Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 5:15am Post subject: Product Idea Thread
Let's do a little 'test marketing' amongst ourselves.

Rather than the gaudy banner ads that most people probably won't click on, my question would be these:

What types of products would you like to buy that you also think others might also like to as well? Include the visitor to this site, if you will, who does NOT participate in the forum.

For example, would you buy a Stephen Fry calendar for around $18 US? A coffee mug with Mr.Fry's face and some witty words? I don't know if they have them already, but in addition to t-shirts..what about hoodies for the chilly weather? What price is reasonable to the consumer? What if Mr.Fry came out with his own cologne? Would you think that 'cheesy' or would you think,"Hey, that's cool. I'd wear that." ( it could be sold as a unisex cologne/perfume as many are now )

I'm just trying to get a discussion going here. Perhaps those on Mt.Olympus will hear us whispering about it and take a cue or two X-D

Really? Wow.

PamJH

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 6:40am Post subject: Product Idea Thread
Well, I would have to say that calendars (wall and desk), coffee cups (people have already asked for those) and baseball caps might do. The hooded sweatshirts would be great, but a T-shirt is already about $40 w/ shipping so a sweatshirt would probably cost close to $100. That's too high a price for most people.

I also wonder about bumper stickers, pencils, pens and little things like that. I think many people would like to have something Stephen-related, but the shirts are very expensive.

But if we have to have ads, I'd rather see something to do with music, books, movie promos, that sort of thing. Something a little more classy than dirty teeth ads.

monochromeprincess

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 12:21pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread
I think it would be worth asking everyone what their ads actually are. Mine are for TV licensing, which I thought (thinking everyone got that when they came to the site) was appropriate, given Stephen's work for the BBC. But yeah, apparently a lot of other people's aren't so great (did I hear someone's adverts made noises?)

sorry to detract from the topic!

mp xxx

@dreamingshadow

BREAK.MY.FALL

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 12:42pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread
I would love to have a hoodie! Wouldn't be able to afford it, though, I guess.

I don't like the idea that you can buy each and everything with a Stephen on it, though. Reminds me of all these movies and teenager superstars...
Maybe a bit exaggerated if you can buy coffeecups or anything like that.

As PamJH said, if it's something Stephen-related it would be much better than just, well, anything you could put his face on...

ginj

Member *

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 2:05pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread
Ah, I just deleted my other post. I see someone has already beat me to it. Yes, I think calendars are a good choice for marketing. They have the advantage of being renewable. Unlike the shirts and the podcast, where once someone purchases one you are done, people have to buy calendars every year. So you can offer two types of Stephen Fry calendars. One a 14"x16" 12 or 16-month calendar, and the other a poster type calendar that you hang on a door/wall, that has all of months printed on it. But you better start working on 2010 now, because you really need to start advertising them around September.

PamJH

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 2:18pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread
I would, however, draw the line at bobbleheads.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 5:20pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread
I want a T-shirt that says "Holy suck-pigging BITCH!"

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

TobiasMonk

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 5:29pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread
I think a a screen cap pic of SF in the drivers seat of the reasonably priced car on Top Gear, with a caption of him saying "You bitch" would be a good T-shirt.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

PamJH

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 6:46pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread

Then I want one that says "cock-mothering arse mustard."

These are best profanities I've seen in some time. Now I want to hear them in an English accent. Maxx, where are you?

exoskeleton

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 6:47pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread
the teeth need to go. I have always thought being a dentist would be among the worst jobs ever. I don't care if that person has discolored teeth. like Fryphile said, they look like they're about to nom Stephen.

anyway I would buy things, only if they were small, but knowing they were official would be nice. I get a calendar each year anyway so I'd get one of those easily. I bet stuff like mugs would be popular among non-forum-users too.

sockdolager.

Maxx England

Posted Sat Jul 4th, 2009 10:27pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread

These are best profanities I've seen in some time. Now I want to hear them in an English accent. Maxx, where are you?

My dearest love, of course I will lambast you with inexcusable verbal venom, you only have to ask.

I have my own invention to propose for the raising of revenue: the combination tooth and lavatory brush. There will, of course, be a point where sales inevitably taper off and this is where my master plan comes into play; the Mk2 has separate ends.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

gjhsu

Posted Sun Jul 5th, 2009 5:45am Post subject: Product Idea Thread
I'd like a Stephen-approved sportcoat/suit-jacket.

PamJH

Posted Sun Jul 5th, 2009 5:47am Post subject: Product Idea Thread

My dearest love, of course I will lambast you with inexcusable verbal venom, you only have to ask.

Well?:-D

I have another product idea: Stephen is good at coming up with new words and expressions. How about a Word-or-Phrase-a-Day thingamajig?

Hope

Member *

Posted Sun Jul 5th, 2009 2:38pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread
I think a a screen cap pic of SF in the drivers seat of the reasonably priced car on Top Gear, with a caption of him saying "You bitch" would be a good T-shirt.

I would totally buy this. Any T-shirts with Stephen Swearing on them, really. "Holy suck-pigging BITCH!" is also good. Some of his Moab swearing is brilliant, too.

PamJH

Posted Sun Jul 5th, 2009 3:20pm Post subject: Product Idea Thread

I would totally buy this. Any T-shirts with Stephen Swearing on them, really. "Holy suck-pigging BITCH!" is also good. Some of his Moab swearing is brilliant, too.

Then we're agreed. A complete line of "cursing Stephen items."

Seriously, we have some good ideas here. I especially like the calendar idea because that's an item that need to not be too expensive.