Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

caz57

Posted Fri Mar 16th, 2007 3:44pm Post subject: Please help a new member :?
Hello.
I have been "unwell" for years.
Started with depression, panic attacks at 14.
I feel i may have Bi-Polar. After seeing the Stephen Fry program, I actually feel quite happy, and relieved, that others feel the same!
It explains so much about my behaviour, and the things I have done in my life.
When I have plucked up the courage to go to my GP, I burst into tears, she gives me anti-depressants, I feel ok for a few months, then start sliding down again, forget my pills, and end up back where I was.
My main question is, how do I tell my doctor, I want to see a psychiatrist, and that I think I may have manic depression.
I have just answered my own question, but it is so hard for me to do it.
I even thought of having a stiff drink, to give me some courage.
I am afraid of a diagnosis and afraid of being told there is nothing wrong with me.
Thank you for any help.

thesecretlifeofamanicdepressive

Posted Fri Mar 16th, 2007 8:52pm Post subject: Please help a new member :?
I felt the same.

I'd advise you to keep a mood diary for a month. Record mood changes, rate your mood (like 5, being very hyper or manic, and 0 being very depressed) and note things like feeling paranoid.

Then bring it to your GP.

JVONEARTH

Posted Fri Mar 16th, 2007 10:01pm Post subject: Please help a new member :?
And if your gp does nothing or gives you tablets without asking lots of questions then push to see someone else don't take no for an answer

Kit Ellis

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 2:50am Post subject: Please help a new member :?
(POST DELETED)

caz57

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 5:23am Post subject: Please help a new member :?
Thank you all for the help
Last time I saw my GP, she new I felt suicidal (I told her i didn't want to live like this)
She said, "you won't do anything will you?"
I said "no"
That was it, back on the pills (sertraline)
I am 42, and have felt "different" since I started with depression/anxiety, when I was 14.
I have even gone through periods of feeling like I have schizophrenia and a few weeks ago, when very very upset. I was convinced I was retarded and no one had told me, because I feel so out of society, not normal, not doing what people are supposed to be like!
I will come back and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.

Kit Ellis

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 6:37am Post subject: Please help a new member :?
(POST DELETED)

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Wed Mar 21st, 2007 11:56pm Post subject: Please help a new member :?
My GP put me on fluoxetine which worked okay for a while, but over time it made my rapid cycling worse, completely wiped me out in terms of energy, and caused erectile dysfunction - which is about as depressing as you can get!
I was on Fluoxetine too, though I didnt have the erectile problem (lack of a penis helped) I did get tired ALOT but it stopped me wanting to kill myself so I cant complain too much....

At the moment, my place is trashed 'cos I haven't got the energy or inclination to pick up my litter.
If its anything to you, My room is a disgrace! I cant keep it clean... Its actually a symbol of my mind, when Im feeling low it gets very very messy and when I am feeling better I start to clean it. Most times its a mess. I just cant clean it, its too difficult.

I was convinced I was retarded and no one had told me,

Caz that sums it up perfectly!

JVONEARTH

Posted Thu Mar 22nd, 2007 12:00am Post subject: Please help a new member :?
Not just me then

caz57

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 10:18am Post subject: Please help a new member :?
Thank You Kit Ellis, for makng me feel "normal"
I can never get my place straight, and have very little energy to tidy up.
I can manage things for the kids (washing, feeding, and the essentials) but am way behind with decorating and repairs. Things just slide, where an ordinary person, would get these things done.
That is one of the most annoying things about depression.
Others have "normal" houses and lives, even my garden has got into a tip!
I do get round to these jobs, usually spend morning, noon and night on them, then drop when I am knackered!
I once decorated a 3 bed house, from top to bottom, in 3 weeks, and I had a 3 month old baby too, and don't know how I did it !

Kit Ellis

Posted Fri Mar 23rd, 2007 10:30am Post subject: Please help a new member :?
(POST DELETED)

butterfly83

Posted Wed Mar 28th, 2007 10:14am Post subject: Please help a new member :?
Hello, i am from malaysia. i was diagnosed with bipolar since i was 17. for years i have been mana'ging my manics and lows. but medication has helped and also coz trouble. i have been in n out of jobs. i didn't perform so well at studies. i was aso spending recklessly. i knew bout stephen fry bout a magazine clip that my sister sent. it also had jim carrey, robbie williams who were also bipolars. i always found myself figuring what i wanted to be. i was good at baking. so i took up classes. i never went pro. becoz constantly i was broke. my support groups and friends were changing. i always never stayed in one group. i wnt to belong to a group who understand what it's to have bipolar. and stick and listen to the group. i hope you could enlighten me. i've seen psychiatrist and therapist. done the whole thing keeping the mood diary.
relaxation and etc. still i have relapse. but one thing for sure. my family support is strong. i had to stay with my dad. but now i am getting a job and having my own room. the key is to aim for monotheraphy and self-management.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Mar 28th, 2007 11:29am Post subject: Please help a new member :?
Hi

Sounds like you have quite a together view on it all.

I wonder if the key to living with this condition (if we are all okay on calling it a condition, for the sake of a better word) is to accept that this is how it is for the individual, but that, whatever the baseline is for that individual, to also engage the idea that the effects on daily/weekly/monthly life can be managed better or worse, and in many cases very much better - in the sense that the effects of Bipolar on life can be made less disruptive by the choices the individual makes. This is the empowering view, rather than the point of view which declares that the individual just has to 'put up ' with the consequences of the condition. Across the forum i see both points of view expressed, and i am aware that at times the 'disorder' gives people little choice in what happens to them. But not always is my point, and your post is optimistic in this way, if I have read it correctly, which is nice.

I want to ask you - what is monptherapy?

Chris - neither haddock nor cod most of the time x

Fourth Feline

Posted Wed Mar 28th, 2007 8:24pm Post subject: Please help a new member :?
Hi

I want to ask you - what is monptherapy?

"Mono therapy" is the need to use only one medication instead of many at one time , ( which is referred to as "polypharamacy" ).

For example, for some people Lamotrigine acts as both a mood stabiliser and anti-depressant in one drug/tablet.

Regards,

Derek

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Mar 28th, 2007 9:20pm Post subject: Please help a new member :?
Thanks, that's completely clear and useful to understand.

Ps My cat Lucy is on fractions now! Cheers Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline

Posted Thu Mar 29th, 2007 2:47pm Post subject: Please help a new member :?
- My pleasure Chris:
Your cat continues to amaze me as much as you charm me. Such is the world of the feline species, be it two legged or four legged !

Regards, ( to you and yours )

Derek