Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 10:03pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
I do think there is a point here.
Why do people spend thousands of pounds changing how they look? How long ago did the real side of life go and get replaced by something that is false.
I don't care what someone looks like as long as they are a good person.
It is something i can't understand things being made bigger, longer, slimmer.
Any opinions?

ratoutofhell

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 10:58pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
It's a difficult question. It's all very well to say looks aren't important, but for first impressions they are; we are judged on our appearances constantly, and we judge others on theirs whether we are fully conscious of doing so or not.

On the one hand, I believe that the constant striving for physical "perfection" is a symptom of a diseased society which cannot accept anything other than its self-imposed ideal. On the other hand, if people want to slice themselves up in the name of so-called beauty then let them.

In my high-minded and argumentative moments I would never consider surgery to correct anything about my appearance. In dark moods I would change everything.

And for a laugh, there's always http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/
You'd think some of these people would be able to afford a decent plastic surgeon.

"If you are dirty, insignificant and unloved then rats are the ultimate role model" - Banksy

JVONEARTH

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 11:01pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
X-D X-D X-D Your right there

Aoibheann

Posted Tue Mar 13th, 2007 11:43pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
Im not sure about the whole thing. Fair enough if you REALLY want to, if it makes you happy. It does strinke me as a bit sad, you know? Just accept what you got. Suppose at the end of the day, its your body, if you want to change it go for it. if it makes you feel better or happier in anyway its okay. but then it kinda is for the wrong reasons... we shouldnt really judge people on it tho, what ever floats your boat really

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 12:41am Post subject: Plastic Surgery
Eh. My mother once asked me if I wanted my very Jewish nose done to look more generic. Hell no.

trouser material

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 7:50am Post subject: Plastic Surgery
Plastic surgery is for celebrities who feel they need to look 'young' forever, else the media will publicly humiliate/burn them at the stake. Anybody else that has plastic surgery (exceptions in the case of burns victims etc) is a shallow and empty headcase.

boffinbabe12

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 8:44pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
I'm not against plastic surgery, as long as it doesn't turn into a habit or just something you do. I think it should always be considered as a drastic choice. But for ages I was considering having my nose done because I thought it was an Indian man's nose and did not suit my face. I don't think i would have it anymore, but I would never say never to the idea.

meekychuppet

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 8:49pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
I don't need it. I am gorgeous.

boffinbabe12

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 8:55pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
I don't need it. I am gorgeous.
Yes Meeky, but imagine someone from this site hunted you down and disfigured your face... The doctors stitch you up and fix what is broken but you are not nearly as beautiful as you are now... would you have it done?

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 9:15pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
I have one or two reasons to be dissatisfied with my appearance, but plastic surgery or botox? Certainly not. Varietas delectat. But given the scenario you depicted, boffinbabe, in case I became disfigured through illness or an accident, I'd be happy if there was a surgeon who could give me my face back.

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 9:33pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
I have one or two reasons to be dissatisfied with my appearance, but plastic surgery or botox? Certainly not. Varietas delectat. But given the scenario you depicted, boffinbabe, in case I became disfigured through illness or an accident, I'd be happy if there was a surgeon who could give me my face back.

I agree a 100%.
Here in the UK we have this weekly programme "10 years younger" (rubbish.. watched it once or twice) where women (usually in their late 30s and older) are first judged by 100 passers-by as to their age, with their average age being calculated based on their answers, and then a major effort is made to make her look 10 years younger than her poll age - and that includes cosmetic surgery and usually a visit to the dentist to have veneers fitted And then of course that poor lady looks decades younger. Good for her!
BUt it is sending out all the wrong signals, i.e. a woman cannot look good without a little help from the surgeon, but that is so wrong! And all those who are not happy with their looks, but could never afford to see a cosmetic surgeon are left to feel even more miserable... how sad is that (!)

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 9:55pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
Really sad. There was a similar show in Germany. A team of surgeons, personal trainers and stylists chose a few women who wanted a total makeover. They were put into a house entirely without mirrors for 100 days. Then the makeover started: ALL candidates had their teeth done, even if they didn't had bad ones. I think that teeth that are not 100% straight can add to someone's personality and make a face more interesting, but with those ugly veneers this was totally destroyed. Next step was surgeries according to their wishes, breasts, nose, chin, liposuction, you name it, you got it.
The rest of the 100 days was workout and dieting. Finally they were dressed in evening gown and were allowed to look at themselves in the mirror for the first time. Usually they broke down in tears because they were being so happy.
Disgusting. No wonder more and more teenagers want to have their breasts enlarged and liposuction and whatnot when shows like that give the impression that contentment and happiness could be achieved by unnecessary surgeries.

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 11:16pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
I'm not going to get anything done. I'm happy as i am as you can see from my picture i'm just average and i'm happy to stay like it.

boffinbabe12

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 11:17pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
Picture- what picture?

JVONEARTH

Posted Wed Mar 14th, 2007 11:20pm Post subject: Plastic Surgery
OH haven't i posted it ? oh silly me i wonder how i forgot that X-D