Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Occy

Posted Wed Mar 12th, 2008 11:36am Post subject: Paul McCartney
SHUT THE F*** UP YOU DRUGGED UP OLD PRUNE

I love Paul McCartney but I could punch him in the throat

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23362166-2,00.html
Why comment on something you know nothing about.

FYI roos are cute ickle bouncy things that tell you about little timmy down a well - they aint a bouncy Lassie!! They're a large overpopulated animal who are going to extinguish themselves through overbreeding and grazing (we are in a severe drought) if they aren't culled.

I say we set drop bears on anyone who opens their mouths and lets anything randomly dribble from them

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Mar 12th, 2008 12:12pm Post subject: Paul McCartney
I agree with him.... Why kill off animals when you can create an alternative? why not move them? set up a saffari park or sort out a Zoo exchange?

Britannicus

Posted Wed Mar 12th, 2008 3:26pm Post subject: Paul McCartney
I never know how to feel with situations like this. I see the concern with overgrazing, the threat to themselves and other species, etc. But why must we intervene (not rhetorical)? Nature wasn't a pretty Garden of Eden before we came around. There is a web of life, things do connect and very strongly, so one species' uprise or demise can have a powerful effect on several others. But there's no constantly perfect balance. It fluctuates over time. Populations rise, fall, disappear. It's all very sad, but species do go extinct, do become endangered, and sometimes through their success cause the disappearance of others. It's part of life.

'Course it's a bit different if our species gets involved, because our circle of influence on the others is wider than perhaps any before. At least with our technology. We're an anomaly in the web of life, if you will, which makes us more responsible for our own impact. We can neglect those responsibilities, but -- seeing as we can blow up the whole planet...

Yep. Not sure what to think. I don't like the idea of them being "culled". But I don't know any more about this issue than the article reveals.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

LilyG

Posted Thu Mar 13th, 2008 1:50am Post subject: Paul McCartney
as another aussie and having been brought up out near ballarat, i can agree with you occy in saying that people who have no idea about this particular situation (mr. mccartney) should really just shush.

the roo's are SO overpopulated, and continuing to breed. the eat crops and ruin peoples lives in the rural areas of aus.

i also agree....DROP BEARS ALL THE WAY~!!!!

(perhaps one for paul too X-D )

joan

Posted Thu Mar 13th, 2008 9:18am Post subject: Paul McCartney
As yet another Aussie, and an animal lover, I have to agree that non-Australians have no idea just how many roos there are. They are not endangered, and are actually sometimes killed for food - you can get roo meat in many mainstream supermarkets. When I take the suburban train to Brisbane, I see kangaroos around the jail perimeter.

I'm not sure about the reason for the cull in question, but have no reason to think there is anything sinister about it.

PS Roo mest is very lean and good for you - but - I haven't tried it!!

Britannicus

Posted Thu Mar 13th, 2008 3:26pm Post subject: Paul McCartney
X-D I've heard that about kangaroo meat... I kinda want to try it.

They have rabbit culls around here, probably not an uncommon thing in the world given their breeding habits. At least with the kangaroo cull, they said they'd be using tranquilizers and lethal injection, so hopefully not too traumatic on them considering how it could be. Here they just round all the rabbits up and have the farmers shoot at them (at least they did twenty years ago -- not sure about now). But I think they get to keep the meat with that. Occasionally the young people driving out on the hills will make a game of hitting every one of them that dives across the road. Overpopulated or not, that's sick.

And a good deal of it's our own fault for wiping out most of their predators...

Do kangaroos have any natural predators?

"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Mar 13th, 2008 4:01pm Post subject: Paul McCartney
X-D I've heard that about kangaroo meat... I kinda want to try it.

They have rabbit culls around here, probably not an uncommon thing in the world given their breeding habits. At least with the kangaroo cull, they said they'd be using tranquilizers and lethal injection, so hopefully not too traumatic on them considering how it could be. Here they just round all the rabbits up and have the farmers shoot at them (at least they did twenty years ago -- not sure about now). But I think they get to keep the meat with that. Occasionally the young people driving out on the hills will make a game of hitting every one of them that dives across the road. Overpopulated or not, that's sick.

And a good deal of it's our own fault for wiping out most of their predators...

Do kangaroos have any natural predators?

yeah, that is true. i have a lot of respect for people who hunt, and i know it sort of has to be done, or the deer multiply and actually starve. but would it be like that if we still had wolves and cougars? (i guess there are some cougars where i live, but it's rare...)

i used to be vegetarian and i'm not anymore... i understand a lot of the arguments made around animal rights and so on... but when you're talking about the REAL future of the animals, it's harder to say what's the best thing to do. Say we really did let all the beef cows free. WTF are they gonna do? Say we really didn't hunt animals or control their populations anymore. ??? Then what??

I know nothing about australia's kangaroos, but i'm sure it's as convuluted a problem as these other things...

