Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 11:15am Post subject: Peter's Friends
Good lord, why was there never a "Peter's Friends" thread before? What an excellent film that was. It came as quite a surprise to me that neither Mr Fry nor Mr Laurie had written a word of it. I thought that Stephen's character was very much like him, other than his being diagnosed with HIV. The way in which he self-deprecatingly feels he has not lived up to his earlier promise, quoting GK Chesterton at the dinner table, trying his very best to be as nice as possible despite severe provocation - all these things struck me as the closest he has ever come to a fictionalisation of himself.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 6:20pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
PF is my favorite Stephen film.

I would like to know how much of it Rita Rudner and Martin Bergmann actually wrote. Or what the original draft looked like before it was cast. Like you say, Stephen is squeefully Stepheny. I'm sure there was some ad libbing along the way.

One thing I noticed is that Hugh is the only "friend" who Stephen never hugged. When everybody showed up, it was all, "Yay! Andrew's here!" Hughughug. "Yay, Sara's here!" Hughughug. "Yay Maggie's here!" Hughughughughughughughughughughughughug . "Oh, it's Roger." Handshake. And Mary snorgled against him later.

Perhaps Stephen hugged him too much in real life.

Who do you think gave the best performance in the film? Aside from Stephen, of course I vote for Imelda and Tony.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Wildean

Posted Wed Apr 11th, 2007 8:47pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
I'd say Imelda and Hugh. Their scenes together are brilliant.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Apr 12th, 2007 11:15am Post subject: Peter's Friends
I agree. In fact I was so fooled by the thought that Peter and Stephen were the same person that I almost believed Hugh and Imelda were a real couple and had experienced the same personal tragedy. Perhaps the only time in my life when I've confused fiction and reality in the same way that soap fans and Doctor Who fans so often do (by the way I am a Doctor Who fan so I am not speaking critically of all fans, just the ones who are daft enough to go to conventions and ask Sylvester McCoy about something he did "in his third incarnation").
Strangely though, I never thought that Kenneth Branagh was a recovering alcoholic or that Emma Thompson was a sad old spinster with a crush on Stephen.

ysabella

Posted Thu Apr 12th, 2007 11:44pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
Putting this on my Netflix queue. My husband's seen it, but I never have.

ysabella

Posted Tue Apr 17th, 2007 12:18am Post subject: Peter's Friends
Arf! Netflix doesn't have it. Well, I will find it.

Secret Princess

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 11:01am Post subject: Peter's Friends
I've not seen it, but I borrowed it from my mum at the weekend. Me and my boyfriend are going to watch it tomorrow

Dina

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 11:23am Post subject: Peter's Friends
Best movie ever. It makes me feel all warm and squishy and fuzzy inside. Everyone is just so fantastic in it. Favourite scene's the piano bit, when they all sing! And Emma! And Imelda! Watch me flail with happiness.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed May 2nd, 2007 7:15pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
I'm always seeing the video in charity shops. I taped it when it was on Channel 4 a year or so ago.

Assuming direct control...

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat May 12th, 2007 3:28am Post subject: Peter's Friends
I might have too much time on my hands, but I just noticed

PETER'S FRIENDS

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Maniac

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2007 3:32pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
Just watched this.
Made me quite emotional.

CEPalmer

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2007 4:10pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
Have read all of your wonderfully helpful comments, logged onto amazon and bought this with express delivery. Now all I have to do is wait. Damn.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2007 4:11pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
Dramatically speaking, I'd say it could even be Stephen's finest hour. Then again I haven't seen Wilde or Kingdom.

Maniac

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2007 4:23pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
Dramatically speaking, I'd say it could even be Stephen's finest hour. Then again I haven't seen Wilde or Kingdom.

Not seen Wilde or Kingdom!?
Can't wait for Kingdom to come back.

Saturn

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2007 9:49pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
Great film, I always watch it when its on.

Probably, apart from Wilde, Stephen's best film performance.

It's all a bit lovey-dahling-sweety thespian but great fun and great performances all round.