Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

1so-Static

Posted Tue Aug 14th, 2012 11:45pm Post subject: Previous genius - the old classics in film

I read somwhere that the preeminent Fry liked Alistair Sim.

I miss all of them and have started collecting some of their old movies.

Due to this collecting bug I know have 16 Ealing comedies, some Boulting Bros - and others and rediscovered some wonderful rich classics

You got to get "Brothers in Law" Terry Thomas - the great Miles Malleson - Ian Carmichael. Also "School for scoundrels" Alistair Sim - Ian Carmichael. (could easily be adapted to a Fry and Laurie)

...And "The Man in the White Suit" Alex Guiness - Joan Greenwood - Cecil Parker

I miss these greats - Dennis Price, Margaret Rutherford, George Cole, Stanley Holloway, Alex Guiness, Irene handl, Richard Wattis, John le Mesurier etc.

One I just picked up today, which motivated me to say something here, because it was a screenplay formed from a very old literary classic ..."Hobson's Choice" with Charles Laughton, Brenda de Banzie and John Mills.

The films of today dont measure even close.

I'm on a world of discovery; as I am much younger than these films of the post war years, my person being born in 1966.

Which classics would you keep in your collection?

"Security isn't a dirty word, Blackadder..... CREVICE is a dirty word"
My musical project -- http://www.1so-static.co.uk/

keith69

Posted Tue Nov 20th, 2012 7:18pm Post subject: Previous genius - the old classics in film

I am into the films of the 30's-80 love bogie, jimmy cagney, errol flynn, when i was younger there was a classic film on every day from Ian carmichael to Terry thomas. they were so funny. I had an Alistair sim film but never watched it. Magaret Rutherford was classic as was peter sellers . I LOVED ealing comedied - there is a actor you should watch out for Will hay, he is ver funny. Amazon.co.uk sell these at a reasonable price
Cheers