Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

amberzak

Posted Tue Nov 18th, 2008 11:04pm Post subject: Post modern poetry
Okay, it might just be the bad mood I am in, but my tutors at University for creative writing keep going on at me to try some post modern poetry. Now I don't really get post modernistic poetry. So I have just writen some random things, and made a kind of pattern out of it.

It is a bit of an experiment, to see what my tutor thinks.

Here it is.

The chase
by Rebekah Humphrey

Panting, running.
He found us.
We run.
Roar.
We hide.
He chases us.
Sweating, screaming.

I can hear their calls.
They call for help
I’m not there.
Never there.
Alone.
Not there.
Alone they are.
And still call help.
I hear, ignore their calls.

fryfan20

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 12:02am Post subject: Post modern poetry
it's beautiful, a bit sad but beautiful

I am what I am

michael

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 4:27pm Post subject: Post modern poetry
i have problems understanding what "postmodern" is. and i've been through grad school and everything.

when i first didn't like the term, my teachers said "well, it involves pluralism, and including appropriating things from the past...and your style really draws on things from art history more than today, so even though you may feel backward and anachronistic, you are a postmodernist too."

which was very sweet, well...seemed sweet cause it came from the mouth of a teacher i crushed on very very badly. and i said "buh bah buh alllllllright" and wasn't really absorbing in the information. but still didn't explain any of it to me clearly. sounded like the movement or style is so broad there are no limits anymore except that it be "after modernism". although i've heard it's also "ironic". and i am not. (really!!)

i have no idea what postmodernist poetry is supposed to be. but your poem has a definite form in its shape.

ok. there. sorry. very talky today. ciao.

EDIT: well, "postmodern" isn't nec so broad, it's just that there's quite a few different ideas of what that means or what flavor it has... and when you put every idea together it is a bit too big and all over the place. i'm sure though that if postmodernism was a being it would enjoy being too big and all over the place, knowing what little i know about it i believe it would get a real kick out of it. so, i'm at peace with it really.

p.s. whenever i hear "postmodernism" i always see in my head, godzilla.

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

amberzak

Posted Wed Nov 19th, 2008 11:08pm Post subject: Post modern poetry
I have no idea what post modern actually is either. And I am a form person normally.

dawnbearer

Posted Mon Nov 24th, 2008 6:43am Post subject: Post modern poetry
I wrote this while I was bored in math class 2 semesters ago. And I'm pretty sure post-modern would be most things that were written in the early 20th century.

I have seen my death in my mind
Burned by funeral pyres far and wide
Death, preserve me with your raptured pall
Crown me in funeral vestments of nature’s maw
Forget me not in night nor day
Resplendent in sooty robes of dusky fey
Flowing from the tears of gentle groves
Forgiveth me for what I hath undone
O, What has brought me to this state
Of infinitely powerful cosmic haste?
Where have gone the sibilant choirs of spring?
Only to call me to the brotherhood of death’s ring
How was I shivering in fear of night
Come to embrace it as bats in moonlit flight?