Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Jack

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 1:35pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
To everybody,
Whilst I have never posted here, I have been reading the Stephen Fry forum regularly and consistently since the very beginning. Since September, the forum has been home to a myriad of witty and intelligent discussions, many of which have been a credit to both the community and to Stephen.
However, it is normal for such discussions to lead in some cases to dispute and disagreement. Most of the time this aids the debate and makes the forum a more interesting place to visit. But sometimes, albeit rarely, such disagreements can lead to irrational and unfair comment and behaviour.
The vast majority of members here will know about a certain member's recent suspension from the forum, to which this observation refers. Over the past couple of weeks a couple of threads have discussed the state of the forum and the community. Many members, I notice, are unhappy.
"I used to enjoy the debates and humourous wars of words which took place on here, but all this has been pruned away for the sake of wet, dippy chatter by members i shall not mention. This site is unrecognisable from the one i registered with in January, i have nothing in common with, or to say, to the majority of the members on here," said one very active member.
Whilst I don't want it to, it is my feeling that eventually this forum may be forced to close. Everything that is published here becomes part of Stephen's official website, and, for a proper discussion to occur, I believe that it is only fair to take the community somewhere where it cannot impact negatively on Stephen and his press. This forum is, at its best, too valuable to be simply deleted, and those who have left it deserve an alternative.
Registration is now open at a new unofficial forum. Administrators will be trusted members of the posting community and will help to more tightly manage the forums, hopefully preventing a repeat of recent events, without limiting the right to a reasonable debate.
I hope that many members who have decided to leave this forum will register on the unofficial one and resume posting right away, and that many who have decided to stick around will also engage in the discussions alongside those here on the official forum. Please understand that this is in no way an attempt to diminish this forum, merely an alternative and a backup plan. Even if you decide to join the other forum, please continue to contribute to the discussions here!
Lastly, the unofficial forums are by no means finished. If they are well received and remain active in a couple of months time we shall register a proper domain name and establish ourselves properly. In the mean time you can visit http://fry.qupis.com/ to register for an account.

Adam

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 1:47pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
It's been a while since I have seen such a non-issue as the fuss I made blown up to the epic proportions witnessed on here.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 2:13pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
'We'll fight them on the beaches.....' etc.

JVONEARTH

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 2:16pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
It will be ok. So many people with so many problems, opinions, and answers. It's bound to hit the fan at some point.
If we learn by what mistakes have been made then it should sort itself out.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 2:25pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
It wasn't really a non-issue though and therefore not overblown but necessary.

If this forum goes there's always the Fry Control forum, that's even older than this forum (by a year) and then there's imdb.

Assuming direct control...

Adam

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 2:54pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
It was a total non issue that boils down to a directed insult. That's it. All of the self-righteous and narcissistic bilge I have seen posted since is purely ego-massaging.

Welcome to real life where not everyone is nice.

Phlizz

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 3:00pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
Why is it that if this board is a peaceful place that isn't full of contrasting opinions that it means the board might have to close? Surely some topics merit a bit of controversy but not everything? Perhaps I speak only for myself and I'm one of the wet dippy members (and I realise I am new too) but as much as I like a bit of good discussion, I quite like the posts that just have pictures we can swoon over and the posts that make me think "Gosh, isn't the world such a fluffly place because of Stephen?!"

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 3:41pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
It was a total non issue that boils down to a directed insult. That's it. All of the self-righteous and narcissistic bilge I have seen posted since is purely ego-massaging.

It wasn't as simple as you're making out. Your behaviour was out of line. You were insulting and/or upsetting people other than those who were harassing you. You may think that's acceptable behaviour but in reality it isn't regardless of whether you think 'the real world' is a nice place or not. It wouldn't be tolerated on any other forum and I don't see why here we should tolerate it. You may think it was a non-issue but I don't.

Adam

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 3:48pm Post subject: PLEASE READ

It wasn't as simple as you're making out. Your behaviour was out of line. You were insulting and/or upsetting people other than those who were harassing you. You may think that's acceptable behaviour but in reality it isn't regardless of whether you think 'the real world' is a nice place or not. It wouldn't be tolerated on any other forum and I don't see why here we should tolerate it. You may think it was a non-issue but I don't.

Dude - seriously - give it up. I don't care. Post away to your hearts content, I'm not interested.

deliverance

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 3:52pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
This could just be an example of macrocosm/microcosm.

It is human nature to disagree and therefore argue.
On any forum on the internet, you will have a diverse section of humanity. This creates a mini society which reflects reality.

Would people prefer a board where political correctness censors everything?
I am sure Mr Fry would prefer people to be people and just get on with life.

From reading some of the threads, I have wondered if there are more than a few attention seekers on the forum.
My opinion, however irrelevant it may seem, is that the forum should continue as normal and members should just get on with it!

In my experience, if you throw your toys out of the pram too often, you find that you are soon without your toys.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 4:04pm Post subject: PLEASE READ

Dude - seriously - give it up. I don't care. Post away to your hearts content, I'm not interested.

Sure I will. If I feel there's something that needs to be posted. If not, then I won't. u_u

This could just be an example of macrocosm/microcosm.

It is human nature to disagree and therefore argue.
On any forum on the internet, you will have a diverse section of humanity. This creates a mini society which reflects reality.

Would people prefer a board where political correctness censors everything?
I am sure Mr Fry would prefer people to be people and just get on with life.

No censorship isn't a good thing but then that's not the same as people respecting each other on a forum really is it? Censorship is when a board admin asks you not to post about certain subjects - i.e. on this board Stephen Fry's personal life, on others it's swearing. Disagreements are natural in discussions, not everybody agrees on everything and that's perfectly fine but offending people and insulting them is something else altogether and doesn't make for a good forum. It creates an unpleasant atmosphere.

boffinbabe12

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 5:46pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
If this forum goes then I shan't join another- it would be too hard! :'(

Jack

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 5:51pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
Adam, please stop your consistent ranting for a moment and observe: nobody on this forum is doubting that, as you put it, "not everyone is nice". The fact is, as well as the friendly light-hearted conversations, many serious debates and discussions take place here. THIS IS A GOOD THING. Forums are gatherings of people with different viewpoints and opinions. For such threads to exist is natural and beneficial, and nobody - nobody - has said that they would like them censored or prevented. Whether your recent suspension was justified or otherwise, Adam, is irrelevant. The fact is, it has created a great deal of heated response, much of which may not sit too well with Stephen's management. The reason for my establishing this new forum was not, as you put it, "self-righteous and narcissistic bilge". I was not aware of the Fry Control forums, and merely wished the community to know that the place for heated discussion and argument may not be Stephen's official website. Responding to a civilised discussion with comments like "I would do well to shoot jizz in to my own eye" (posted my meekychuppet here) is exactly what will get this forum deleted.

Kaseryn

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 6:04pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
From what i could see you baited and/or insulted whenever you could. That includes myself, though I chose not to bite. I've been loathe to comment up until now, and had hoped that the collective goodwill of the forum in general would have shut you up by now. Anyway, we all know not everyone's nice. Point is, you can disagree without being a prick about it. I for one won't miss you, and look forward to the general atmosphere of this forum improving.

Adam

Posted Sun May 6th, 2007 6:07pm Post subject: PLEASE READ
From what i could see you baited and/or insulted whenever you could. That includes myself, though I chose not to bite. I've been loathe to comment up until now, and had hoped that the collective goodwill of the forum in general would have shut you up by now. Anyway, we all know not everyone's nice. Point is, you can disagree without being a prick about it. I for one won't miss you, and look forward to the general atmosphere of this forum improving.

Sorry, who is insulting whom exactly?