Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

usfan

Posted Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 8:42pm Post subject: Podgrams Well Received
My user name tells you all you need to know regarding my state of mind upon down loading your first two Podgrams. They did not disappoint.
One cannot help but be overwhelmed by the amount of work you undertake.
In regards to the Dam Busters remake, I am very happy to hear that you have completed the script and first re-write. I look forward to seeing the film. I remember the earlier version very well, and have seen at least one documentary on the 617 squadron. Viewers today are used to computer generated FX, and what in television is called "procedurals". Since much of the technical data on the bombs was previously classified, I hope the film will inform; but not, as I might fear, to exclusion of the personal stories of the people involved.
I must,however, give a big "tut-tut" to your fondness for the verisimilar, "You can't dance to Beethoven". Ballet is repleat with such performances to his, as well as other classical, compositions.

rpaco

Posted Mon Sep 29th, 2008 2:53pm Post subject: Podgrams Well Received
Well we have both a Tallboy and a Grand Slam (Though sadly no bouncers) just down the road from me at the BBMF anyone can pop in with a tape measure, but I don't recommend trying to weigh them.

One thing which has been missing from all WW2 films is the illustration of the class divide between officers and other ranks, so well portrayed in Len Deighton's "Bomber" So I do hope that Stephen has made the script a lot more realistic and representative of the truth than has hitherto been seen.
The hero worship of Gibson whilst understandable does not need to hide his bombastic bullying arrogance.
I do hope that Stephen came and visited the BBMF and talked to the veterans who are now BBMF guides. (Flash news!!! William Wales is to be the Royal patron of the BBMF)
I hope he also shows in his script, the continuous sheer gut wrenching unremitting terror which afflicted all sane young men who spent 4-6 hours being frozen, deafened, occasionally blinded by searchlights and of course shot at from both the air and the ground. Not once, but day after day until most of them had died in the most horrible ways. Many of those young men would now fall into the Blair-yob age group.

I must also mention Popski's Private Army simply because no one else does, they deserve a film of their own. Stephen if you are reading this please have a word in the ear of a decent director, any of Jackson, Speilberg, or Scott will do. (How kind of me)
I recommend the Park Yunnie book, rather than Peniakoff's own.

M-y-s-t-e-r-y

Posted Tue Oct 7th, 2008 6:10pm Post subject: Podgrams Well Received
What is wrong with "You cant dance to Beethoven"?
I think that its a great quote and very true in its own meaning.
Do you jump up everytime you hear Beethoven and think - Oh, golly ! Somthing i can really tap my feet to now! Come on everyone, join in!
I do hope not.
*sorry about the Oh golly bit- i swear i have never actually said that in my life! It just struck me as an interesting expression, honest!

rpaco

Posted Tue Oct 7th, 2008 8:14pm Post subject: Podgrams Well Received
I am sure that Stephen has not been entirely honest, because I can recall his what can only be called "gyrations" at the end of each "Bit of Fry and Laurie" with the now huge in the USA (but Hugh over here) Laurie. Perhaps he would comment, but such lesser morals or even mortals as us can only cower in the shadows hidden from his radiance, lest we be consumed in the florescent crucible of his being such as may be unwittingly broadcast by the flick of a coattail. But a single syllable would reverberate a body to the core of the psyche leaving the surroundings gasping and sated . How's that for brown nosing?