Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

StickyKeys

Posted Thu Aug 23rd, 2007 11:25pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
As we all know by now His Royal Fryness Stephen Fry will be touring the 50 states for an indepth tour and look at America.

I know the state of Texas is amiss with people wanting him to pop by, California is worth at least a four city tour, right?

What state are you in and why should Stephen come visit your neck of the woods?

I'll go first:

Nebraska - Lincoln/Omaha

Now we know the top three sports America loves are baseball, basketball, and FOOTBALL!! There is no better institution than that of US College Football (BIG XII holla!) and there's no better school that exhibits team spirit and sportsmanship than the Univeristy of Nebraska at Lincoln! The football games are a blast, but sometimes even more fun is the city during a football game, it cannot be beat.

DID YOU KNOW?

Nebraska is home to several American legends: Malcolm X, Gerald Ford, and Johnny Carson just to name a few. Charles Starkweather is also a Nebraskan if you're feeling a bit naughty.

A city in Nebraska has the 3rd largest population of homosexuals per capita in the nation!

Omaha Steaks are considered the best!

Kool-aid was invented in Nebraska, the first flavor was rootbeer!

Nebraska is one of the top ten states for immigration and thus has a wealth of cultural and ethnic diversity.

So come to Nebraska, I'll set you up at the incomparable Embassy Suites and make you a Sunday dinner, even if it's on a Tuesday!

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Aug 24th, 2007 12:25am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
Illinois. Specifically, Chicago.

We've got Boystown, brand-spanking new Millenium Gardens, super-tall-ass skyscrapers, a sparkling-clean downtown, the coolest New World university (whoot, U of C) and the prettiest lakefront this side of the puddle.

Also, if you comes by around 21st-22nd of November, he can attend the Great Latke-Hamantash Debate! Heck, if he wants to, he could probably to arrange to be a guest speaker!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Latke-Hamantash_Debate

The Stuttering Lanterne

Posted Fri Aug 24th, 2007 1:16am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
More Nebraska! Haha!

More people from Nebraska - Marlon Brando, Fred Astaire, Henry Fonda, Alexander Payne, and Andrew Jackson Higgins (designer of the Higgins boat/LCVPs used during WWII), to whom there is a bloody great memorial in my hometown.

It's the only state with a unicameral (one-house) legislature.

The figure on top of the Capitol is not, as is commonly assumed, a bowler - he's sowing seeds.

Glurs Tavern, in my hometown of Columbus, is the oldest tavern west of the Missouri River that's still in operation. It was built in 1876. Buffalo Bill Cody frequented it when he was in the area. As a wee thing, I often went there with my mom and her friends on Fridays. Their hamburgers are quite good, if I remember rightly.

Nebraska has 93 counties. The 93rd is Hooker County. This is all that half the people in my class can recall from 8th grade Nebraska History.

Some strange, presumably unenforced, Nebraska laws:

Persons with gonorrhea may not marry.

If a child burps during church, his parent may be arrested.

It is Illegal to go whale fishing.

It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

It is illegal for a mother to give her daughter a perm without a state license.

There is a town called 'Norfolk' in Nebraska. However, for some slightly bizarre reason, it is generally pronounced 'Nore-fork.' Probably for the same reason that 'Beatrice' is pronounced 'Be-AT-riss' and 'Kearney' is 'Car-nee.'

Supplemental reading:
http://www.blacktable.com/munson040616.htm

Haven't found the Hitler thing from any credible source, but the rest of it...SO FREAKING TRUE.

stomper4x4

Posted Fri Aug 24th, 2007 3:27am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
Michigan

I'd first like to pimp Detroit, as that's where I currently live. Detroit first became a settlement in 1701. There has recently been a revitalization of the downtown area with the addition of Comerica Park for the Detroit Tigers baseball team and Ford Field for the Detroit Lions football (American football) team. The city lies on the Detroit river across which is Windsor, Ontario. This is one of the few places in the United States where one has to go south to get to Canada! The Ambassador Bridge will take you there!

There is a happening rock music scene here which gave birth to bands like the White Stripes and The Von Bondies. Detroit is also considered by many as the birthplace of electronic music. We have an Opera House and a Symphony Orchestra.

Another interesting part about Detroit is the history of segregation here. Anyone who grew up in the area (as I did) knows what "8 Mile" represents. Eminem starred in a film by this title. 8 Mile Road represents the North/South boundary between Detroit and its northern suburbs...there are many white people in the northern suburbs of Detroit who are petrified to cross 8 mile!

Detroit is an interesting city in that there are pockets which are absolutely thriving and lovely, as well as pockets that not even the bravest Detroiter would brave. There's a lot of emptiness here.

Also of interest in Michigan would be the Mackinac Bridge which connects the Upper and Lower Penninsulas of Michigan. It is currently the third longest suspension bridge in the world, at 26,372 feet. The bridge is an amazing thing to see and a terrifying thing to drive across, as the roadway over it is see-through grating! It would make for beautiful television though!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Fri Aug 24th, 2007 5:29am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
honestly, i'd promote every corner. i have a "homeland" and a current residence... but i've been to lots of states... i love the differences between them all. differences like...

