Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 8th, 2008 7:40pm Post subject: PSSHHH on itv's website!
there's interviews on there with mr fry and you can only watch them if you are in the uk.

what's wrong with me watching them? am i going to release secret information about british television to our government and cause some sort of pan-atlantic war?

Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted Tue Jan 8th, 2008 8:25pm Post subject: PSSHHH on itv's website!
Isn't there a way of saving the videos and then posting them on photonucket or something?

Cherubino

Posted Tue Jan 8th, 2008 8:38pm Post subject: PSSHHH on itv's website!
If you can only watch them if your from the UK then it's obviously checking by your IP. Can't you just use a UK based proxy server and perhaps a programme like FoxyProxy(For Firefox)...?

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Jan 8th, 2008 8:46pm Post subject: PSSHHH on itv's website!
I still can't watch a thing on that site. Nothing at all. I've checked that diagnostic page thingy and it says I have all the requirements installed and everything to watch so fuck knows.

Oh btw FireFox does not work at all, if you try it with that browser it tells you off and says you need to use IE.

Assuming direct control...

Cherubino

Posted Tue Jan 8th, 2008 8:53pm Post subject: PSSHHH on itv's website!
I've got it running now, in Internet Explorer 7. Have you checked your security settings or accidentally disallow the site to run ActiveX? It will be your security settings, try temporarily disabling all the security settings and see if it works. If you have an older version of IE try updating to IE 7, hopefully it will work then.
For those not in the UK, if it is refusing you access due to your IP here is a guide to setting up a proxy server in IE:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135982

To find a suitable one just google UK based proxy servers.

amyl_nitrate

Posted Tue Jan 8th, 2008 9:01pm Post subject: PSSHHH on itv's website!
No it ain't that. Active X is all fine and enabled, always has been, I've even checked the security settings and everything like IE is up to date. It's just playing adverts still. It's all it ever does. Advert after advert. This time I got a trailer for a Tom Hanks film and a contact lenses ad. It doesn't matter what video I click on on the site and what section whether it eb drama, entertainment, games, comedies or whatever I get the exact same ones and they loop back to the beginning of the cycle so I see the same ones again. I don't get why it's happy to play adverts but not the actual content? It says below the adverts the name of the program I've clicked but it's never what's playing.

It's not a big deal anyway. I first discovered the problem when I got linked to some clips by the f-word blog and wanted to see what they were discussing.

Assuming direct control...

shatzi

Posted Fri Jan 11th, 2008 1:21pm Post subject: PSSHHH on itv's website!
Active X is fine, it just pops up saying it won't play it for me. I don't know how to trick it with my IP.

Cherubino

Posted Sat Jan 12th, 2008 11:32pm Post subject: PSSHHH on itv's website!
Grab a Uk based proxy server from here:
http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

Then follow the instructions from the link in my previous post.

That should work, don't give up though if the first proxy doesn't work, it could just be the server is down or really busy. A simple way to check if the server is up. Click start and run and type in cmd. Then in the window that has opened up simply type ping followed by a space and the address of the proxy server.
Still, it might take you a while to get a decent server, but until someone uploads them somewhere else it's the best solution I can see.