Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Soupy Twist

Posted Thu Feb 22nd, 2007 9:49am Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness

You have written a book, how exciting Is this the one you mentioned in the other thread, i.e. about the history of Christian orders? Do you find it very difficult to take out "junks of text" ? ( you must be feeling like Mozart when he was criticised for using "too many notes" in Die Entf├╝hrung aus dem Serail ) to "deflate" it to 65.000 characters ?
What are the other books about? But I guess this is the wrong thread...
The book about christian orders and religious societies is going to be published come autumn (as a matter of fact, I'm just writing it and it's torture :-(). The one that shall be published as an audiobook is about everyday life in medieval benedictine cloisters. The book itself is going to be published April 1st. My first one, an overview of the middle ages, was published last spring. And yes, it is exciting and at the same time really embarrassing to see a book with your name on it lying in a bookstore or at amazon. I'll never get used to it.
Oddly enough, to shorten my written text to such an extent doesn't give me a headache at all. There are some chapters that can be omitted as a whole, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sad about 'deflating' the text since I know the book will still be complete. If they had told me to shorten my text for the printed edition I certainly would have reacted like Mozart

AxmxZ

Posted Thu Feb 22nd, 2007 4:33pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness

You have written a book, how exciting Is this the one you mentioned in the other thread, i.e. about the history of Christian orders? Do you find it very difficult to take out "junks of text" ? ( you must be feeling like Mozart when he was criticised for using "too many notes" in Die Entf├╝hrung aus dem Serail ) to "deflate" it to 65.000 characters ?
What are the other books about? But I guess this is the wrong thread...
The book about christian orders and religious societies is going to be published come autumn (as a matter of fact, I'm just writing it and it's torture :-(). The one that shall be published as an audiobook is about everyday life in medieval benedictine cloisters. The book itself is going to be published April 1st. My first one, an overview of the middle ages, was published last spring. And yes, it is exciting and at the same time really embarrassing to see a book with your name on it lying in a bookstore or at amazon. I'll never get used to it.
Oddly enough, to shorten my written text to such an extent doesn't give me a headache at all. There are some chapters that can be omitted as a whole, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sad about 'deflating' the text since I know the book will still be complete. If they had told me to shorten my text for the printed edition I certainly would have reacted like Mozart

Can I buy an inscribed copy of each from you?

Gertrude Susanne

Posted Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 8:18am Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
[

You should be proud of yourself, rather than embarrassed (!) Congratulations, I hope there are more books to follow and that writing the current one gets easier as you go along.

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 9:41am Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness

Why yes, of course :-// In case I ever become famous you can sell the only copies that ever have been signed with the oh-so-famous author's sobriquet 'Soupy Twist' and make a fortune

Soupy Twist

Posted Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 9:42am Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness

You should be proud of yourself, rather than embarrassed (!) Congratulations, I hope there are more books to follow and that writing the current one gets easier as you go along.

Thanks, Gerti

AxmxZ

Posted Fri Feb 23rd, 2007 4:03pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness

Why yes, of course :-// In case I ever become famous you can sell the only copies that ever have been signed with the oh-so-famous author's sobriquet 'Soupy Twist' and make a fortune

Now what would I want to sell them for? (They'll only get more valuable with the passage of time, surely! )

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Feb 25th, 2007 4:44pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
[

It's fantastic that you're getting a book published Soupy. It must be exciting. I agree with Gerti you should be proud of yourself.

Assuming direct control...

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Fri Mar 30th, 2007 5:46pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
Local shop opened at midnight to sell Half-Blood Prince, so I presume I'll do the same again... I'll get stuck straight into it and you wont hear from me til its finished. Im staying off the internet and general media connection til I finish the book because it was ruined for me in Order of the Pheonix when idiots posted who died...

I dont care what people think or say, I thoroughly enjoy the books and think they are fantastic. I dont understand why people are so quick to put it down and argue it's merits - surely if you do not like it then all you have to do is not read them?! Your entitled to your opinions but so am I and other readers who like the books... If we enjoy them, what impact does it have on your lives?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 5:18pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
Local shop opened at midnight to sell Half-Blood Prince, so I presume I'll do the same again... I'll get stuck straight into it and you wont hear from me til its finished. Im staying off the internet and general media connection til I finish the book because it was ruined for me in Order of the Pheonix when idiots posted who died...

