Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Tabascofanatikerin

Posted Tue Feb 1st, 2011 10:01pm Post subject: Paperweight

I'm not going to ask if you have read this book (of course you have).
I am half way through the book now.

Although the texts are (at least half of it) from the 1980s already and written mainly about the British culture I haven't lived (*grr*) I enjoy them because many topics are still timeless, I like reading about the British culture and Fry's texts as well as of his alter ego Donald Trefusis are amusingly written

Is there a chance to get something like "Paperweight 2"?

Always remember: The answer is forty-two, there can only be wrong questions!

Jomadcha

Posted Mon Apr 18th, 2011 4:53pm Post subject: Paperweight

Ayuda creo que me estoy pasando por una crisis de mediana edad, pero no de la variedad habitual.

Reading a book was something that I rarely considered, but a couple of years ago this all mysteriously seemed to change, along with an illogical urge to learn a foreign language. I was 42, perhaps that is the answer, tabascofanatikerin has been right all along. I’m now happily devouring my eighth book written by Stephen Fry with as much enthusiasm as the first, although maintaining a bilingual appetite has been harder. I am halfway through Paperweight, and never tire of his style of humour.

I can think of very few experiences better than having an opportunity to enjoy a Lords test match in the company of Mr Fry (lucky Mick). If I were ever to be as fortunate, I’m sure during our conversation he would persuade me to have a proper mid life crisis, hurling at me disapprovingly the books on religious conspiracy theories that I have also felt compelled to read, as I run along St Johns Wood Road to the nearest sports car showroom. Let’s hope this is after we have applauded Strauss on reaching a century before tea.

The day is approaching when I will have read all Mr Frys offerings. Maybe next summer I will lie on a Spanish beach tuned into the World Service test match coverage, whilst waiting in anticipation of his next.

Adios.

IdeaCollector

Posted Mon Apr 18th, 2011 7:44pm Post subject: Paperweight

I just received The Stars Tennis Balls and Paperweight for my birthday and I really look forward to reading them. I read a short essay in Paperweight and I am just tickled at how fun it is already.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

Jomadcha

Posted Tue Apr 19th, 2011 11:48am Post subject: Paperweight

I haven’t read The Stars’ Tennis Balls (or read the Count of Monte Cristo to compare) but planning to sometime during the next few months. In the meantime, it looks like a good day to venture outdoors at lunchtime and enjoy a few more pages from Paperweight