Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Squaredog

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 1:06pm Post subject: Podgrams... 2 comments from wee me.
I'm not sure whom I address in this forum - whether I am chipping into a cacophony of conversation or talking directly to Stephen - but on the off chance that you actually you have any time to read these, I shall talk to Stephen direct. I mean to 'you' directly. Sigh...already its difficult.

This term 'Podgrams'. What's that all about then? Its a new one on me and I am a little unsure about it. It reminds me of how Mac adopted i in from of everything and then everyone else followed suit... the iPhone, the iMac - then the BBC got involved with the iPlayer. Next we chall be giving birth to iChildren. I know the marriage is between Podcast and telegram and that Telecast is probably inappropriate on the basis it sounds like some BT invention from 1982 but Podgram? How about 'Message'? 'iFry'... the latter being a joke.

The other comment I'd like to pass on - is that I found the unscripted, whoozy podcast (there you go - PODCAST!!) much more interesting due to its lack of editorial vetting. It was very stark, unedited and intimate...Podcast 2 was scripted and tidy and 'presented' which (I thought) was a shame because, Stephen, we see the presented side of you often - and although it is very lovely and entertaining and much adored, the 'audio-verite of Podcast 1 showed a side to you that I thought was completely endearing, vulnerable and compelling.

Just my thoughts both humble and true - tear them to pieces and mend them with glue.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 2:33pm Post subject: Podgrams... 2 comments from wee me.
I personally take to audio verite a lot more. A written piece needs editing, but a spoken piece, I think, wins something from a lack of script, at least in the context of these informal unstructured podcasts.

Squaredog

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 2:47pm Post subject: Podgrams... 2 comments from wee me.
Agreed! Of course it is entirely up to Stephen and and whatever he prefers is fine by me, but I no doubt, suspect by his opening comments in podcast Intercomgram 2 he was not happy with the slightly down trodden feel it had - but I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THAT! It has an honesty that people not making 3 documentaries a month, a hit quiz show, panto script etc can relate to. Like us, even though he does all those amazing things and has all those amazing friends - he demonstrates that gloss in life is a manufactured thing. The carefully and lovingly crafted text spurned from the keyboard is very fine indeed - but is not as interesting.

Mind you I was listening to the first podcast at 3.20am last night and it was like having a voicemail from Stephen...really enjoyable!

Podcast 2 was like listening to a radio show. Equally enjoyable but not as newley enjoyable.

I say all this with affection of course.

AxmxZ

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 4:48pm Post subject: Podgrams... 2 comments from wee me.
I wonder which one he prefers... on one hand, unscripted podcasting is more intimate; on the other hand, it sort of lets people see more of the real him than he might like. It's not live, of course, and he can edit the less satisfying bits out, but still. Whereas radio is a tried and true medium, where he can shine, and he knows this.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 9:27pm Post subject: Podgrams... 2 comments from wee me.
i can only read them because i have a dial up connection that's often interrupted by tumbleweeds.

nongenderous

Posted Mon Apr 7th, 2008 11:04pm Post subject: Podgrams... 2 comments from wee me.
I prefer his first podgram. It was almost as if he was talking to me and I had some company while being alone in a crappy student flat. The second one was more like listening to the audio book of "Paperweight", but he's the one who's generously devoting time record them.The first one was something special. I just wanted to give him a big hug while I was listening to the program. This is no one's opinion but my own. He can do whatever he chooses, but if he were to ask me, I'd say I liked the first one the most.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Apr 9th, 2008 4:16pm Post subject: Podgrams... 2 comments from wee me.
I like both styles and am glad he's going to be alternating them. I like the structured versions which is more in his comfort zone and where he can shine and I like the rambly ones where he's "stark, shivering and naked".

Assuming direct control...

Soupy Twist

Posted Wed Apr 9th, 2008 4:30pm Post subject: Podgrams... 2 comments from wee me.
Same here, I couldn't say which style I prefer. To alternate them is a good idea.