I always avoid the internet when there's a new HP book out. People always spoil it by putting plot spoilers in huge capitals in their sigs and posting everywhere.

I dont care what people think or say, I thoroughly enjoy the books and think they are fantastic. I dont understand why people are so quick to put it down and argue it's merits - surely if you do not like it then all you have to do is not read them?! Your entitled to your opinions but so am I and other readers who like the books... If we enjoy them, what impact does it have on your lives?

Because people love to jump on the bandwagon. It's 'cool' to hate Harry Potter remember.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 6:04pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness

Because people love to jump on the bandwagon. It's 'cool' to hate Harry Potter remember.
Sometimes I think some people can't bear the thought of what fortune J.K. Rowling has made with simple children's books. A friend and colleague doesn't like Harry Potter and wonders why the books are so incredibly successful, considering the many mistakes and inaccuracies the author makes. But he knows that I like them and consider them entertainment, thus he would never mock or bully me, because tastes differ. He agrees with me that one of the greatest values of Harry Potter is that many children and teenagers throughout the world have discovered the magic of reading.
I will buy the new volume first thing in the morning, install myself on my couch, or, if it is a sunny day, on a bench in my favourite park, and simply enjoy reading. I'd hate it if somebody ruined it for me by spoilers.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sat Mar 31st, 2007 6:13pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness

Sometimes I think some people can't bear the thought of what fortune J.K. Rowling has made with simple children's books. A friend and colleague doesn't like Harry Potter and wonders why the books are so incredibly successful, considering the many mistakes and inaccuracies the author makes. But he knows that I like them and consider them entertainment, thus he would never mock or bully me, because tastes differ.

And that's just it. Everyone has different tastes. I don't understand why some people think it's acceptable to be nasty to other people because of their tastes. I think it's disgusting behaviour.

He agrees with me that one of the greatest values of Harry Potter is that many children and teenagers throughout the world have discovered the magic of reading.

Not just children and teenagers but it's given some adults the reading bug as well!

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 4:57pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
Whats more, that amount of people to agree that the book is good must show that - at least - there must be something in it!!!

p.s. dont forget they released an adult styled cover for thoses who are too sad to admit that they read the book lol...

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 6:32pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
Personally, I'd never take the taste of the masses as an indicator of quality. Yet a book that is talked about evokes a sort of curiosity and sometimes I go out and buy it. In case of Harry Potter my taste happens to fit the masses: I like them, they're light, harmless entertainment. In case of Dan Brown I wonder why those books are talked about at all. I share the opinion of Stephen Fry: "Complete loose-stool-water. Arse-gravy of the very worst kind." Thus from my perspective the masses of readers are completely wrong.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Sun Apr 1st, 2007 7:31pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
I wouldn't use the masses as an indicator of quality regarding anything. Look at all the crappy poll results we keep seeing on Channel 4 for example. Lots of dross on television gets higher ratings than shows of real quality, such as shows like X Factor, I'm A Celebrity and Big Brother.

I'd actually never heard of Harry Potter when I first read it. My sister had bought it and I picked it up out of curiosity to see what she was reading (back then the sight of her reading was unusual indeed) and I found I was unable to put the book down, which annoyed her as she couldn't resume reading it until I'd done with it. X-D

absolutely curtains

Posted Sun Apr 8th, 2007 12:24am Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
It's 'cool' to hate Harry Potter remember.

Who the cock is that stupid?

I can't wait for it, and I'm tempted to go and get it at midnight so that the plot isn't spoilt for me. The 6th one was, deliberately, by my friend. I still cried. I also cried at the 4th and 5th.

However, I am far too lazy and un-dedicated to go at midnight. I still can't wait though. Title could have been better.

You know what I love? When I'm on this forum and nobody else is online, and I'm sort of browsing seeing if there's anything that might interest me, then on the Forums Index page my username is on most of the topic areas as the most recent message. I OWN THE FORUM!

I'm just kidding, obv.