Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

0as

Posted Thu May 28th, 2009 3:05pm Post subject: Please help me in choosing web hosting
Hi everyone,
I am sorry for possible offtopic, but I need your help in find new web hosting provider as soon as possible, because my current host (ixwebhosting.com) is kicking me off, they say 'your account is using a lot server resources', but my website gets only about 200 visitors per day and my disk usage is 1500 MB (maybe they do not like that?)

Anyway, what would be your recommendations for getting reliable web hosting? Where are you hosting your websites? Are you happy with your providers?

I am now checking http://www.hosting24.com/ - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
I have contacted them about this question and they say something that "These days 500GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will run out of disk space we will simply add new 500GB disk drive with almost zero costs and you can continue uploading without any problems".

What do you think about it? Maybe things have changed in last 4 years? With my current provider I get only 2GB of disk space for $10 per month..
Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.

keatealphonse

Posted Mon Jun 8th, 2009 12:52pm Post subject: Please help me in choosing web hosting
5 steps to guide your web hosting choice:

1. Reliability is the main requisite: when choosing a web host many people base their decision on the offered disk space and bandwidth. Unless you already have a very popular blog you will hardly use even 10% the bandwidth on most hosting plans. The main factor on your decision, therefore, should be the reliability of the host (i.e. the speed of the servers and the uptime).

2. Research online: in order to verify the reliability of the different web hosts you will need to research online. Use search engines to gather customer reviews and check the online forums dedicated to web hosting (the best one is Web Hosting Talk).

3. Stay away from oversellers: it is very tempting to sign up with a web host that offers many Gigabytes of disk space, Terabytes of monthly bandwidth and unlimited domains. Specially if they charge $5,95 monthly for those specifications The only problem is that those hosting providers are clearly overselling, and thus they are not able to guarantee service quality. When choosing a web host look for a company that offers reasonable specifications.

4. Test the support service: before signing up make sure that you send some emails to the sales support. Check how fast they answer, how friendly they are and what degree of technical knowledge the operators have. If a company has a poor customer care department to begin with its very likely that other parts of the business will have the same performance.

5. Don’t be cheap: if you are serious about your website or blog you should invest some money into a good web hosting solution. I am not saying that you will need a dedicated server right from the start, but consider that if you want a reliable and fast provider you will need to spend from $10 to $20 monthly.

michael

Posted Mon Jun 8th, 2009 4:35pm Post subject: Please help me in choosing web hosting
pardon if this sounds offensive, but are either of you human?

please tell me all you know about koalas.

(if you are, my apologies. i can be a little skitty sometimes...)

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

exoskeleton

Posted Mon Jun 8th, 2009 5:18pm Post subject: Please help me in choosing web hosting
^I do not think they are human. and if they are I don't think they're humans who are interested in the content of this forum.

I am always charmed by interacting spambots though. sometimes they can be found in comments articles, where they are talking about the subject of the article and using some relevant words, but are besides that gibberish.

like:
oweithe23: I prefer Stephen Fry author Fry and Laurie, it is classic was Blackadder and comedy.
hlsihroi439: me too I Jeeves was fun also and shows. actor and comedy, a good piece was Hippopotamus.

sockdolager.

michael

Posted Mon Jun 8th, 2009 11:10pm Post subject: Please help me in choosing web hosting
^I do not think they are human. and if they are I don't think they're humans who are interested in the content of this forum.

I am always charmed by interacting spambots though. sometimes they can be found in comments articles, where they are talking about the subject of the article and using some relevant words, but are besides that gibberish.

like:
oweithe23: I prefer Stephen Fry author Fry and Laurie, it is classic was Blackadder and comedy.
hlsihroi439: me too I Jeeves was fun also and shows. actor and comedy, a good piece was Hippopotamus.

does that conversation actually exist?

we need a frigging turing test!! halp!

the terminators will take over!!

AIEEEEEEEE!!!!!! *pshk! booshk! and other explosive noises made while running in slow motion and jumping behind my desk*

WHERE'S JOHN CONNER!!??

exoskeleton

Posted Tue Jun 9th, 2009 12:30am Post subject: Please help me in choosing web hosting
no, that conversation came purely from my head, from illustrative purposes.

but I agree, we are clearly having a bot problem. *er* *er* *er*

sockdolager.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jun 9th, 2009 9:20pm Post subject: Please help me in choosing web hosting
It can be solved by using one of those 'type what you see in here' boxes. I'll just assume you both know what I'm referring to. But it's something the Admin here needs to 'get under the hood' to take care of so until then the rest of us will, sadly, have to follow Mr.Michael's lead and dive behind our desks X-D

you can haz web hostin'?

Really? Wow.

michael

Posted Tue Jun 9th, 2009 10:25pm Post subject: Please help me in choosing web hosting
It can be solved by using one of those 'type what you see in here' boxes. I'll just assume you both know what I'm referring to.

yeah but it'd be cooler if it was "what two animals, fictional or real, are having sex in this box?"

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jun 10th, 2009 12:14am Post subject: Please help me in choosing web hosting
It can be solved by using one of those 'type what you see in here' boxes. I'll just assume you both know what I'm referring to.

yeah but it'd be cooler if it was "what two animals, fictional or real, are having sex in this box?"

X-D

I've had a seriously bad day so thank you michael, I'm still chuckling, not sure what that says about my sense of humour though.