Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Saturn

Posted Tue Feb 5th, 2008 10:48pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
Blimey did I post that twice? X-D

Mods - please remove one of those posts!!

Saturn

Posted Tue Feb 5th, 2008 11:59pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
Calamity

When I hear your name,
My heart skips a beat,
When I write it down,
It pounds twice as fast.

When I hear your voice
My lungs just collapse,
Legs subside, wobble.

My delicate heart shakes,
Like an old abandoned
Tunnel wholly caves in:

I've been so undermined
By your sweet cunning
And ruinous earthworks.

When you do that swift
Demolition work, you
Always do it oh so well.

I'm condemned property
With the wreckers ball
Hovering o'er my head,
In danger of a crash.

My love you've made me
A walking calamity.
_______

SidewalkProphet

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 12:31pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
We Will - the best poem I have read in years.

wow.... don't know what to say.... *blushes*

SidewalkProphet

Posted Sat Feb 9th, 2008 3:59pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
Ever Missed

Mother can you hear me, from your place amidst the stars,
Have you watched my days and nights go by without you,
Have you listen to my whispers have you answered all my cries,
Have you been with me when I have talked about you.

Mother do you miss me as much as I miss you,
Do you see in me the girl you left behind,
Were you there when I was grieving, did you catch my every tear,
Did you feel the sad goodbyes I couldn't find.

Mother can you see me, can you see who I am now,
Can you see the woman you helped me become,
Will you be there when I marry, when my own children are born,
Will you meet me, when my own time has come.

Mother do not worry, I have never been alone.
I have my family from winter until fall
I have the strength you gave me, the love that you instilled,
I am my mothers daughter after all

Beautiful Boy

Such charm, such sweet and perfect grace,
So beautiful in spirit and face,
All angels seek your sweet embrace,
To be the one you love.

Each breath, each soft and subtle sigh,
Makes every heart begin to fly,
From now until the day you die,
They'll shine down from above.

CAROL. E. G.

Posted Sun Feb 17th, 2008 12:18am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I write poems for my pleasure and hopefully for other peoples'enjoyment.
i have posted over 90 poems on facebks poetry shout application on all sorts of subjects

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Wed Mar 26th, 2008 10:40pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
Since becoming my Sixth Form's Poet Laurie... oops, sorry, Laureate, I haven't actually been asked to write anything... but I did write something when I read the latest interview with Hugh in Radio Times. It started out sounding promising, in my own head, but now that I re-read it, it doesn't seem that great.

Dear Mister Laurie

Dear Mister Laurie
Please don’t you worry
I think you’re super; you’re great
Though times are trying
And you’ve felt like crying
Please don’t succumb to self-hate

I’m sending you love
Of the highest degree
I’m sending you peace; you’re respected
I’m sending you hugs from across the sea
To help you stop feeling dejected

Though you don’t know me
And we’ve never met
I still found a best friend in you
A time when we’ll meet
I’m not sure if I’ll get
But just know that I would like to

I've also tried what I think is prose poetry. Here's one I did ages ago...

The Coffee Grows Cold

The coffee cup warms my hands; winter-chilled air swirls and fogs the window.
Music whispers, soft and sweet; ‘Hello darkness’; the clouds grow huge.
Leaves rustle in the icy wind; the breeze blows sharp and cold in my face.
Night draws in; the stars emerge; specks of light against endless indigo.
I am tired; the coffee grows cold; I sleep and dream unbelievable dreams.

Catt_H

Posted Fri Jun 27th, 2008 9:13pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
i write a lot of poetry now as a stress reliever to get things out of my head and somewhere physical.

Only trouble is, though i am rather proud of them, i can't show them to anyone because they mainly revolve around such themes as contemplating jumping under trains and my psychotic mother, so anyone informed as of the contents might be a little disturbed and give me a wide berth in future...

Fryed-And-Tested

Posted Fri Jun 27th, 2008 9:57pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
My poems are awful! The one I wrote for Hugh is not that bad, but most of them are atrocious. Like this poem of thanks, for example:

I don’t know how to thank you
For all the things you’ve done
You always kept me in your thoughts
When times were not so fun
I know this little poem
Is not enough to say
How much I value your support
Each and every day

:-//

Nitro

Posted Sat Nov 8th, 2008 3:55am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I started writing at the age of six and have never, ever stopped. Some days I fucking hate the fact that I do and this is one of them. Pardon my naughty language. I guess my answer to the question posed by the author of this thread is,"Yes."

Really? Wow.

susanstewart1

Posted Thu Nov 27th, 2008 1:52pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I have been known to keep a usually tattered yet quite quaint little book with me for writing verses, i would never let any one read them of course, accept the ones i write for people. i find writing poetry and songs therapeutic some how i find my self unable to write creatively if i keep a diary or journal,

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
Stephen Fry

Dick Dastardly

Posted Sat Dec 13th, 2008 9:52pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
Yes, for some reason I found peace in writing and reading poetry in 96-97 at the age of 32! It was, I found, meditative and soothing to creatively record my observations. The beauty of poetry was, in my mind at least, akin to adding colour to a black and white sketch - it brought things descriptively to life.

M.K.

Posted Sat Jan 24th, 2009 12:09am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
Despite my pathological identification with Dorothy Parker, I used to think poetry was not for me and prose was definitely more suitable (though I've been published just once as a novelist and I'm still refusing to give my stuff to editors again because my labor limae is maniacally slow) - I think I've started to write down something vaguely poetry-alike when I fell in love for the first time (alas alas, the devastating effect of love strikes again!) - though I like the definition "monologues-trying-hard-to-keep-the-canzone-type-of-verse " best. Anyway I'm pretty proud of one of those, the "Ode In Odio di Cupido" ("Ode In Hate of Cupid"), pity it's written in Italian (see, rather good excuse not to post it, how coward of me).

Love,
M.K.

Katzeneurotic

Posted Sun Feb 1st, 2009 9:50pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I too am...trying. Is trying good enough?

PamJH

Posted Mon Feb 2nd, 2009 5:07am Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I too am...trying. Is trying good enough?

Of course it is. I just wrote 16 lines of the worst iambic pentameter with variations that anyone ever admitted writing. It was all part of an exercise in Stephen Fry's "Ode Less Traveled." I had a good time doing it, though, which is precisely the point.

filthymarine

Posted Sun Mar 8th, 2009 11:55pm Post subject: Poetry - anyone here guilty of it?
I used to write poetry for all my fellow classmates in primary school, then as a teenager, My friends and I speak in rhyme ( I know, sad really) It's just enjoying speech!

I think poetry is a celebration of language and expression. It's clay in our hands really. There is a great podcast actually, on iTunes, " Classic Poetry Aloud" . I listen to it going into college every morning, tis wonderful!
x