Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

KateB

Posted Fri May 15th, 2009 4:42pm Post subject: Personal Vaporisers/Electronic Cigarettes
I quit smoking about ten months ago with the help of electronic cigarettes and think they're the best thing since sliced bread

They are a new technology from China that simulates the act of smoking and can deliver nicotine in a way that doesn't involve combustion, known carcinogens or tar.

There are few studies about vaping ('smoking' electronic cigarettes) so vested interests can't make claims about health or effectiveness but anecdotal evidence suggests that it's much better for quitting and cutting down on smoking tobacco than approved nicotine replacement products.

If you'd like to know more about this technology which could potentially save billions of lives then these forums are great sources of information and activism to keep the practice legal:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members.....post138671

http://www.righttovape.com/

The vaping community is new and enthusiastic so please excuse evangelism, we are just keen for other smokers to be able to benefit as we have.

It would be fantastic if Stephen could spare a few minutes to consider the value of an effective smoking replacement and the need to work towards proving health and cessation effectiveness. We need all the support we can get as authorities are clamping down worldwide on vaping with the rationale that it's not proven effective and safe. In fact it has not been proven unsafe either but smoking has for sure.

Tom Lauten

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 6:17pm Post subject: Personal Vaporisers/Electronic Cigarettes
I feel compelled to agree and to add my two pennith.

I really enjoyed a pipe or big stinky cigar "down the pub" but alas, no longer. I have to smoke these in beer gardens or at home and it just isn't as much fun anymore. I can't remember how I found out about personal vaporizers but I am very glad I did.

The liquids used in these come in a variety of flavours (from numerous tobacco varients to fruit and candy flavours) and although they are not overwhelming flavours they do impart many of the same sensations associated with smoking. The various flavours are a smokers version of herbal tea, that is to say that the neat liquid smells wonderful but when "vaped" the taste/smell is far more subtle. The liquids are available with and without nicotine, without is my preference.

I find that I can inhale without coughing, my breath doesn't smell, nor does my clothing and others around me do not suffer the effects of second hand smoke. One gets angry stares from jealous smokers in the pub but my Landlord has agreed that it isn't actually "smoking" and he is fine with my "vaping" inside. The law backs this in terms of the definition of smoking...for now.

I own a couple of "e-cigarettes" (sleek looking black vaporizers) and an "e-cigar". There are disposable e-cigars available and even e-pipes... all VERY convincing down to the glowing LED at the "lit end" which activates upon drawing upon the unit.

I'm in hospital at the moment awaiting a triple bypass and even now I nip outside for a quick "vape" and it is rumoured that "someone" on my ward has been known to partake of vaping late in the night when Matron isn't looking!

Oh please do try this, it is great fun and very satisfying.

Nitro

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 6:52pm Post subject: Personal Vaporisers/Electronic Cigarettes
Seems like there's a lot of equipment involved. Tobacco cigarettes are easy. Buy a pack, use, done. These e-cigs...batteries? cores? liquids? and that's just to get the e-cigs working right?

I'd rather fight the do-gooders, or 'shit suckers' as a friend likes to call them, from continually making laws on my person such that the government decides what's 'good' for me to do. For now, it's argued that it's acceptable to quash down on smokers. Next it will be ( and in fact already is becoming ) acceptable to quash down on the overweight people in a variety of ways. Punitive living iow. Soon, it won't be good enough to throw the stoners in jail. Maybe executing them or sending them to forced rehabilitation would be in the 'best interests' of society(?).

I'm not saying people should not 'vape', I'm saying they shouldn't just lie down while the government increasingly tries to parent its citizens who are of an age past parenting.

Really? Wow.

Tom Lauten

Posted Sat May 16th, 2009 9:34pm Post subject: Personal Vaporisers/Electronic Cigarettes
Hi Nitro, I appreciate what you are saying. We always have to struggle with the issues of over-legislation and a cotton-wool society.

For me e-cigs and the like aren't so much an alternative as they are something I enjoy using because of what the are and I appreciate the (lack of) "side effects" from them. I do still partake of a fine hand rolled cigar or some pipe tobacco smoked from one of my many Peterson pipes.

The fact one can use PV's (personal vaporizers) in buildings etc. is an added bonus. Others have switched to them for health reasons and for some they have been a help to them in stopping smoking tobacco products when they wanted or needed to.

I enjoy playing with the kit, the liquids, the custom mixing, it's all part of it (should you desire). I guess for me and perhaps many others it is much a hobby as it is habit or compulsion. The devices and accessories are "objects of desire" and "vaping" can be as simple or as involved as one would like it to be.

KateB

Posted Sun May 17th, 2009 8:56pm Post subject: Personal Vaporisers/Electronic Cigarettes
For me it wasn't about being forced to quit smoking, I just wanted to see if I could cut down on tobacco use without losing my mind. I had no intention of going through any hardship but when I started vaping it blew me away and I quit smoking almost immediately. Now I like it much more than smoking and I think it's better for me.

It can be a bit of a chore to keep up with vaping but if you regard it as a hobby and the rituals as replacing smoking rituals then it can be enjoyable.

Certainly it's not for everyone and doesn't work for everyone but I hope that one day every smoker will have had a chance to at least give vaping a try.