Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Plado

Posted Tue Mar 10th, 2009 6:04pm Post subject: Predictive Text makes some really good daft words.
A lot of people have discovered the hilarious false words alternatives that show up in Predictive Text and it makes some hilarious results with the names of food.
Spawn Agribog comes up on some phones when you try to type Prawn Biriani. That is just one that springs to mind and I'm sure everyone knows of some even more hilarious others. As it has a result rather like an anagram but with unusual letter alternatives from the keyboard alphanumeric layout, it has the potential to come up with some great new words or wrong words that are almost a language in their own right. Apart from that the nonsense words are good too, rather like Radio One used to come up with anagrams of celebrity's names Tony Blackburn produced Bonkyt Rublcan and Claby Bruntbok. Cliff Richard Produced Chad Flirfric.

I'm just wondering when I see people mention that some folks over a certain age are dissociating themselves from "text messaging" because they associate it wrongly with a kind of closed-order coded way of communicating that only the young would be interested in.

I think Jonathan Ross said he refuses to use the abbreviations as he can't be bothered with them, but I am certain that when I started using Text messages in the early days when they were called SMS - I found abbreviations such as 4U and ICUR and L8 and so forth were the perfect way to allow you to say more in a single message without running beyond the 160 character limit for one message. I'm sure that having to pay for a second message when it over ran the 160 character limit was annoying and cost too much. So the young ones perfected a way to say far more with less letters. Seems a perfect solution to avoid having to pay out too much to the Mobile Network Providers.

In those early days around the mid 1990s we had no free texts and they all cost at least 10pence plus 17.5% Vat per message. So it got quite expensive if you were sending hundreds in a month. So I did all the abbreviations I could so that Predictive text could even spell the word when I shortened it.

Still I think it has become forgotten that it was a way to compress a lot more into a single message rather than any kind of elite sub-group trying to gain exclusive coded ways of talking to each other. CB radio had all that odd lingo and that was very Cliquey but not so Texting, It was for everyong. I'm over 60 and I find it's superb aid to living at the speed of a person half my age!
--
Plado

Nitro

Posted Wed Mar 11th, 2009 5:49am Post subject: Predictive Text makes some really good daft words.
Clipping words makes sense for reasons other than making sure you are keeping up at the same pace as everyone else.

I mean, we know that L8 means 'late' because we knew what 'late' was first. To me, it's not any kind of future system of communication it's just a faster way of expressing the same ideas on a tool that really is not as sophisticated as marketing shines consumers on to believe. .

The rapid jump from a pc being a big deal to own to the IDEA that everyone has one ( even today, that's not true ), is part of whatever percieved age-related prejudices about tech speak that are interesting to talk about. I think there are a whole heckuva lot of social influences for any gap in technical savvy from one gen to others following. It's not necessarily any bigotry of the aged against the dicing up of words in an isolated context like that.

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Wed Mar 11th, 2009 11:29am Post subject: Predictive Text makes some really good daft words.
I'm 48 and I'm still getting used to all of this. I just joined Twitter on the web and I haven't used one of those abbreviations yet because for me they're hard to type. They don't feel right, but that's not to say they're wrong.

I suppose if I was texting I might have gotten used to it by now. I've never had a cell phone so I never bothered to learn all the little ins and outs of texting.

I don't mind people using little abbreviations for things. I just hope they can spell and punctuate correctly in real life. I've yet to see a business memo, a resume or any important document employ text-speak.

And now I'm L8 getting the cats fed. Have a great day, everyone.

Help

Posted Wed Mar 11th, 2009 12:10pm Post subject: Predictive Text makes some really good daft words.
Well I do occasionally use the following:
I'm aware some people don't so I'll explain.
LOL-Laughing outloud.
ROFL/ROPL Roll on floor/piano laughing.
LMAO-Laughing my ass off.
LMFAO-Laughing my effin ass off.
BRB-Be right back.
L8R-Later.
NE1-Anyone.
FFS-For Fuck Sake (excuse my French)

I do however only use them on the internet, not when sending a text or actually writing/typing properly.
I don't even have predictive text on my phone because it annoys me how long it takes me to find the actual word that I want to use!

Plado

Posted Wed Mar 11th, 2009 12:36pm Post subject: Predictive Text makes some really good daft words.
Well I have to say HELP that I don't understand how you have difficulty with predictive text, unless you have a very poor phone. Apart from anything else there isn't enough time in life to type words that can require more than 20 keypresses in non-predictive mode as compared with less than 10 in predictive mode. If you were typing the word Filofax for example in non predictive text, it would take 18 key presses! Whereas typing it in predictive mode takes just 8. Mind you, you have to teach it some words that are not in its dictionary but you have to do that with spell checkers too and with speech recognition software.