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Mar 13th, 2008 6:57pm Post subject: Paul McCartney
I tried kangaroo meat once. It was quite bland. Then again, I may have cooked it badly.

Britannicus

Posted Thu Mar 13th, 2008 7:02pm Post subject: Paul McCartney
Banjo, yeah, it is hard to say what the best thing to do is. Australia especially since I don't live there but even here with our local problems. That's why I'm sticking by my "I don't know", haha.

We've got cougars here...well, not so many in the area I'm at right now, but back up north there are some. And we've had reports of wolves over the years. My cousin worked with the Division of Wildlife Resources and had to go trap a pair of them to take back to Idaho. This was a couple years ago, when they were still on the endangered list...

I was "vegetarian" for a week or so to see if I could handle it (my roommate at the time was a real vegetarian, and she dared me). I have no problems with people eating meat, it's a fact of life that something has to die for you to live, be it plant or animal. I am seriously disturbed by the conditions that many slaughterhouse-destined animals face during their lives though. It wasn't an easy week. We put meat in so many of our dishes. I hadn't really noticed before. Since I was relying soley on my school cafeteria, it was a pretty limited range of food that I actually could eat.

I have loads of respect for hunters too (except for purely trophy hunters). Do they give out hunting permits for kangaroos, you Australian folks?

Britannicus

Posted Thu Mar 13th, 2008 7:10pm Post subject: Paul McCartney
I tried kangaroo meat once. It was quite bland. Then again, I may have cooked it badly.

X-D Yum.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Fri Mar 14th, 2008 11:56pm Post subject: Paul McCartney
I understand and respect the fact that as Im not in the country, I dont have direct knowledge of the effects of the roos are, However surely there are some othere options - I dont quite know - then to cull them just for being alive??

LilyG

Posted Sat Mar 15th, 2008 1:41am Post subject: Paul McCartney
I have loads of respect for hunters too (except for purely trophy hunters). Do they give out hunting permits for kangaroos, you Australian folks?

yes, but on strict conditions. dont get me wrong, we love our roos, they have become a bit of an icon and all, but they are causing serious problems in a lot of parts of our country. you CAN get a permit to shoot roos if:

a) you are a commercial body, and you are going to be selling the meat wholesale i.e. to restaurants, tourist spots, etc. basically if you are a legit supplier. you CANNOT shoot for meat if you own a restaurant, if you are a cook, anything like that.

b) if you have permission from the government to cull a certain number due to overpopulation in a certain area. this can be carried out if you are a farmer with a space of land, and you are only allowed to cull a certain pre-approved number on your own land, or if you are a government body culling on government/common land.

phew. so yeah, basically we're just trying to stop too many roos breeding. it would be cruel to let them overpopulate and run out of food and shelter.

xxx

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Mar 15th, 2008 1:51am Post subject: Paul McCartney
I understand and respect the fact that as Im not in the country, I dont have direct knowledge of the effects of the roos are, However surely there are some othere options - I dont quite know - then to cull them just for being alive??

There are options, like contraception, but it is costly and so it is seldom considered.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Britannicus

Posted Sat Mar 15th, 2008 2:39am Post subject: Paul McCartney

yes, but on strict conditions. dont get me wrong, we love our roos, they have become a bit of an icon and all, but they are causing serious problems in a lot of parts of our country. you CAN get a permit to shoot roos if:

a) you are a commercial body, and you are going to be selling the meat wholesale i.e. to restaurants, tourist spots, etc. basically if you are a legit supplier. you CANNOT shoot for meat if you own a restaurant, if you are a cook, anything like that.

b) if you have permission from the government to cull a certain number due to overpopulation in a certain area. this can be carried out if you are a farmer with a space of land, and you are only allowed to cull a certain pre-approved number on your own land, or if you are a government body culling on government/common land.

phew. so yeah, basically we're just trying to stop too many roos breeding. it would be cruel to let them overpopulate and run out of food and shelter.

xxx

So...none for private citizens to cook up just for their fam? Why? (Smack me upside the head if I read you wrong...been packing all day, tired.)

That's the main method around here for keeping the deer population down. Although not so much this year... Tough winter on them, lots have died, so the DWR is going to put a stricter limit on the number of permits. There was a whole herd of deer in the cemetery across the street last night, so they're hungry. They usually give out as many as 90,000 permits. Not a perfect system, but I haven't seen the day when they were so numerous as to starve themselves.

Occy

Posted Sat Mar 15th, 2008 3:10am Post subject: Paul McCartney
Far as I know if they're on your farm you can shoot em and do what you please with em.

We are the only country in the world that eats it's coat of arms - emu and roo!!

I am a vegeterian - have been for 12 or 13 years.

My dogs love a dried roo tail - bloody hard to get lately though

The roos are being culled because there are too many of them

As far as I know it's done with shotguns - quick and clean except obviously the mob gets upset by it