**40 miles in new england is a weekend road trip, but in the plains it's getting dinner somewhere.**eating cheese on your pie instead of ice cream ** pop vs. soda. **are there, or are there not, chiggers here? (oh... geeze... has anyone warned him?)** why is everyone in this restaraunt facing the front door? oh... ** swimming in the ocean, vs swimming in a dirt colored lake, vs sneaking into a quarry...(they all sound so appealing today) ** *how in the HHhhhhhhell do i get liquor in this state?**softball sized hail!**boiled peanuts???**WRIGLEY FIELD!!** totally empty places.**bison. and tallgrass.

i can't promote any one place over another, i have memories of them all...

(aside:... in the middle of the country, people tend to think i am a 16 year old boy and not a 20something year old woman. makes for awkward trips to the potty.

StickyKeys

Posted Fri Aug 24th, 2007 5:39am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
I need to go to Detroit, my mom once bought half a cow from there! Chicago is my favorite city in the world (umm, next to LINCOLN, NE!!) and when I get rich I will live there with Oprah!

ps. It's Nebraska spelt backwards!

And yes, the regional differences are great which also include: fish & spaghetti? Warsh vs wash, dinner vs supper, sweat vs savory cornbread, stop talking so fast, stop talking so slow, what did you say? Tobasco vs Hot Sauce, and so many lovely variances from coast to coast and border to border. It's truly a fantastic country.

delicious

Posted Fri Aug 24th, 2007 6:04am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
I'm not sure what's on the agenda for this series, but I'd like to ~pimp~ my city, Philadelphia. Aside from a ridiculous homicide rate, cheesesteaks, rampant corruption, and the Rocky Steps (yes, there is a museum at the top of those steps), we've also got piles of touristy Birthplace of the Nation places, a reasonable art scene, a famously loud orchestra, and the Mummers ( http://www.mummers.com/ ). Glitter, feathers, banjos, and prancing around center city. Why? I'm not sure, actually. Aside from the New Year's Day parade, all the bands do smaller parades, private shows, concerts at the Mummer's museum, etc. throughout the year.

I'm in the Irish American String Band - we're not particularly good, but we have fun and we've got heart, and that's what I'm there for. This past New Year's performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84hGtOYnTXA
I'm behind the giant cloud at the left front of the start formation. TRUE STORY, I'M REALLY THERE. Somewhere. Next year I hope to play the accordion and wear something sparkly.

glamour.fish

Posted Sat Aug 25th, 2007 11:40pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
Well I must "pimp" Texas in general, because if you can get past the overly conservative politics of large parts of the state, it's an absolutely fascinating place.

I must admit that I'm partial to my own little corner of Texas, which contains the city of El Paso (and is also one of the least Republican places in the state).

El Paso is located in the westernmost corner of Texas, directly across the border from Juarez, Mexico, and was founded in 1659 by Spanish conquistadors. During the Wild West era El Paso was dubbed as the "Six Shooter Capital" due to its great remoteness and lawlessness. Although the US Census only lists El Paso's current population at 721,598; when this is combined with the population of the neighboring Juárez metropolitan area, the total metropolitan area had a population of 2,280,782. El Paso itself is over 75% Hispanic.

Across the border, the Kentucky Club was established in 1920 and has been in continuous operation ever since. The local folklore maintains that Bob Dylan drank here while penning “Tom Thumb’s Blues.” Marilyn Monroe visited the bar after her divorce to Arthur Miller, buying the patrons a round of drinks in celebration of her divorce. Jack Kerouac, Hemmingway and Ronald Regan are also said to have visited the bar.

In 1930, Conrad Hilton opened his first high rise hotel in El Paso, now the Plaza Hotel.

The popular drink, the Margarita, was another famous invention given a home in El Paso. It was first mixed in the El Paso-Juárez area at Tommy's Place Bar on July 4, 1945 by Francisco "Pancho" Morales. Morales originally left bar tending in Mexico to become a US citizen.

Additionally, the only time Johnny Cash actually spent in jail was in our county lockup after U.S. Customs agents found hundreds of pep pills and tranquilizers in his luggage as he returned from a trip to Juarez, Mexico in October 1965.

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 12:21am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
Bah! If Stephen visits Texas, it's Austin he'll visit, I bet!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 12:42am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!

oh... but what about the home of the big texan, the 72 oz steak?
GROSS.

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 12:48am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!

GROSS.

Do you *want* him to get a heart attack?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 1:05am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!

GROSS.

Do you *want* him to get a heart attack?

NO:(!) (however if he wants "72 oz of meat", i'm not physically capable of stopping him)..
it's strange, ever since hearing about this project, i keep thinking of places and things to warn him about!
"NO! NO! NOT THE BIG TEXAN! cross that Red River!"

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 5:18am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
(however if he wants "72 oz of meat", i'm not physically capable of stopping him)..

I . . . better not say anything

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 5:33am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
I think Stephen should go to one of the many Renaissance Festivals that occur throughout the country. And he should go dressed as Melchett. Oh, look. There's one near me . . .

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 9:20am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
fryphile, why don't you tell him there's a carravaggio (john the baptist) at the nelson atkins?