Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

meekychuppet

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 8:49am Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?

Terri

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 11:40am Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
My eldest boy had several goldfish, each pair were called Jennings and Darbishire, but then we had a couple more at the same time, so I think they were Venables and Temple (hands up if you know where we got the names from!)

But they're sadly no more. I'm not meant to have pets in the house since I moved into rented, but after Dom (7) was so sad at letting the rescued rabbits go (see "lovely little things" thread) and he loves rabbits, we're thinking about getting him a couple.

So I have a few questions, if anyone can help please?

1) are they expensive to keep?
2) is it better to have two, for company?
3) do they need tons of room to run about in?
4) how long do they live?
5) do you tend to see second hand hutches/runs for sale quite cheap?

Cheers!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 12:24pm Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
So I have a few questions, if anyone can help please?

1) are they expensive to keep?
2) is it better to have two, for company?
3) do they need tons of room to run about in?
4) how long do they live?
5) do you tend to see second hand hutches/runs for sale quite cheap?

Cheers!

1. They're not expensive to keep. You need a hutch, possibly a run if your garden isn't secure enough for them to run round, a water bottle (not a dish), a food bowl, fresh supplies of sawdust and of course food. You need to clean the hutch every week and you're supposed to clean the toilet corner every day or you'll get maggots (no really you do) - try and get a hutch which doesn't have a ledge, it's easier to clean if you can just brush the sawdust off the edge of the hutch otherwise you're left with more corners to scoop out of. So you'll need a dustpan and brush as well. I found a scraper was very useful for cleaning out the toilet corner.

2. If you want two make sure they're both females unless you're wanting babies. If they're both male they will fight each other (even....well rape each other. I've seen it happen looking out of the window at my boyfriend's into a neighbour's garden not nice, the rabbit's butt was bleeding and died shortly after). I think having two rabbits for company is better. I always wanted two at the same time but my parents never let me. I think they can get lonely on their own.

3. Yes they do. You need a secure garden that they can't escape from. They're fast runners and given the chance they'll bolt off. As long as there's no way they can run out of the garden when the gate is closed you shouldn't have a problem but open gardens with no fencing at all will be a bugger (that's how I lost my third rabbit, we moved to a house with no fences and the back garden opened out onto some woods, perfect for a rabbit to get lost in). If you don't have any fencing don't despair though, you can get a run for the rabbits. There are different sized ones depending on how many rabbits you have. Your garden doesn't have to be big. When I had my third rabbit the garden was small and secure with no grass (grrr) but there were flowerbeds so the kept digging in them and hiding under the plants and nibbling on them. X-D They'll chew on anything. You can buy leashes for rabbits and take them out for walks, I never did it but I've read that you can house train pets in the same way as cats and dogs. I've also read that sometimes rabbits and cats can get along if introduced in the right way and brought up together. I've never tried it with a rabbit but I did once try to bring another cat into the house but my cat absolutely hated the new cat and was mean to her so we had to give her back.

4. Between 5-10 years if they're well looked after.

5. I don't know I'm afraid. I haven't owned a rabbit in years so hutches aren't something I look out for or look at the prices. I have no idea how much they'd cost. Sorry I couldn't be more help on this one.

Assuming direct control...

Terri

Posted Tue May 8th, 2007 12:54pm Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
Absolutely fantastic, thank you!!! I have a mid-sized garden at the back, which, if I put some wire along the bottom of the gate, should be fine for them to run about in

Thanks so much for your help, hopefully I'll have a happier fuzzy picture to post fairly soon then!

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed May 9th, 2007 2:44pm Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
Absolutely fantastic, thank you!!! I have a mid-sized garden at the back, which, if I put some wire along the bottom of the gate, should be fine for them to run about in

Thanks so much for your help, hopefully I'll have a happier fuzzy picture to post fairly soon then!

That should work. As long as they are no gaps in your garden perimeter they should be okey. Glad to be of help. I look forward to seeing cute fuzzy pictures from you.

Assuming direct control...

Betsie

Posted Thu May 10th, 2007 3:19am Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
I've always wanted a snake.

Snakes are very cool. I had a corn snake for a few years. His name was Guttata since the genus species of the corn snake is Elaphe guttata. He even helped my mom overcome her fear of snakes.

I also had a pet rat named Lucy. She was a blond hooded rat - I got her in college and had her for 5 years!! She would snuggle under my chin while I read at bedtime. She was so good - I could let her run around my room when I was home, and she never got lost or stuck.

Hey Meeky, what are your dogs' names? Are they Scotties, or Is the one a Westie? I'm such a sucker for a fuzzy terrier face. WAAAAHHHH! :'(

ratoutofhell

Posted Thu May 10th, 2007 6:22pm Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
I also had a pet rat named Lucy. She was a blond hooded rat - I got her in college and had her for 5 years!! She would snuggle under my chin while I read at bedtime. She was so good - I could let her run around my room when I was home, and she never got lost or stuck.

5 years? You sure? That would be (*does the maths*) about 170 in human terms... The longest I've ever known a rat live is 3 years, and the few who last that long are very very frail by the time they pop off....

What was the secret? What did you feed her on?

I'm flabbergasted....

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

Betsie

Posted Fri May 11th, 2007 12:40am Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I was shocked too - expected tumors anyday. Maybe it was 4, but I got her in my junior year of college and had her for a couple years into my 1st vet job.

