Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

qwan

Posted Tue Mar 5th, 2013 12:25am Post subject: Paranoia with Bipolar

Does anyone know when to tell if your paranoia is psychosis?
I ask this because with mania it would likely be severe, but with hypomania or depression it could be more like Psychotic depression. In psychotic depression, you're AWARE that your delusions or hallucinations are just that, but they still effect your behaviour.

I'm not wrapping things in tin foil yet, but I am definitely paranoid, and wondering when I should tell my Drs.

It's hard to find research on it so maybe someone with similar experiences could help?

I'm suspecious that everything I say could be used against me. I currently have no income; I quit uni on health and finantial grounds and have no family support. I need benefits but need help filling it out and am worried every person I speak to will somehow be assessing me for my eligibility so when they ask me how I managed to buy food if I have no money or go out, or something, I get worried and feel like I'm stuck.

I also have this weird thing where I think if I'm takling to someone online, it might be someone else using their account instead. That isn't weird, I know, but I get it in REAL LIFE too. I think someone like my sister is actually a uni friend she may or may not know. If I ask them both the same sort of question and they respond the same way I feel its more true. Now I am always aware it makes no sense, sometimes its people of different races, sexes, ages. But it doesn't matter, and the fact is because of the delusion, I'm anxious and might be ca\reful not to talk to the people I'm worried about in that sense as much as I would before.

So my delusions make me anxious and change my behaviour but aren't putting me in immediate danger right now.

Well it might if I stop trusting my Drs. I've had times during severe depression where I think they're either giving me a placebo or poison and I stop going to the Drs or taking the meds. =/

I'm only being treated with anti-depressants, no mood stabilisers. My mood isn't fluctuating too much I don't think. It's moving around a little, but I'm not feeling worn out by the changes which is normally what happens when it rapidly cycles and I haven't had a nice high in ages. I'm more energetic on my new dose but wouldn't say I'm getting higher or anything.

OhOkay

Posted Tue Mar 5th, 2013 2:20am Post subject: Paranoia with Bipolar

I would say you definitely need to talk to your docotor about this, this paranoia defnitely sounds like psychosis and sounds serious.

--Caroline

qwan

Posted Tue Mar 5th, 2013 3:15am Post subject: Paranoia with Bipolar

=/ It probably sounds worse than it is.
I don't feel too bad when I'm away from the stuff, so it's not making me anxious all the time. But it is doing it about half of the time when I'm not around the stuff. So say I see someone for an hour, and get paranoid thoughts. For the next 11 hours of the day I'm worrying about it probably up to 5 or 6 hours of it.
It is coming and going but if it gets worse it won't be good. I don't really trust my house mate and it's hard to tell how much of it is me being over the top and how much of it is justifiable.

Thanks for your reply. I'm severely overdue a Drs visit anyway, I was supposed to see him the begining of February but it's hard to get up in the mornings to get appointments. DX

qwan

Posted Tue Mar 5th, 2013 5:44am Post subject: Paranoia with Bipolar

I'm wondering, why should I tell my Dr if I don't want to be put on more Meds. I'm worried about it being used against me now.
What purpose does it serve? I would like to be monitored but I don't trust all members of staff over the vast multidiciplinary teams that will have access to my records. I can more easily be taken advantage of if they have on there that I might have psychosis right?