My own use of abbreviation to save space is very fast to use. I stick mainly to using a press-and-hold technique to type a number so that I can say things like 4U (for you) Also I cut out apostrophes for example there's no point typing "I'm going" when you can just use "I goin" And such things for phrases like "I going 2C if my GP will giv me rpt prescr" There's no point typing Doctor or "to see" when you can get the meaning unambiguously accross by shortening to GP or Dr. I know that's not true Text Speak but it's still an abbreviated way of talking. English language has done this for years with Dr Mrs Mr & £ %. But this also throws up how a lot of people write overly brief emails because they can't type and it's a long winded two finger task, taking ten times longer than someone who can touch type. I regard learning to type as the best thing I ever did when I first got a Computer. That way I can be verbose on forums like this !
--
Plado

Mandibles

Posted Wed Mar 11th, 2009 2:09pm Post subject: Predictive Text makes some really good daft words.
"Uncle Stephen, thats SO book. Seriously book"

Natalie: "Are you finished with your coffee cup Stephen?"
Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.

Help

Posted Wed Mar 11th, 2009 3:53pm Post subject: Predictive Text makes some really good daft words.
"Uncle Stephen, thats SO book. Seriously book"

Haha. I love that Johnathan Ross
Exactly, I don't have a poor phone, just I've never taken the time to learn the quickest and fastest way of using predicitive text so, for me, it's slower than just texting the words and as I text all the time, I'm actually rather fast at it

exoskeleton

Posted Wed Mar 11th, 2009 4:50pm Post subject: Predictive Text makes some really good daft words.
predictive text isn't the same as LOL BTW etc, no?
I use a small set of universally understood abbreviations in texts but words are better on the eyes at least for the time being.

but I quite dislike predictive type! I like to use non-words, and I feel quite restricted by that, like it's stealing my "voice" or something. I need artistic integrity in my text messages, cmon! X-D but see, I couldn't have just said "cmon" cuz that's not actually a word!

I am thinking that the feeling of limitation with predictive text would make for a fun essay on language determining/reflecting thought and vice versa if I still took any courses in that area. of course I could write it just for fun!

also, I am SO watching @wossy tweets for some time when he uses and abbreviation to make it under 140 char.

sockdolager.

Plado

Posted Sun Mar 15th, 2009 8:22pm Post subject: Predictive Text makes some really good daft words.
Excuse me if I appear to ramble on about this, but having looked at older people's use of Texting in many walks of life I know what you mean about the difference between LOL and AFAIK and BTW which sometimes is very handy to save typing-time on a mobile or wearing your thumb out! But at other times it can be just irksome and looks a bit dorky when older people do it.

I find more entertaining are the silly nonsense words that predictive text can create. My sister tried today to write "hay fever" and it came out as "icy feuds" and the second alternative was "gay deter". It's also interesting the way some predictive text alternative gives some funny option words such as "coal" producing "cock" and "anal" all from pressing 2625 when spelling coal !

But my original posting here was really to point out how useful abbreviations are to get more message for your 160 characters. But as a sideline I got slightly pushed into talking about how sometimes certain age groups shy away from using Text without knowing how useful it can be as a tool to everyday life.

When I was at Technical College in the 1970s I remember that some students who were about ten years younger than me showed a distinctly phobic attitude to new technology. One such student then aged 20, refused to have anything to do with pocket calculators which had just come on the market. I bought one for 29 pounds a Casio with LED figures.
The student insisted that he could do mental arithmetic as efficiently as I could on the calculator and he tried to prove it, using what he referred to as "good old fashioned pencil and paper technology" and tried to race me to the answers to some of our set work. Sometimes he won !

Even examination boards then, were anti pocket calculators and our group fought very hard to get the then London's City and Guilds exam board, to agree to letting us use Electronic calculators in doing our working of questions in the exam we were about to enter.

We got the ban lifted during our 3 year term because we could see it was a ludicrous rule.

Similarly people I know who are now in their early 50s still show a degree of Technophobia and aversion to getting involved directly with the technology they associate with a younger age-group. It's a bit like the fashion thing, where young people are embarrassed when older generations start to adopt their fashions. This is particularly evident in clothing such as footwear and headwear. People in their 70s are now safe apparently, to wear Baseball Caps because some of the youth have moved on to wearing hoods now.
You won't see any genuine 80 year old hoodies yet, give em' time!

In the case of technology there's a degree of hipocrisy evident. I've met people in their 60s who are afraid to have anything to do with computers let alone texting on mobiles. Yet they can't avoid using computers passively in everything from TVs to Cooking hobs & from cordless phones to car engines.

Elderly Grannies who text their grandchildren are very much in a minority. The ones who don't think they know enough about computers to even try one, are usually the same ones who complain that the BBC and other media are locking out their section of the community from rightful access to information (They don't see why they should be brow-beaten into submitting to enforced ownership of a Home Computer).

It's a shame because to me, texting is a very handy way to communicate and it doesn't lock you out from phoning the person and speaking to them, it's just less of a time-thief or so it seems to me.
--
Plado

PamJH

Posted Mon Mar 16th, 2009 12:09am Post subject: Predictive Text makes some really good daft words.
I have to agree with the time-thief remark. Sometimes people call me because they're bored and then we end up with long stretches of silence. I don't like to be rude, but if someone truly wants to talk, then talk - about anthing. Don't expect me to entertain you on the phone. I can see where just texting someone would be an advantage if you weren't in the mood for or didn't have time for a long phone conversation.