Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

the bantam menace

Posted Wed Nov 5th, 2008 2:00am Post subject: Public transport costs....grr!
A while ago my local public transport idiots put the price of a bus ticket up to £2 (for a 3 mile journey folks) and said it was because the cost of petrol had gone up. Now - lets forget about the fact that this provider had bulk bought petrol BEFORE the price of oil hit the roof - should I be surprised that the fare hasn't gone down since the cost of fuel went down? No, I don't think I am.

Maxx England

Posted Fri Nov 7th, 2008 1:22pm Post subject: Public transport costs....grr!
Prices depend on local subsidies as well as the company wanting to make a profit. Profit: you might not like somebody else making one, but think about what happens to businesses that don't do it. They go bust.

But yes, public transport is bleedin' 'oribble. Consider this: apart from fluorescent lighting, there is nothing on the modern British motor omnibus that wasn't available in 1935. Cars, motorcycles, aircraft, have all evolved. The bus ain't. I want air conditioning, pollen filters, decent space for luggage/shopping etc, seats designed for modern lardies, not half starved 1930s factory workers
Services round here stop running just before the last drinkers have left the pubs. This means either expensive taxis, long walks or drunk drivers. I have trouble with the walking now, can't afford taxis and I won't drink and drive. This means I don't go into town much because it's a pain in the nether region.

Rant? Rant? I'll give 'em bloody rant!!!

The only way is forward. Now where's the bar?

the bantam menace

Posted Fri Nov 7th, 2008 2:31pm Post subject: Public transport costs....grr!
Prices depend on local subsidies as well as the company wanting to make a profit. Profit: you might not like somebody else making one, but think about what happens to businesses that don't do it. They go bust.

But yes, public transport is bleedin' 'oribble. Consider this: apart from fluorescent lighting, there is nothing on the modern British motor omnibus that wasn't available in 1935. Cars, motorcycles, aircraft, have all evolved. The bus ain't. I want air conditioning, pollen filters, decent space for luggage/shopping etc, seats designed for modern lardies, not half starved 1930s factory workers
Services round here stop running just before the last drinkers have left the pubs. This means either expensive taxis, long walks or drunk drivers. I have trouble with the walking now, can't afford taxis and I won't drink and drive. This means I don't go into town much because it's a pain in the nether region.

Rant? Rant? I'll give 'em bloody rant!!!

I think you're missing my point. Which was, the company shouldn't lie about why they're putting prices up.