Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

AxmxZ

Posted Tue Jul 17th, 2007 8:46pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
It's possible, AxmxZ. I kinda doubt it though. She's invested so much of her life into it, I can't really see her letting it go out with a fizzle. I think Jo's got plenty of tricks left up her sleeve. Looking forward to it immensely.

Maybe so, or maybe she's so sick of that world and those characters that she can't wait to be done. It's how I'd feel after two decades of writing the same thing.

Britannicus

Posted Tue Jul 17th, 2007 8:50pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
Hmm, yeah, I agree. I bet she's at least a little relieved it's all over, haha. Well, we'll see soon enough.

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

Monday's Child

Posted Tue Jul 17th, 2007 9:43pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
They're trying to make us dress up as Harry Potter characters at work this weekend...Not good

HAHAHAHA who are you going to go as?

lol I have no idea. Maybe I could be a thestral and just not turn up...

Britannicus

Posted Tue Jul 17th, 2007 11:23pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
X-D X-D X-D X-D

Sounds like a plan!

"Your room...it's CLEAN!!!"
"I prayed to God...and...it happened...but...where's my million dollars and horse!? Damn it!"

ClareBear

Posted Wed Jul 18th, 2007 12:03am Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
They're trying to make us dress up as Harry Potter characters at work this weekend...Not good

Hah! gutted X-D

Monday's Child

Posted Wed Jul 18th, 2007 1:16am Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
Cheers, I appreciate the sympathy somebody pity me please...

amyl_nitrate

Posted Wed Jul 18th, 2007 9:19pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
Despite all the agiotage building up around the book, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be the worst of the lot. Think about it: the publisher already knows that printing Potter books means basically printing cash. Ergo, Rowling can write whatever sloppy tripe she pleases - why grunt and sweat over your prose when you already know everyone will buy it? Why agonize over the right words, why spend endless hours editing, why do anything but the bare minimum of what is expected?

And anyway, is there any real mystery as to what will happen plot-wise? She'll probably just kill off Voldy, kill off some friendly collateral for balance, then give everyone who deserves it either a hero's send-off or a happily ever after. And also make clear whether or not Snape was evil - probably yes, because making a convincing case otherwise would be difficult, and like I said, no incentive.

/speculation.

You're missing the point. It's not the end that's important it's the journey there. Who cares if that's what happens. It'll hardly be wrote in such a clinical way as you put it. It's the life and soul she puts into the books that makes them a joy to read. I want to see the characters again. I want to see new things in the wizarding world that JK Rowling can invent. I want to see how everyone in the wizarding world, in particular the main characters deal with the loss of Dumbledore, what Harry decides to do next and how Ron and Hermione react and deal with it.

Assuming direct control...

AxmxZ

Posted Wed Jul 18th, 2007 9:48pm Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
I like the characters all right - I just think much more can be done with them than she does. My best friend used to write Harry Potter fanfic between lectures that in my mind completely blew Rowling's efforts out of the water.

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Jul 22nd, 2007 8:38am Post subject: Potterian Pensiveness
In order to discuss the last volume and to prevent those of you who haven't read it yet from running blindly into spoilers I thought it a good idea to create a new thread in the General Multimedia section.