ

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 4:42am Post subject: Paperweight
Paperweight arrived!! I haven't been this excited since I bought Stoppard's latest, "Rock-n-Roll". (Let's hope the parallel ends there, because "Rock-n-Roll" turned out to be a huge disappointment.)

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 5:31pm Post subject: Paperweight
You must have the Audio-book of Paperweight. It´s brilliant (!)

That it is. Except when the article "Saying Fuck" came blaring through my computer speakers at work

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 8:34am Post subject: Paperweight
Stephen Fry's magnificent tome "Paperweight" was the very reason I sought out this website and decided to become a forum member. Like many of my generation I first discovered the inestimable Mr Fry in "Blackadder" and "A Bit of Fry and Laurie". I was extremely impressed with "Peter's Friends", which I could have sworn he wrote himself until I discovered othewise.
However, my favourite of all his works remains "Paperweight", which I believe should be a manual for Englishness (ideal Englishness, rather than descriptive Englishness), open-mindedness, tolerance and considered, balanced argument. I sincerely hopes he takes up his pen to write non-fiction again (or, failing that, to revive the character of Professor Trefusis and give us his views on current affairs, media idocy and politics). That is not to say that I would wish Mr Fry to give up any of his other activities, public or private, but that I have rarely come encountered such a fine mind in spite of what one of his more caustic Cambridge tutors told him.
I am now coming to the end of my third reading of "Paperweight" and am trying to persuade my wife to fit it into her busy schedule. Whatever anyone else says, Mr Fry is one of my ideals of a gentleman and I wish it were more fashionable to be one.

Aoibheann

Posted Thu Apr 12th, 2007 2:18am Post subject: Paperweight
I'm buying hemorrhoids creme in bulk now, and I find it a very "liberating" experience! LOL
The cremes are also very good for use on the face or for little scratches or bruises.

Wooooooooah....... on your face.....?

Dodgy X-D