Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

whattocallmyself

Posted Wed Jun 13th, 2007 12:44am Post subject: Power me up
I saw that meny of you use music to cheer yourselves up. I thought I´d contribute with a simple but energizing song by
URGA
Choose the song "Ethanol" thats one of my favourites.
The lyrics is just makebelive, those words do not exist, but who cares when they sound so right?
I´ve made a cd with only "powermusic" for my downtimes. I´ve found it very useful.
Have you got any new songs for me?

Onwards and Upwards!

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Wed Jun 13th, 2007 9:00am Post subject: Power me up
Hi Whattocallmyself,
I'll start the ball rolling,
I think the emotions that a person feels with respect to Music is a very personal thing.
Some songs are obviously "boppy" but if the song itself has no connection, I don't think it has the ability to please or offend.
However, there are songs that do connect with people in someway, and I believe that this often the case where a song brings back special and happy memories to the individual, and I also believe that these memories (the connection) are usually formed the first time you heard the song in question.
I feel the same can be said for songs that were listened to when things weren't going quite right. I can list a few off hand but wont. Needless to say, It's when I'm going through a rough patch, and these songs return those unhappy memories.
I'll copy the list I jotted down earlier. These songs (plus many more) remind me of happy care free times. Mostly when I was a teenager and just out of school. For instance, 1984/5 was a great period for me. I had just left school, was studying at College and loving it, was still really into Top 40 music, was still care-free and a had great summer.
Whenever I play some of the songs that were released during this period, the memories come flooding back.
I'm going be very cautious (but honest) here and name a few. Please don't flame or laugh at me.... pleeeease.

(CR = Can't remember the Artist)
1. Spandau Ballet - Ill Fly for You/Gold/Only When You Leave.
2. C/R - She Works Hard for the Money
3. Australian Crawl - Reckless (Probably unknown, other than in Aust)
4. Daryl Breathway - One Summer (Another Aust Artist)
5. Elton John - Too Low 4 Zero/Cold as Christmas /In Neon/Sad Songs)
6. C/R - Putting on the Ritz (Re-Release)

There are so many, many, more, and these were all receiving lots of airplay around this period.....
Perhaps explore the past, especially the songs that take you back to happier times.... Possibly worth a try when feeling down. However, and conversely, avoid the ones that recall the less happier times
Anyway, take care.
xox
Pete

whattocallmyself

Posted Wed Jun 13th, 2007 1:19pm Post subject: Power me up
Thank you Pete for sharing your songs and emotions! I am defenitly not laughing. Only smiling. Some of those songs are quite "happy" for me to.

Music is of course very personal. But sometimes you can find theese golden eggs that just fits perfectly even without memories attatched to them.

The eighties and early nineties vere good producing humoristic and bonemarrow-happy music. But I was stuck on metal.. powerful, evil, kick *ss-metal. (ofcourse, it sounds rather smooth, nice and sweet now ) so I missed out a bit.

Onwards and Upwards!