Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 4:09am Post subject: Professor Gates arrested for being in his own home
I'd like to see some ID's because there have been some reports about disorderly debate. Nitro, have you got any concealed weapons you wanna tell me about? WTF...is that a net? X-D

No concealed weapons Tobi, but someone here has a "take-things-out-of-their-CONTEXT" sword up their coats. And they've used it X-D

So let me see if I can find a dusty one laying around here. Oh, there it is. Now I can play too LOL

these words --->"you are trying to"<----- Are NOT speculation. They are accusation.

I didn't use the word 'bullies'. Never did. YOU did. Let's remember that, eh Ginj? Please stop projecting on me. It IS a far leap and you are determined, based on your reply, to disect the shit out of my words bit by bit till the true meaning of any opinions I have are totally lost.

I understand you don't agree with my viewpoints. It would be beneficial to this thread if you could handle doing the same, otherwise I'll just 'leap to' as you have and assume your goal isn't to discuss the issue of Professor Gates arrest, but the issue that we disagree. Which is, ultimately, pointless.

Really? Wow.

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 4:54am Post subject: Professor Gates arrested for being in his own home
[quote="Nitro"]
I didn't use the word 'bullies'. Never did. YOU did. Let's remember that, eh Ginj? {/quote}

I believe that is what I said, and probably where you heard it from. I said the only place I speculated as to your meaning was in characterizing the police as bullies, then I provided the phrase that made me "speculate" that you were trying to convey that message. So my memory is fully intact thanks for asking.

Please stop projecting on me. It IS a far leap
It isn't a far leap
I think many police do not know how to handle a private citizen questioning anything they do. The police aren't there just to protect, but to serve as well. Everyone. They're also not there to try the people in question. That's up to the courts. If a law is actually broken or being broken, it's their job to apprehend someone. He wasn't arresting gates for B&E. He was, IMHO, arresting him to prove a point. "Don't argue with me. I've got the badge."

And again, IMHO, that's abuse of ones position not an expression of it..

You state that in your opinion he was arresting him to prove a point. "Don't argue with me." You then characterize it as an abuse of their posititon. You now say that you believe my saying that you characterized police as "bullies" is too far of a leap? Really? Well, everyone is certainly able to read those words for themselves and make their own determination as to what you meant.

I understand you don't agree with my viewpoints. It would be beneficial to this thread if you could handle doing the same,

I don't mind that you do not agree with me, however, I will continue to state my opinion, just as you are free to state yours. I am sure you don't have any objection to that.

Nitro

Posted Tue Jul 28th, 2009 1:33pm Post subject: Professor Gates arrested for being in his own home
Right. Anyway....

* He was returning home from LA. ( Not China for gods sakes Nitro! bad, bad )

* The 911 call was made by a woman who never identified the race of the men directly, and only when asked

* When she stated the men had suitcases, the dispatcher asked,"What does that...have to do with it?" She reiterated she was telling them what she saw though she clarified she wasn't close enough to see details.

* The officer who arrived at the scene, called back to his office and said,"....keep the (police ) cars coming." and also asked for the Harvard police to come. He did not indicate he felt his person was being threatened, only that he felt Gates was upset.

* The woman who made the 911 call was not initially an eye witness. She had been aproached by an older woman who told her she thought a couple of guys were breaking into a house. The woman who made the call also told dispatch this. It was after the older woman approached her that she went by the house to look herself. And some of the aspects of her report ( "barging their way in...") are not witnessed by herself, but by the older woman ( who did NOT make a call about it ). Which is 2nd hand information. But you have to give this woman credit for 1) trying to be a responsible citizen and 2) mentioning there were suitcases and 3) not being particularly driven to talk about their race. She initially just said 'two men'.

Of all things, the woman who made the 911 call has been castigated as participating in 'racial profiling' though she did not mention race until asked about it by the dispatcher, and even then she could NOT say for sure and only thought MAYBE one of them looked Hispanic.

I think it's interesting that the 911 dispatch would ask for the race of two men thought to possibly be breaking into house and that was relevant. But when she mentioned the suitcases, he felt that was not relevant. Huh? And the officer who arrived at the scene is directly responsible for all those police showing up because the recording of his call reflects that.

I think a helluva lot of people are not willing to admit that race played an issue in all of this. Everyone talks about this being a 'learning experience' now. Yeah well, I don't believe that the people who need to learn something about race are going to until they can face their own bigotries.

Really? Wow.

Nitro

Posted Thu Jul 30th, 2009 6:10am Post subject: Professor Gates arrested for being in his own home
So I hear they're going to all 3 meet and celebrate with a beer.

That's great. But it might be some terrific fodder for a comedy skit.

Maybe Gates and Dowley could get drunk and start kicking their chairs around. And the president can shout,"I see what the problem is now..You're in love with each other!!"

Then they clasp hands and go skipping around in circles together.

Really? Wow.