Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 3:49pm Post subject: Paperweight-a-week
Since our new member moose most kindly brought my attention back to this lovely thread I thought it a shame to abandon it and sort of hijacked it. Nick, feel free to slap me and rip this thread from my evil hands
I would like to proceed with "Trefusis on Education":

First of all, Trefusis is against too much parental interference in education, not only because parents know nothing about education. "Parent Power" would degrade education to a mere service industry with children being the dirty linen, teachers the washers and parents the customers.

Trefusis then notes that England has replaced education, which enables children to think freely and form their own opinions, with training, which is basically what is given to airline pilots, computer operators or pear trees. He states that the freedom deriving from real education "is no part of the programme of today's legislators".

He concludes by opposing the old "values of decency and valour and patriotism and religion", since they are not only responsible for a century of wars and oppression, but still alive in several backward Islamic cultures.

nongenderous

Posted Sun May 4th, 2008 9:38pm Post subject: Paperweight-a-week
Going back to this has anyone seen The Comic Strip Presents Funseekers? It's based on an 18-30 holiday. Looked awful. If that's what 18-30 holidays are like then they're not my cup of tea. :S

I like that episode of The Comic Strip; it shows why I would never ever go on such a holiday. I don't even drink and go out on Saturday night, so there's not much point. I quite enjoy the contrast with the pregnant woman as opposed to all the mindless drunken tourists. Reminds me of Norwegians who can't behave when there's cheap alcohol available. They drink with both hands (as we say in Norway). I can't stand spending time with drunk people. There's no point when one is not able to have normal conversation with someone.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Thu May 29th, 2008 3:57pm Post subject: Paperweight-a-week
Since our new member moose most kindly brought my attention back to this lovely thread I thought it a shame to abandon it and sort of hijacked it. Nick, feel free to slap me and rip this thread from my evil hands
I would like to proceed with "Trefusis on Education":

First of all, Trefusis is against too much parental interference in education, not only because parents know nothing about education. "Parent Power" would degrade education to a mere service industry with children being the dirty linen, teachers the washers and parents the customers.

It's happening now. All the time I'm getting documents on how in education we need to let parent's bring in their opinions, input and influence more and more. They're really pushing for this in the Early Years wanting more and more parental involvement. The trouble with that is then parents want you to do so much for their child as though you don't have to worry about another forty children as well. It's also becoming more and more common for parents to bring in their children into school nursery whom aren't toilet trained at all and expect us to do it. There aren't even the resources and staffing to do that. The government is turning education more and more into a service treating pupils/students like consumers while teachers are being expected more and more to do things that isn't really teaching but more babysitting. It's causing a lot of stress among teachers in the schools I've been going into especially among Early Years teachers who are being given more and more paperwork to do then ever on top of more and more over things to deal with.

Trefusis then notes that England has replaced education, which enables children to think freely and form their own opinions, with training, which is basically what is given to airline pilots, computer operators or pear trees. He states that the freedom deriving from real education "is no part of the programme of today's legislators".

Where I live there is talk of one of the colleges no longer offering A-levels and how there's going to be learning centres opened all over the town for post-16 education. All vocational, non-academic training courses of course. I read education news a lot and more and more I read how there's a push by employers to make education more training/work orientated and less academic. Academic courses are becoming less valued and further and higher education is seen merely as a means to an end (i.e. money and career) and not as a way of furthering knowledge and understanding or pushing your intellectual capabilities.

Going back to this has anyone seen The Comic Strip Presents Funseekers? It's based on an 18-30 holiday. Looked awful. If that's what 18-30 holidays are like then they're not my cup of tea. :S

I like that episode of The Comic Strip; it shows why I would never ever go on such a holiday. I don't even drink and go out on Saturday night, so there's not much point. I quite enjoy the contrast with the pregnant woman as opposed to all the mindless drunken tourists. Reminds me of Norwegians who can't behave when there's cheap alcohol available. They drink with both hands (as we say in Norway). I can't stand spending time with drunk people. There's no point when one is not able to have normal conversation with someone.

I don't like spending time with drunk people either. You can't really talk to them or anything. I'll never understand the appeal of getting drunk.

Assuming direct control...