Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Jan 24th, 2007 12:42am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I used to write verses as a small child, like many kids, then stopped altogether. Wrote one poem as an adult - something about a red-haired classmate in college inspired me to suddenly vomit out a mini-opus on the American pioneers and the spirit of violent go-getters everywhere. Almost no rhymes, and no scheme, either - just a sort of not-quite blank verse with an uncertain rhythm. Don't know what came over me, really. Bloody redheads. :-//

How about you folks?

Scout

Posted Wed Jan 24th, 2007 2:59am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I wrote a lot over my summer break. It was strange because I'd never written poetry before, and I was unsure if what I was writing actually qualified as being "poetry". Better crack out The Ode Less Traveled to find out!

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Wed Jan 24th, 2007 4:08am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
"Poetry" is too kind a word for my drabbles. To borrow from Stephen, "Arsegravy" is more appropo.

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Norfolkian

Posted Wed Jan 24th, 2007 11:31pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I wrote a fair bit as a teenager - mostly a load of crap about unrequited love! Now, I may try and write something occasionally - last piece I wrote was about being depressed and while it may be utter, utter crap it is quite an accurate portrayal of how I was feeling at the time.

trouser material

Posted Fri Jan 26th, 2007 12:29am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
The term 'poetry' is a difficult one for me.

I've never written poetry, if i did it would be the aforementioned 'arsegravy'. But or someone to label their ramblings 'poetry' (i am certainly not accusing anybody here of having rambling poetry, its just a pretend scenario) i find it quite egotistical.

Anybody know what i'm rambling on about here?

My point is, what a of people call poetry, i call pretentious bottom vomit.

Scout

Posted Fri Jan 26th, 2007 4:43am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
My point is, what a of people call poetry, i call pretentious bottom vomit.

Amen!
My best friend recently took a college poetry course and neither of us could believe some of the incrediblty wierd junk in there...and I mean wierd.
I'm sure deep within it had a "hidden meaning", but somehow I get the fealing that even the author doesn't know what it is. Probably on drugs or something.

melampus

Posted Sat Jan 27th, 2007 9:47am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
"Poetry" is too kind a word for my drabbles. To borrow from Stephen, "Arsegravy" is more appropo.

I call mine "Dish-Lickin' Doggerel". I write it mostly when I am very, very stressed and/or very, very angry. My latest is "Ode to an Air Freshener". Be warned.

Wildean

Posted Mon Jan 29th, 2007 11:13am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I write something that likes to think it's poetry, but that's really just a waste of ink and paper

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Sat Feb 17th, 2007 4:36pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
This one was for Tobe (valentines incidently,accidently)

The love was there all the time, I just could not see it
It took me travelling ; car, flight and sea,
But I could not find, although I tried,
The real me.

Only when I felt the real pain,
I felt the disgrace and shame.
For only then it was plain and simple,
It was'nt complicated at all,
Somehow I came to realise
I had become a fool.

My heart was left at home,
With you in it,
I found you're love again
Life is ironic.
A bit of a mystery
But one thing remains real...

And thats what you mean to me.

14/ 2 /07

rawlini

Posted Fri Apr 20th, 2007 8:48pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I like writing prose better than poetry these days. Here's days 1&2 from my very special, Straitjacket Diaries.

Day One
I have decided to spend the next six months in a straitjacket. The reason is arbitrary.

Day Two
My straitjacket arrived via Federal Express today. Rush delivery was an additional six dollars, but well worth the expense. Upon receiving the package, I phoned David, a childhood friend. Approximately twenty-three minutes later, there was a knock at the front door. It was David, wearing a green shirt. He walked inside and sat in the blue recliner perpendicular to the radiator. Switchblade in hand, I carefully sliced the box open. There, amidst the bubble wrap and rose-colored tissue paper lay my straitjacket. A cursory examination of the garment revealed the material as soft, yet durable, the stitching: divine. Seven buckles of roughly equal size were distributed at strategic points in the jacket promoting maximum immobility.

Nadia

Posted Fri Apr 20th, 2007 10:21pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
Ah, of course I was doing it in my 15's, 16's, 17's etc.
Some love-hate-lust-death teenage crap =) On Russian of course )
Then I became wise enough to stop it.

skylight

Posted Mon Apr 23rd, 2007 9:44pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
Oooh I love writing poetry ! Seeing that I'm only fifteen, it tends to be a load of pretentious rubbish about angst and depression or politics but I still write. In fact I write so much my parents would practically pay me to stop. I pretend I'm an upcoming Sylvia Plath but that, of course is rubbish too. Hilarious but untrue. Am I rambling? Sorry?

trouser material

Posted Tue Apr 24th, 2007 5:54pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I'm afraid all poetry is pretentious rubbish to me.

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue May 1st, 2007 9:48pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
Hi Harry

This one was for Tobe (Valentines incidently,accidently)

The love was there all the time, I just could not see it
It took me travelling ; car, flight and sea,
But I could not find, although I tried,
The real me.

Only when I felt the real pain............

So good this poem, in my view

Could we put this in the 'Poetry' thread in SLOMD?? [Poetry about MD and PNI}

Trying to get (original) poetry together as a collection

Chris

Incidentally, were you in Vienna at the beginning of the '60's?

blackadder

Posted Sat May 12th, 2007 12:08pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
Writing poetry is the easiest things in the world, just follow three golden rules;

1.Write down what is your head – did doesn’t have to rhyme of have big words just as long as it is your thoughts
2.Be proud of what you’ve written – whatever it is its unique and therefore precious
3.Write to please you not anyone else – if other people get pleasure from your writing all well and good but bottom line is do it for you

The more you practice the more confident you get to write and most importantly the more confident you are to tell people what you do,

Poetry and poems go back thousands of years to when it was the only way to tell stories probably even before books came along,

Poetry is like Nike – just do it!

You can take the man out of Norfolk but you can't take the Norfolk out of the man.