Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

D.Webster

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 2:48pm Post subject: Please help me with this word before i go insane
I've been killing myself trying to recall a word which Stephen used in an episode of QI.

The word is used to describe a type of claim which can neither be proven nor disproven.

An example of this would be the claim that: "The oldest profession in existance is prostituation", something that goes so far back that no one can actually know the answer.

I cannot get my head past the word 'Subrique', but i know that is not right, and it's definately neither 'Rhetoric' or 'Hyperbole'.

I have spent no less than three hours looking for this damned word and am now far too invested in it's existance.

Please, if anyone knows the answer to this, can you reply to this post with the episode letter and series, you will have succeeded in improving one man's sleep no end.

Help

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 3:52pm Post subject: Please help me with this word before i go insane
Sobriquet.
I think?

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 5:29pm Post subject: Please help me with this word before i go insane
http://www.qitranscripts.com/ Might help. It's not syllogism, is it?

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

gjhsu

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 5:40pm Post subject: Please help me with this word before i go insane
what luck! I popped in a random episode of QI and it's the one in question. Subtitles say it's "subrique"

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 6:07pm Post subject: Please help me with this word before i go insane
Time to play the lottery I think, gjhsu.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

D.Webster

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 6:25pm Post subject: Please help me with this word before i go insane
Series 2, Episode 4 -

"Stephen - Well, quite, that's its sobriquet, isn't it. "The oldest profession." "

I had remembered the word out of context. It is not the category of argument that is called sobriquet, but the fact that Prostitution has become attached to the term "the oldest profession".

Thank you very much to all those who responded, once again the internet shows it's incredible worth to the neurotic.

I leave you fortunately wiser, though lamentably older.

gjhsu

Posted Fri Jun 19th, 2009 6:41pm Post subject: Please help me with this word before i go insane
Time to play the lottery I think, gjhsu.

In all likelihood, I've spent my alloted amount of luck on that instance.

Greengalipote

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 3:52pm Post subject: Please help me with this word before i go insane
I think you mistook the meaning of Stephen fry's sentence though. A "sobriquet" is the french word for a nickname. What he was saying is that "the-oldest-profession" is the nickname people use when they refer to prostitution.

I'm afraid it hasn't much to do with being provable (does that word exist?) or not...

ginj

Member *

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 4:08pm Post subject: Please help me with this word before i go insane
I think you mistook the meaning of Stephen fry's sentence though. A "sobriquet" is the french word for a nickname. What he was saying is that "the-oldest-profession" is the nickname people use when they refer to prostitution.

I'm afraid it hasn't much to do with being provable (does that word exist?) or not...
Ah Thank you. I wasn't satisfied with the answers I was coming up with, and could find no such word. However, not having access to QI other than the snippets on You Tube I couldn't review the video. Now I have to call of my search hounds.

gjhsu

Posted Sun Jun 21st, 2009 5:44pm Post subject: Please help me with this word before i go insane

I think you're right, which means the subtitlers that worked on the QI Series B DVD were wrong!