Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 3:57pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
I started in public schools some time after prayer was abolished. In America, there are still pockets of society who will insist to you that the entire reason for this or that bad thing existing in society is because mandatory prayers were abolished. I disagree. I mean, the logic's fairly weak to begin with.

But, in second grade I had a teacher who sat us all down to sing a song and it said something about rising to heaven, a mention of god and angels etc. I didn't like it so I just sat there while all the other kids sang. The teacher noticed and, in front of the other kids, badgered me about it. I just told her I didn't like the music and wasn't particularly agreeable to the message. Legally, she would've been in fairly hot water had she not dropped it and moved on with the day.

I don't agree that kids should be taught to 'go with the flow' in all circumstances. Skepticism and being encouraged to Question Authority are healthier things to teach, IMHO, than never voicing an opinion or challenging the status quo.

The seperation of church and state here is important to many people because it's evident what occurs if this divide isn't held in place. The problem, IMHO, is they threw the baby out with the bath water.

Objective studies in human religions, from Then till Now, is a fine subject to teach and possible to do without inserting glaring biases along while the topic is taught. The problem remains though that everyone's nerves are a little on edge. The worry of some religion being left out and then the education system being accused of bigotry, ( and possibly litagous processes emerging as a result of that ), is very real. Religion becomes a really sticky topic because there are so many charged emotions people feel about it, one way or the other. Everyone's kind of at the ready to be offended. X-D

Really? Wow.

Cheesepanini

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 4:31pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
I have been told the word of god says I am wrong.

I suggest you go out and buy the largest bible you can, find whoever told you that and beat them to death with it. It will at least have done some good then.

Being different from the norm is something to aspire to.

Going to see the head education honcho at the start of January with a view to moving son.

smilla.jaspersen

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 7:46pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
I suggest you go out and buy the largest bible you can, find whoever told you that and beat them to death with it. It will at least have done some good then.
i grew up in a family with religious background (my beloved grandpa was an evangelic pastor) and believe me, i'm far from being a christian, but if your quote stands for the atheist's view, then i'm glad to be no part of it. honestly, it makes me want to vomit. it's not much better than the words of a religious fanatic: hate-filled, ignorant & destructive.
i agree with many other things you wrote in this thread but when i read your last post the humanist inside me gets really angry. we don't have to share the same opinions, but we should try to be a little more tolerant.

Cheesepanini

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 8:33pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
i grew up in a family with religious background (my beloved grandpa was an evangelic pastor) and believe me, i'm far from being a christian, but if your quote stands for the atheist's view, then i'm glad to be no part of it. honestly, it makes me want to vomit. it's not much better than the words of a religious fanatic: hate-filled, ignorant & destructive.
i agree with many other things you wrote in this thread but when i read your last post the humanist inside me gets really angry. we don't have to share the same opinions, but we should try to be a little more tolerant.

I'm horrified that anyone should have read this as anything other than a joke in dreadfully bad taste, as it was meant to be.

I am tolerant of most things, intolerance being one of the exceptions.

Jarus

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 8:34pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
I agree that zealots in either camp are equally abhorrent and in other non-spiritual parts of life I always find them deeply unsettling. Oh why can't we be more like the bonobos! X-D

smilla.jaspersen

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 8:56pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
I am tolerant of most things, intolerance being one of the exceptions.
ah ... okay, so i just didn't get the joke. X-D i'm sorry but your words sounded pretty earnest to me. i only get the sarcastic/ironic/cynical comments by people i really know. sometimes the surreal world of the internet can be a bit tricky.

Cheesepanini

Posted Fri Dec 19th, 2008 9:06pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
I agree it can be tricky. When you can't see the expression on someone's face or hear their tone of voice it can be hard to know how they mean something, especially when you don't know them personally.

It will make me think about how I write things on here in future though.

Maxx England

Posted Sat Dec 20th, 2008 12:44pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
I agree that zealots in either camp are equally abhorrent and in other non-spiritual parts of life I always find them deeply unsettling. Oh why can't we be more like the bonobos! X-D

I'd like to be, but my wife would kill me

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Nitro

Posted Sat Dec 20th, 2008 4:11pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
I concede it's probably that I'm an atheist that I understood the sarcasm of Maxx's post.

And I agree that, in terms of aggressiveness, it's different sides of the same coin when a religious zealot's views are expressed with crazy intensity and then is countered with the villifying disgust of an atheist.

There have always been atheists but it's probably true that more and more have had it with staying 'in the closet' so to speak and keeping their perspectives to themselves in order to avoid conflict with believers or not otherwise risk some sort of backlash for being a 'godless so and so' X-D

I guess everyone does what they think is important to do. Just as some believers feel compelled to evangelize, some atheists feel compelled to guard against them mandating conversion. I tend to be the kind of atheist who suspects that the human species as a whole is not quite ready to let go of certain things and until they are, they won't X-D I also don't feel particularly inclined to sway anyone over to my thinking and really, really appreciate it when they aren't trying to sway me to jesus or buddha or allah etc etc. As an adult, I can walk away from those who do. Kids don't always have that luxury.

Really? Wow.

Cheesepanini

Posted Sat Dec 20th, 2008 6:24pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"

Well, I had to turn to Google after that comment.

"Bonobos" possibilities include:

"Awesome fitting trousers"

A Japanese dub band.

A vegetarian restaurant in New York.

And the winner...A species of chimpanzee distinguished by its matriarchal culture, and the prominent role of sexual activity in its society....so I can't help but agree with Jarus!

The only question that remains is why would anyone name a brand of nicely tailored trousers after a species of ape?

Jarus

Posted Sat Dec 20th, 2008 8:47pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"

Well, I had to turn to Google after that comment.

"Bonobos" possibilities include:

"Awesome fitting trousers"

A Japanese dub band.

A vegetarian restaurant in New York.

And the winner...A species of chimpanzee distinguished by its matriarchal culture, and the prominent role of sexual activity in its society....so I can't help but agree with Jarus!

The only question that remains is why would anyone name a brand of nicely tailored trousers after a species of ape?

I just had to google the trousers one I had hoped it would be mentioned on their site somewhere, but there was no mention of it in the FAQ...what a bizarre choice of name.

Oddly I've just remembered that the first time I heard of the Bonobos was on QI where Stephen explained what an Orangutan, Chimp and Bonobo would do if presented with a camera. An Orangutan would take it apart and then put it back together again, a Chimp would smash it and a Bonobo would attempt to have sex with it! X-D

Cheesepanini

Posted Sat Dec 20th, 2008 9:15pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
I just had to google the trousers one I had hoped it would be mentioned on their site somewhere, but there was no mention of it in the FAQ...what a bizarre choice of name.

Perhaps the company is distinguished by its matriarchal culture, etc, etc...

Soupy Twist

Posted Sun Dec 21st, 2008 8:20am Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"

Perhaps the company is distinguished by its matriarchal culture, etc, etc...

or the trousers malke you more sexually active because they are so awesomely fitting...

Maxx England

Posted Tue Dec 23rd, 2008 1:25pm Post subject: "Praying - not about religion!"
How much and where do I buy them?

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?