She got some healthy greens sometimes, and other niceties rec. in the book on pet rats I had. I WAS lucky to have her so long - she was special.

Phlizz

Posted Fri May 11th, 2007 1:33am Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
Heh how odd - I also had a pet rat named Lucy

Britannicus

Posted Sun May 13th, 2007 9:51am Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
I have two dogs, two cats, two goldfish, and a cockatiel bird.

One of my cats, Sibyll, is sitting in my lap. She will lick my chin, my mouth, my nose, my cheeks, every time I lower my face enough. She purrs nonstop and meows every time things get quiet. Now she has given up kissing my face and is sitting in the space between the keyboard and the edge of the desk, daintly licking my wrists and fingers as I type.

She didn't always act this way. A fortnight before Christmas last year, and only two nights after I'd come home from college, she snuck outside. She is strictly an indoor cat, but she managed to slip out this time. While she was out there, a neighborhood cat attacked her. She'd never been in a fight before, not even with our other cats. (At the time, we still had three -- our eldest, Alisha, died recently from heart failure.) I heard the sounds of the fight, and went to the front door to shout at the offenders. I wasn't aware that one of them was Sibyll, as I thought she was safely indoors.

I threw the door open hard, wanting it to clang loudly, and I let out a sharp sound of warning to startle the cats out of their battle. The two were thrashing at the end of the porch. At my interruption, a gray one promptly bolted away down the street. The other cat, Sibyll, ran to the end of the driveway. In the dark, I only saw the reflection of two eyes staring back at me. With her black fur, Sibyll's shape was obscured in the darkness, so even looking right at her, I couldn't be sure that it was really her. But something tugged at me and I took a small step toward her. She immediately bolted down the direction opposite that which the other cat had taken.

By that point I'd realized something was wrong. I went back into the house, briefly, to turn the light on. The light illuminated the steps coming up from the driveway to the porch. They were littered with chunks of black fur. Not just any black fur -- a particular kind. Long, soft, and silvery gray at the roots. Sibyll fur. I immediately went back into the house to look for the flashlight. Sibyll was an indoor cat, practically no survival skills, and she was young, really young, with hardly any body fat to speak of. And it was getting cold.

The next few days were spent playing the waiting game. The "oh-she's-just-hiding-somewhere, she'll-be-back-in-the-morning" bit. Such fun. But she never did. The walks spent calling her name out progressed to just sitting outside for long stretches at a time, which then progressed to eventually approaching the neighbors for help. (The last a particularly hard task for me -- avoidant disorder, if you will.) I'd asked my best friend for help, the only friend still in town at the time. She came over one day, but left after an hour due to the cold. Further calls to her house went unanswered, I'll never know why. Perhaps the ever-approaching Christmas.

Finally, after I'd begun to find myself hopelessly gazing at the talons of passing hawks for shreds of black fur, and I'd worn out all foolish fantasies of saving Sibyll from wildlife or moronic people or whatnot, I gradually gave into the idea that maybe she was dead. Not all of me gave into it, though. I began sleeping outside during the night, with a coat and a few blankets beneath the pine tree, snow and all. Last desperate attempt, a hope that I would awake in the morning with her nuzzling in the blanket next to me. But I got very little sleep as it was, and that fantasy never happened. I looked at my neighbors with suspicion, looked at their dogs with even more. A need for more assistance, for more help, had me giving in to a primal instinct, asking the trees and air and ground to send along the message to Sibyll -- come home.

The next day was Christmas Eve. Resigning, I dragged my blankets and pillow back into the house. I slept in my bed that night. And that next morning, Sibyll did come home.

Our dog Dunno found her. He is the one that pushed her back into the house. By her prints left in the snow, she had walked around and around our house during the night, in the front yard, the backyard, the deck, even the top of the shed, trying to get in. She finally spent the night in the empty dog house, where Dunno eventually discovered her. My dad told me to wake up, and when I did, there she was, standing outside my bedroom door.

She was skinny as a rail, her bones sticking out. She shied away from everyone, only gradually allowing us to come near. She did not smell like the outdoors, but like an oily garage. The whiskers on one side appeared to be cut. She ate food ferociously, so much that we had to take it away from her to prevent her from making herself ill. She spent most of the day sleeping.

Incredibly jubilant, I went to take down the "Lost Cat" posters that I'd placed around the area, only to find that someone had already done it.

Since then, Sibyll has recovered well. Yet she is far more attached than she was before, so psychologically, she has changed. But she still longs to go outside every time a door is open, and on occasion, when I am going to be out there for long stretches myself, she is allowed to come with. On one of those occasions, she was approached by the same cat that had attacked her that day -- she promptly chased him off, snarling.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

joan

Posted Sun May 13th, 2007 12:23pm Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
Well - that must have been awful for you and the puss. happy ending though.
Our black tom, Mao, is a lovely cat: he 'talks', purrs, and keeps my feet warm on the bed at night. He is an indoor and outdoor cat: we cut a cat-sized hole in the security screens and put a little cat ramp outside for a previous, old rheumatic cat who since died of old age, and is buried just in front of a tall gum tree. So Mao has easy access in and out.

Britannicus

Posted Thu May 17th, 2007 6:46am Post subject: Pets - Do you have one and what kind?
Tabitha in her favorite sleeping position -

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"