Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Saturn

Posted Fri Dec 28th, 2007 9:54pm Post subject: Phone...help - help???
I'm really sorry for starting a bit of a downer thread and I know this is the worst time to ask on the board and everyone's probably got a lot better things to do than be on here but I really need some help if anyone can give me any.

I hope there's someone on here that knows a thing or two about phones because I know nothing at all.

Every time I phone my friend's mobile I get the recorded message

'It has not been possible to connect your call. Please try again later'.

This has been happening for over three weeks. I've tried ringing at all different times of the day but still always get the same message.

I have had this message in the past, but its usually temporary for a few hours or at most a day or two, but never for this long.

I know its not my phone as I have a strong signal and I've tried other numbers and putting my sim card in other phones and I have no problems making or receiving calls.

I've even e-mailed 02 and have not received a reply from them

I can only guess [and hope] that the person I'm trying to call is having problems with her phone.

What I want to know is, is this a network problem, a signal problem, has the phone gone out of range, is it broken, locked, is there no credit in it?

Is this message a standard one for a whole range of problems or for one specific one?

Is there any way I can find out what's happened?

I want someone to tell tell me that I'm not being intentionally ignored or cut off before I totally lose the plot.

Tell me I'm overreacting, tell me I'm being paranoid, delusional, tell me I'm nuts, tell me I'm being stupid and worrying too much, tell me its anything but that.

I don't know what else to do and because you people on here have such a wide range of skills and knowledge about all different things and are so often very kind and helpful I couldn't think of where else I could ask.

Believe me I wouldn't draw attention to myself like this or make a thread about this unless it was really important or I wasn't at the end of my wits about this.

I mean its the festive season and New Year soon and all that and not being able to talk to your closest [or only] friend is a bit distressing to put it mildly.

I'd be really grateful if anyone took the time to read this and for any help/advice you could give.

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Dec 28th, 2007 10:02pm Post subject: Phone...help - help???
Have you got absolutely no other way of reaching them?

seasun545

Posted Sat Dec 29th, 2007 9:17am Post subject: Phone...help - help???
Well, maybe that person lost her phone and It is somewhere and has no battery left.

Or maybe the phone was stolen and nobody answers, just using it to phone or it´s been cancelled..and your friend doesn´t remember your phone number to tell you and she had no chance to go to see you and telling you.

Maybe she went out for Xmas and she´s somewhere without connection.
Have you tried to find her home phone number (is there yellow pages there to do that?)

Have you tried to phone from another phone?...then you would know she´s not cutting you off, it´s just her phone really doesn´t work...

And I find no more options, but will keep on thinking...there could be thousands of reasons...

Don´t get so worried before having the reason, dear.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Dec 29th, 2007 11:05am Post subject: Phone...help - help???
Please, try not to be too worried. I would phone the O2 help line (emails are often overlooked) and ask about your friend's number and the message you're getting. I have no other piece of advice, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find some way to contact her!

whattocallmyself

Posted Sat Dec 29th, 2007 2:12pm Post subject: Phone...help - help???
well, that message is used for when the phone is out of range here.
It can also be used when the phone is turned off, if it does not have the automatic answering-machine-thingie.

Dont worry, there is probably a very simple explanation.

Onwards and Upwards!

Saturn

Posted Sat Dec 29th, 2007 4:16pm Post subject: Phone...help - help???
Well to answer some of the questions put yes there's no other way of getting in touch with her, they don't have a landline.

They definitely haven't gone on holiday, she's very poor and they have very little money.

I know where she lives but I've never been there, and plus its nearly 25 miles away from me, I could get there but wouldn't know how to find it, and anyway that would be wrong of me to do that really calling on someone unannounced, she might be angry about that.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I really hope you're right for my sanity's sake :'(

This is the last thing I need right now

seasun545

Posted Sat Dec 29th, 2007 5:42pm Post subject: Phone...help - help???
Well, hope you finally find her. Let us know, hun, and don´t get too worry, ok?
Hugs.

ClareBear

Posted Sat Dec 29th, 2007 7:14pm Post subject: Phone...help - help???
you will usually get that message under the following circumstances:

phone's turned off/ no battery

sim card's not in a phone/connection between their sim and the network cancelled

they have no signal

Whether they're on either PAYG or contract, they should still be able to receive calls...do you have any mutual acquaintances?

I'd say, if you're worried about them and they're out of contact for 3 weeks, go see them. If they're sniffy (if they're the sort to be sniffy) then just tell them you were worried.

Maren

Posted Mon Dec 31st, 2007 11:36am Post subject: Phone...help - help???
I can understand that you don't want to visit your friend unannounced (though it's hard to imagine somebody getting angry about a worried friend).
But maybe you could try it with a registered letter including a stamped self-addressed evelope. So to answer a few words would'nt cause any costs.
But I hope you have heard from your friend in the meantime and everything is allright!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 1st, 2008 7:27am Post subject: Phone...help - help???
the us may be different from the uk as far as phone things go..., but i got that message once when my friend was unable to pay her phone bill!!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 1st, 2008 7:30am Post subject: Phone...help - help???
the us may be different from the uk as far as phone things go..., but i got that message once when my friend was unable to pay her phone bill!!

Precisely what I was thinking.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 1st, 2008 7:33am Post subject: Phone...help - help???
I want someone to tell tell me that I'm not being intentionally ignored or cut off before I totally lose the plot.

Tell me I'm overreacting, tell me I'm being paranoid, delusional, tell me I'm nuts, tell me I'm being stupid and worrying too much, tell me its anything but that.

You aren't being ignored, Saturn. There's no way to have that particular message delivered to only one incoming caller. Everyone is getting that message, it's not just you. Breathe easy.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 1st, 2008 7:37am Post subject: Phone...help - help???

You aren't being ignored, Saturn. There's no way to have that particular message delivered to only one incoming caller. Everyone is getting that message, it's not just you. Breathe easy.

Yeah, honestly, i think if someone blocks you and only you, the message would say you were blocked from calling.

and, you aren't being ignored.... because you aren't getting through to the person's voicemail. they probably don't even know you are calling.

faghag

Posted Tue Jan 1st, 2008 5:50pm Post subject: Phone...help - help???
Hi, I think the problem is that the phone is switched off or out of signal range. If they had no credit you would still be able to call them. The best way to check if they are ok is to call round, or in an emergency,send a special delivery letter tommorrow which would be signed for by 9am the following morning. Don't worry, i'm sure all will be ok. (!)

Saturn

Posted Tue Jan 1st, 2008 9:23pm Post subject: Phone...help - help???
I really hope everyone is right about this.

I already a few weeks back sent a Christmas card with a little not in it with my number on it and just asking her to get in touch

I can still send texts and in a very down moment I sent a very emotional sounding and desperate text a few days ago :-//

I have no idea if any of the texts I've sent in the past month have even been read or not.

The thing is I don't believe anything bad has happened to her, I just don't know what's going on between us.

It's all very complicated but I don;t know how much longer I can go on like this without going totally potty.

What if I never find out?

I really hope I'm making a fuss about nothing as usual but its hard to be hopeful about that.