Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

leedoyle

Posted Fri May 30th, 2008 10:38am Post subject: Poems and me (Question for all)
Hi, this is a help question so if I have posted in the wrong section I am very sorry (Please move me)

I have been writing poetry for around 9 months now due to some bad situations in my life. I had never written anything before this but for some unknown reason it just felt right.

I have just got my hands on Stephen Frys book The Ode Less Travelled: unlocking the Poet Within and started to worry.

The reason I started to worry is I have never read any poetry apart from a few that I have read on some blogs... I would like to know if anyone has any tips on some books to read and who I should look for.

Right now I am depressed due to the events in my life... I would like to find some poems which are written from the same points of view.

My English (Writing and spelling) is very poor. But I am trying not to let this hold me back.

Any help would be great.

fryfan20

Posted Fri May 30th, 2008 10:46am Post subject: Poems and me (Question for all)
hi leedoyle,

i don't think you have to worry because you never have read any poetry, if it feels right for you than it is right.

i'm afraid that i can't help on the matter of any books, i have not read any :-//

i'm sorry that you feel bad and hope that you will be better soon

I am what I am

leedoyle

Posted Fri May 30th, 2008 10:49am Post subject: Poems and me (Question for all)
Hi FryFan20,

I have to admit Poetry is what has got me through this whole thing. It has been my medication and it has made me understand so much.

I know most of what I have ever read is my own work... And even reading that answers many of my own questions about life... which is very strange.

I hope someone can help me with some book as I really cant wait to start reading.

Terhen

Posted Fri May 30th, 2008 1:33pm Post subject: Poems and me (Question for all)
Hello leedoyle!

I think that a good way to find what you need is to go to your nearest library and ask a librarian to recommend you some poetry-books/poets. Naturally you don't have to say any other reason for your request than a newlyfound interest in poetry...

I'm sorry that you're feeling depressed, and have had some bad experienses resently!!!! Hopefully you'll soon start to feel better!!! Writing poems is a good way to get things out of your system; in a way it heals the mind and soul.

One doesn't have to be 'good' or extremely talented to write poems (as you can see from my poem about losing a baby...). And what's more; this is a friendly place (site) to be.

I could recommend you some poets, who are well known and loved, though not contemporary:

1. Sylvia Plath
2. W.H. Auden
3. John Donne

Good luck! And remember: Everybody has to start from the beginning...
T

leedoyle

Posted Sat May 31st, 2008 5:12am Post subject: Poems and me (Question for all)
Thank you. I will go and take a look at these writers shortly.

One thing we all need to do is keep Poem writing as a therapeutic fix a secret... If we don't I think all councillor would go down the drain soon.

Loc

Posted Sat May 31st, 2008 3:29pm Post subject: Poems and me (Question for all)
When i used to cut myself, I would sometimes read books or poetry of suicide type issues. It kind of gave me a high to know others felt like me, but the down side is it also got me to cut myself more.

My suggestion, get on of those 'book of quotes'. Great for questioning the universe, but doesn't insite so much self harm.

If you are writting poetry, you dont need a set formula, just write. It's like art. Not everyone is gonna understand it, but as long a people are thinking then you did well.