Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Piera

Posted Sat Mar 29th, 2008 10:07pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
I think I may be in the very, very thin minority when I say I didn't enjoy it. It was just too predictable, and the constant 80's teen movie soundtrack became much too annoying, and well...predictable.

I just found it hard to watch because of all the awkward moments within (like when Peter wants to say something at the dinner table and keeps and keeps and keeps on getting interrupted with the wine serving; it was moments like those, which are plentyful in the film that made me cringe).

With that being said, Hugh Laurie's big scene was just brilliant. He really shows what a great actor he can be when given a dramatic role.

With all due respect though, this is just my opinion on the film.

Oh, for those who live near a Borders Books, the movie is currently on sale for $9.99 just in case you were looking to purchase it.

zamielsrose

Posted Sat Apr 19th, 2008 5:30pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
i remember seeing PF at the minerva theatre cinema (don't ask - it's both) in chichestershire. the scene with rita rudner and her eating disorder in the kitchen had me sobbing inconsolably in the dark; such a bittersweet perfect beautiful film - to this day, music from the soundtrack has that proust's madelines effect on me.
(and yes, thank you, i know there's probably some psychology going on when a person talks about eating disorders and then cakes in the same sentence!)

gemini

Posted Wed Oct 1st, 2008 12:36pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
I'm kind of digging this topic out but anyway..
I like the movie in general. But there's one thing, one big thing that really pisses me off everytime I see it: Before I ever saw it I read a summary of it somewhere on the internet and it revealed that at the end Peter is announcing to his friends that he has some serious desease. It didn't say which so I thought maybe the usual brain tumor or some such thing. But when I actually watched it and it's turning out that he is HIV positiv I as I mentioned above was pissed. I mean am I the only one who thinks that this is such a fucking cliché? Just because Peter is gay he must have Aids?

WhatWouldJeevesDo

Posted Wed Oct 1st, 2008 3:29pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
I'm kind of digging this topic out but anyway..
I like the movie in general. But there's one thing, one big thing that really pisses me off everytime I see it: Before I ever saw it I read a summary of it somewhere on the internet and it revealed that at the end Peter is announcing to his friends that he has some serious desease. It didn't say which so I thought maybe the usual brain tumor or some such thing. But when I actually watched it and it's turning out that he is HIV positiv I as I mentioned above was pissed. I mean am I the only one who thinks that this is such a fucking cliché? Just because Peter is gay he must have Aids?

Well, you have to look at in the context of the time. When the movie came out in 1992 HIV/AIDS was a hot topic so I wasn't surprised that this would be Peter's illness. And I do not really recall that many movies at the time tackling the issue.Also, I do believe Peter was actually bisexual and promiscuous. Having that said, I know some people think bisexuals are promiscuous and this sort of perpetuates that notion, but again looking at the context of the times I don't think that's what the film was trying to do. The film, in part, was trying to advocate awareness and understanding about the disease.

We have a better understanding about HIV/AIDS now and we know that it is affecting our heterosexual population as well as homosexual population. So it is sort of a cliché now, but it was not back then.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Oct 1st, 2008 7:52pm Post subject: Peter's Friends
True about both the time the film was made and the fact that it fitted Peter's character. Peter probably caught it before it was more widely known that unprotected sex was a risk (had the film been made later there might have been questions from both the characters and audience of "why didn't you wear a condom?"). There needed to be a dramatic sense that Peter had caught something from his lifestyle. Yes, HIV can be caught in other ways and even avoided while still pursuing the same lifestyle, nonetheless it would have had less dramatic and sympathetic impact if it had been, say, lung cancer from his smoking. Plus it had to be something that wasn't entirely hopeless (hence HIV and not AIDS) and wouldn't have so obviously affected his health that it would have been obvious he was ill.
It also fits with the fact that he puts off revealing it for so long and the initial reactions are embarrassment, vague commiserations and talk of "they might find a cure" and then the talk of his bravery when he leaves the room. I don't think any other illness would have made Peter so secretive or made their reactions quite the same.

gemini

Posted Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 11:27am Post subject: Peter's Friends
Yeah, you have a point there in saying that HIV was the big topic in the early 90's, and that it wasn't a clichè back then but is now.Oh and there's a movie called "And the band played on" made around the same time, don't know if you've ever seen it, it's quite interesting.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Thu Oct 2nd, 2008 11:39am Post subject: Peter's Friends
Yep I remember that but I'd like to see it again.

exoskeleton

Posted Fri Apr 3rd, 2009 5:02am Post subject: Peter's Friends
bumping to say that I possess this movie for the weekend! I hope I enjoy it?

it's another great library loan. if Stephen wrote bomb-making manuals, I'd be braced for the Feds to come knocking at my door. X-D

sockdolager.