Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

WannaBeLinguist

Posted Fri Mar 8th, 2013 5:41pm Post subject: Persuasive Paper: Sources

So, in my English 102 class, we have been assigned a paper. Nothing new but this is definitely a concept new to me; write a paper that will encourage a community project.

The students are supposed to write a sort of problem and solution paper mixed with a persuasive paper. We need to find a problem that affects the community and how we can fix it (reasonably, of course, we are only college students). Then (this is where it gets a bit hazy)either the class as a whole or the class split into small groups will choose which problem-solution/persuasive paper would make for a good community service project and work on it. I don't know which to be more afraid of, honestly.

What does that have to do with this particular topic on the forum? Last week, I was at a Gay-Straight Alliance meeting and we are going to join in on the cities AIDS walk in April. While we were talking about it, one of our members talked about how she pushed her boyfriend to get tested for HIV. Her boyfriend was also shocked to find out that he may need to go every few months to get tested. It bewildered me because I didn't know either (then again, I am not yet sexually active).

I come from a place where sex education pretty much includes STIs and why they are bad, HIV and AIDS and why they are bad, pregnancy and why it is bad to get pregnant when you're not married (sometimes it touched on abortion being bad), the actual ineffectiveness of contraception, and pretty much preached abstinence the whole way through. They didn't talk about testing for STIs, HIV, or AIDS and how treatment works, the types of contraception available, or how the sexual organs functioned. It was pretty much "sex ruins your life, save it for marriage".

I decided I will write my paper about HIV and AIDS as well as try to persuade my class (or group) to donate or join in on the AIDS walk. The money goes to local clinics and organizations that assist individuals affected by HIV and AIDS with health care, housing, general support, and prevention. Not to mention some of them also raise awareness through advocacy and education. I have my cause and my argument, only one slight problem....

Where do I start looking? Research-wise, I have some books and have found some websites regarding the statistics, history, function (of the disease), and information about the AIDS walk but I want to find out if there were any sources you all recommend (I looked on Netflix to find this documentary, but they do not have it). The library at my school will be open over spring break this next week so I will have much access to book and newspaper sources.

Other than that, wish me luck. Cheers!

(If you are interested in the AIDS walk and happen to live in America or are passing by, here's the site to go to: http://www.aidswalkkansascity.org/)

That is an excellent question-- I don't know.

Rose

Posted Sat Mar 9th, 2013 8:46am Post subject: Persuasive Paper: Sources

Hiya,
Good luck with your work. A search of google scholar here http://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?hl=en&q=h.....p;as_sdtp=
In my experience, these results reasonably represent the quality of articles on university databases, so may as well use google scholar!

WannaBeLinguist

Posted Tue Apr 9th, 2013 2:39pm Post subject: Persuasive Paper: Sources

Well, unfortunately and fortunately, my small group chose a different topic for our group project (trying to help a local animal shelter, wish us luck!).

This is indeed fortunate for me because I now have a topic for a persuasive speech in my speech class. I just need to adapt the paper into speech format and I'm golden. And, Rose, thank you so much for your help, I was able to find an article that helped out quite a bit by using scholar.

WannaBeLinguist

Posted Thu Apr 18th, 2013 7:28pm Post subject: Persuasive Paper: Sources

Gave my speech Tuesday-- nervous as hell, but I made it.

I went two minutes over time (it was meant to be a 6-8 minute speech-- whoops!) but other than that, I got relatively good reception. now I can just chill and focus on my next challenges-- a math test, a history test, a community project with a 10 page paper, and my FAFSA... Yay.

WannaBeLinguist

Posted Sat May 4th, 2013 1:50am Post subject: Persuasive Paper: Sources

Results are in: for my AIDS Walk speech--- *signs A grade* A!

Also went to the KC AIDS Walk last Saturday-- it was cold and it rained like hell but it was a great time despite the fact that we literally swam in mud.