Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

SheepSleepSoundly

Posted Mon Apr 6th, 2009 8:28am Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
This is posted here cause my wife doesn't listen and noone else I know cares.

I live in New Zealand and we have a psychic programme (don't we all) called
Sensing Murder. (http://www.sensingmurder.co.nz/)

My rant isn't against this programme, although if you want some info from the sceptics visit http://www.smpi.co.nz/

Not a single piece of actual new (previously unknown) information has been revealed.
Not a single person has been arrested.
Not a single missing body (or even murder weapon) has been found.
Not a single case has been solved.
The participating "psychics" have received valuable prime-time TV exposure that has presented their claimed abilities as being genuine without providing a single piece of credible evidence that they actually are.
The producers and their self-proclaimed "psychics" have gained considerable fame and fortune.

My "rantyness" is aimed at the psychics who talk to the living about their passed relatives.

I see little or no value in this. I realise, I never will. I understand the nature of things like placebo and belief having real effects on the brain. But I find no solice in lies, sometimes even in truth. Does believing your family member lives on provide people with the skills to move forward? To truely mourn? Or does the problem only exist where you need to talk to them? To hear their responses to your prayers and thoughts of them.

Psychic readings are always inane. Giving out of letters and names picked at random and providing no real meaning to them seems obvious to me that the onus is on the receiver to provide the value to it. Even the slightest of investigation can provide alternative answers to how these readings are created (I would suggest Derren Brown, widely youtube-able. Here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btP_vy5cQq4). Why is it that my passed Grandfather would tell me about my painting being crooked or the watch I bought my wife isn't expensive or sexy. If my Grandfather was truely talking to me surely he would tell me of his time in Japan after the war since my wife is japanese and it is a story I have longed to hear.

I realise I am just repeating the numerous criticisms placed on psychics and parrotted by so many, including myself. However I will take a bit out of this in that I got to vent some rage at the people who I believe help to create permanent holes in the lives of the mourning which can only be filled should you provide them with the $19.95/min required for them to channel the dead.
I will post again when I find the coin slot on these people which is required. I'll assume their arseholes aren't the answer.

Maxx England

Posted Mon Apr 6th, 2009 11:04am Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
Little in life rouses me to anger and contempt, but "psychics" do. Using a few simple tricks one of these charlatans can home in on a victim in their audience and milk them and the credulity of their fellows.

It is rare that I question the validity of freedom of speech and expression, but these moral and emotional criminals get me headed that way.

Don't start me, trust me, I can rant to Olympic standard on this one.

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

Nitro

Posted Mon Apr 6th, 2009 4:35pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
The Amazing Randi has been on these folks for a long time now, including one of our most famous here, Sylvia Brown.

They always refuse an objective experiment even though the reward he has up if their psychic ability can be proved is a million dollars. She said on Larry King she'd take the test but has never gotten back to Randi X-D

They generally prey on the grieving and in some way try to make them feel better. I don't blame the grieving for that. But yeah, I can think of lots of things my dead family or friends might say to me that have nothing to so with anything superficial.

Shows like 'Medium' feed on the mindset of the same folks, who want to believe in something that can't be proved and are felt subjectively.

Everywhere, everywhere...The Willful Suspension of Disbelief

Really? Wow.

sheepchrist

Posted Mon Apr 6th, 2009 10:51pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
[quote="Nitro"
Everywhere, everywhere...The Willful Suspension of Disbelief[/quote]

I have been a reverse psychic for some years now and I am able to milk the stupid of their human kindness by predicting the past. I am always 100% accurate

So you lot can scoff if you must. Your belief or not will no result in my willie being fully suspended

SheepSleepSoundly

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 12:21am Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
James Randi, Derren Brown, Christopher Hitchens, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett and many others I have missed are heroes of mine (Mark Twain! Thomas Paine! Thomas Jefferson! (my thanks to Hitchens for allowing me to see these other brilliant people) holy shit the list goes on))

Not only have they taught me to stand up for myself in the face of what may be commonplace superstitious belief. They also showed me to trust my reason even when other influences are telling me, be they people or senses, that "strange" things are happening.

@ sheepchrist - Sorry to misunderstand but what's a reverse psychic?
I am able to milk the stupid of their human kindness I laughed so if it was a joke that's good. If not....

(previous post I think I spelt Masochist wrong. As if it matters)

sheepchrist

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 8:26pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
[quote="SheepSleepSoundly"]
@ sheepchrist - Sorry to misunderstand but what's a reverse psychic?

Sorry I was being flippant and silly

Being a reverse psychic, I can predict the past,.....

Example: I can accurately predict last weeks lottery numbers

Maxx England

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 8:31pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! I've got the ability too!

sheepchrist

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 8:34pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
Hallelujah! Hallelujah! I've got the ability too!

I predict that you will say that

X-D

SheepSleepSoundly

Posted Tue Apr 7th, 2009 11:02pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
I predict that you will say that

haha awesome.

I'm gonna steal that and use it myself.

wombatq

Posted Wed Apr 8th, 2009 3:22am Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
My 10 year odl wanted to know if these people are "telepathetic". I had to tell him they were.

sheepchrist

Posted Wed Apr 8th, 2009 12:41pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
My 10 year odl wanted to know if these people are "telepathetic". I had to tell him they were.

No,... They are known as Telepathetic

X-D

ClareBear

Posted Thu Apr 9th, 2009 9:32pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
http://badpsychics.co.uk/thefraudfiles/modules/news/

Corona

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 1:55pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
I think they should all have a test. They only have a licence whenthey can prove they talk to the dead.

Maxx England

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 3:28pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
Pursuant to this, can we extend it to include those practitioners of any sort of religion? Wouldn't you just love to see that one?

Talking to the dead though, you'd better rephrase that; I can talk to the dead, but getting them to answer back's the trick.

Ruffian

Posted Tue Apr 14th, 2009 6:52pm Post subject: Psychics talking to the dead (My rant about em!)
There's a man in the States who's been running a fantastic website for a few years now regarding Sylvia Browne and her Novus Spritus church/religion. It's main focus is eyewitness accounts from people who've encountered/worked for Sylvia and her sons.

Unfortunately, the site while still up and viewable, has been inactive of late because of the site owner's illness.

Still, worth a look though.

http://stopsylvia.com/home/

and the main articles page:

http://stopsylvia.com/articles/

It's the best collection of 'evidence' of a 'psychic's' abilities that I've seen so far. and by evidence, I mean proof that Sylvia is a cold reader at best, and not a very good one at that.