Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 4:31pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
fryphile, why don't you tell him there's a carravaggio (john the baptist) at the nelson atkins?

BTW, Stephen, there's a Carravagio at the Nelson Atkins Museum.

Saw it there a couple weeks ago.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

StickyKeys

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 8:55pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
OH fryphile, so subtle and elegant! X-D

I think El Paso is far better than Austin, but then again I can't stand Austin (you've seen one Big XII town you've seen them all, except Lincoln is the best! Come here!!).

Lincoln's Capitol building looks like a penis! You gotta love that, and if someone gawks at it you can ask them if they have some meat stuck in their teeth and have quite the bawdy row!

AxmxZ

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 10:52pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!

I think El Paso is far better than Austin, but then again I can't stand Austin (you've seen one Big XII town you've seen them all, except Lincoln is the best! Come here!!).

Lincoln's Capitol building looks like a penis! You gotta love that, and if someone gawks at it you can ask them if they have some meat stuck in their teeth and have quite the bawdy row!

I feel insulted on the behalf of my first American hometown. Austin is way more than just a Big XII town.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun Aug 26th, 2007 10:55pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!

I feel insulted on the behalf of my first American hometown. Austin is way more than just a Big XII town.

yeah... i haven't been there but i've heard good things.. lots of music and cool stuff. (sorry that's vague) so wait... isn't nebraska big 12 too? are you all having a collegiate sports related tiff??

StickyKeys

Posted Mon Aug 27th, 2007 3:51pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
so wait... isn't nebraska big 12 too? are you all having a collegiate sports related tiff??

Well naturually! I was having fun, but Lincoln, Ne is home of the UNL huskers and there are a ton of similarities between us and Austin. One thing as a black woman I've heard tale of Austin being this huge liberal mecca of Texas when really it's not. The music scene is pretty innovative and they have some lovely homegrown shops and restaurants, but in terms of diversity there's not a whole lot going on. They have a lot of enlightened college goers and residents who move there, but it's a pretty typical college town in terms of mentality. I think El Paso is far more diverse. Even Dallas and Houston to an extent.

And the Big XII was a collegiate jab , we'll get you yet UT!

I think Stephen would enjoy the bats of Austin, and make sure to sample some good southern BBQ! Yumm! And I would pay CASH MONEY* to see a pic of Stephen in Emo's. Seriously, CASH MONEY*!

*CASH MONEY not guaranteed. More like a "thanks" or "awesome!"

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Aug 27th, 2007 4:09pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
*makes the Hook'Em Horns sign that once got Bush mistaken for a Satanist in Norway*

glamour.fish

Posted Mon Aug 27th, 2007 5:19pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
[quote="StickyKeys"]And I would pay CASH MONEY* to see a pic of Stephen in Emo's. Seriously, CASH MONEY*!

*pictures Stephen in Emo's* oh man, i second this. that would make me happy for not just the day, but at least for a good week. And Stubbs. I want to see him in Stubbs Barbecue.

And Austin is a really wonderful town, but its problem is it has a hard time living up to its own hype as this liberal mecca of cool. That, and the past 5-10 years have seen an incredible level of commercialization on that idea, which has caused a lot of the more innovative funky little shops and things on Guadalupe to close down. It's still a fun place, but it tries too hard and has an overinflated sense of itself on some issues (like the whole diversity thing).

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Aug 27th, 2007 8:27pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
*makes the Hook'Em Horns sign that once got Bush mistaken for a Satanist in Norway*
HA! why would he do that in norway???
i'm a born and raised oklahoman....
but i won't brag. that OU football team is all bought and drugged.
i'm not much of a fan.
it would be cool if he went to oklahoma... because NO ONE goes there. people even try to make crosscountry trips and hit every state... and forget oklahoma.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Aug 27th, 2007 8:59pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
[quote="glamour.fish"]And I would pay CASH MONEY* to see a pic of Stephen in Emo's. Seriously, CASH MONEY*!

*pictures Stephen in Emo's* oh man, i second this. that would make me happy for not just the day, but at least for a good week. And Stubbs. I want to see him in Stubbs Barbecue.

And Austin is a really wonderful town, but its problem is it has a hard time living up to its own hype as this liberal mecca of cool. That, and the past 5-10 years have seen an incredible level of commercialization on that idea, which has caused a lot of the more innovative funky little shops and things on Guadalupe to close down. It's still a fun place, but it tries too hard and has an overinflated sense of itself on some issues (like the whole diversity thing).

I hear the same thing from a bio/philosophy prof at UT I'm friends with. (Well... 'friends' may be overestimating it... I'm something like an academic groupy. He's been in Austin since 1998 or so, and says that things have really gone downhill.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Aug 27th, 2007 10:04pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
I've put on my fuzzy lime fedora, my luscious purple suit with zebra-skin lapels, my wacked-out white platform shoes, and five gold rings on each finger, so let's pimp the hell out of Independence, Missouri.

1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A and Canada Before You Die mentions five places to see here:

1. The Truman House. No, it's not the sequel to The Truman Show. It's where 33rd president Harry S Truman grew up. Spoiler alert: There's wallpaper on the kitchen ceiling.

2. The Truman Library. Yeah, Truman is treated as a God where I live. Speaking of God . . .

3. Community of Christ Temple. For the Mormom in you. Joseph Smith, Jr. did say that Independence was the center place for the city of Zion. I see Neo every day.

4. The Vaile Mansion. Never toured it, but it looks fantastic.

5. Santi-Cali-Gon Days Festival (it's this weekend, Stephen, so you better hurry) celebrates the Santa Fe, California, and Oregon Trails, all of which go through my fair land.

6. My collection of Star Wars toys. NOT.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Aug 27th, 2007 10:15pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
what are people from independence called?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Mon Aug 27th, 2007 10:27pm Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
what are people from independence called?

Awesome.

IDK

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Aug 28th, 2007 12:13am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
independents?
itdependspants?
indapandance?
independencians?
independenze?
indepenzance?
independites?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Aug 28th, 2007 12:33am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
Independencians has a nice, complicated sound.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Aug 28th, 2007 12:40am Post subject: PIMP YOUR STATE!: Come visit ME, Stephen!
Independencians has a nice, complicated sound.

gather round ye independencians,
put on dress that's pirates-penzancian...