Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

ClaireB

Posted Tue Aug 5th, 2008 7:43pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
I have just seen an item on Channel 4 News about a woman in America who has had her loved and recently deceased dog cloned. But surely although the pup will physically resemble her old dog, she would have to relive every event and experience that she had with her previous pooch to stand a chance of her new dog resembling the character of the old. It cheapens animals making them replacable objects rather than breathing sentient beings.

Dallyhard

Posted Tue Aug 5th, 2008 10:54pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
For god sake its a fricking dog! I'm sure its 'life experiences' will be pretty much the same. What is it with all the sad god dang animal lovers - go out and meet some humans yeah?
"But my dog is so loyal. My dog never lets me down."
That's cos its a god dam dog!
Clone em, copy em, whatever - its just a damn freakin dog
Oh and they make lousy avatar pics too

fryfan20

Posted Tue Aug 5th, 2008 10:56pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
it was here in the news also, and apparently it is a big question if the cloned pups stay alive for very long. this is for my a step to far, i understand she loves her dog and want it forever (and she haves the illusion that it is the same dog). but you can really go to far.

I am what I am

Dallyhard

Posted Tue Aug 5th, 2008 10:59pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
Poor bitch

Dallyhard

Posted Tue Aug 5th, 2008 10:59pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
The dog that is. Of course.

Red Raven

Posted Tue Aug 5th, 2008 11:30pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
Everyone that knows me knows I love my dog Spanky. He's been a good little buddy over the years and he's smart and doesn't shit in the house or chew my stuff or hump anything or...well, you get the point. But I wouldn't clone him. A dog as cool as Spanky is kinda rare and I wouldn't bother with another dog after he's gone.

And Dallyhard...my love for my dog has nothing to do with going out and meeting humans as I'm sure it doesn't with a lot of dog lovers...yeah?

Occy

Posted Wed Aug 6th, 2008 5:25am Post subject: Pet Cloning
I would not clone any of my dogs, and I do interact with human beings. It's tossers like dallyhard (tryhard?) that I try to avoid.

Claire - a cloned dog would have some of the same behaviours as the previous dog but would not be the same.

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Aug 6th, 2008 6:40am Post subject: Pet Cloning
I agree. A genetically identical dog is still a different animal. She'll soon find out that it's not all in the genes, because she does not have only one cloned puppy but five of them.
I know myself how sad it is to lose a beloved animal, but this does go to far. If I truly love an animal I know it can't be replaced by a genetical copy. Somehow this all reminds me of Stephen King's 'Pet Sematary'.

JSKanga84

Posted Wed Aug 6th, 2008 6:42pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
Yeah, clones are never exactly like the source, not just because they don't share the same experiences, but as with identical twins-- natural clones-- there are unique personality differences and genetic mutations that make each individual, well,... individual.
Besides, a special pet belongs to one time period, and one set of experiences with you. There's no way to re-live that part of your life again; it would only be a pale imitation, and would in some way cheapen the real thing.

Dallyhard

Posted Wed Aug 6th, 2008 8:45pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
I ate some dog once, during my time in the far east. Well, it may've been more than one dog of course. Bit chewy but I can see that cloning them for food may be of some benefit.

wildfire

Posted Wed Aug 6th, 2008 9:43pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
I don't think it's sensible to clone animals for keeping as pets - the actual process of harvesting eggs and artificial fertilization is guaranteed to be unpleasant to the animal, and it's not benefiting the animal or anyone else, now or in the future.

I'm surprised it's legal to do that.

- what's wrong with letting pets breed and be raised naturally, or buying a new one?

TobiasMonk

Posted Thu Aug 7th, 2008 1:48am Post subject: Pet Cloning
- what's wrong with letting pets breed and be raised naturally, or buying a new one?

Nothing, I suppose some people just can't/won't let go?

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

ladyfromhamburg

Posted Thu Aug 7th, 2008 12:29pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
I ate some dog once, during my time in the far east. Well, it may've been more than one dog of course. Bit chewy but I can see that cloning them for food may be of some benefit.

Your remarks are always rather sarcastic, aren't they?

Dallyhard

Posted Thu Aug 7th, 2008 5:52pm Post subject: Pet Cloning
Are they? Well, perhaps a little I suppose.

Occy

Posted Fri Aug 8th, 2008 9:29am Post subject: Pet Cloning
Are they? Well, perhaps a little I suppose.

No they aren't sarcasm - they are stupidity and it's a wonder this tosser is still on the forum - has he actually talked about stephen at any point?.