Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Nitro

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 1:27am Post subject: Puppy mills
If I have any thing that really cheeses me off, it's hearing about some new puppy mill being busted. It's the very idea that there are human beings, people of my species, who are so callous and cruel. And I do not understand them at all.

Abuse of any being is terrible, but I confess I tend to have a lesser reaction to people abusing people than people abusing animals. Animals don't have the same perspective as we do and don't necessarily see the world around themselves as we do. And it's because we don't understand that, that we should never fucking abuse them!

What is going on in these peoples minds? How do they sleep at night or eat dinner with a pleasant feeling? I just don't understand the depth of their ignorance. What influences them so strongly to treat innocent and weaker animals than themselves to suffer so much torment and abuse?

I recently heard of a puppy mill busted by the authorities in Alabama. The owners had broken the jaws of some of the dogs who, after being born into a world of continual neglect and torment, began reacting by doing the only thing they knew to do: BITE back! The images of these poor, emaciated creatures, their jawbones fully hanging from their faces, was repulsive beyond belief. It infuriates me to no end and so much so that I cannot even discuss it with friends who might bring it up. Sometimes I feel like the only justice is to beat these puppy mill people senseless with a lead pipe and lock them in a small cage themselves. But I know that would never, ever break through their ignorance and would only make me, or us, one of them.

I just can't understand anyone hurting an animal that is dependent on them for simple things like shelter, food, and the room to be what they are. Thankfully, there are people on the opposite end, who care enough to hunt these ignorant, vile bastards down and rescue their victims. But I think the punishment of these folks is too light. Some stricter law should exist that might make them think twice about the potential costs of their greedy enterprise. But what?

Really? Wow.

Occy

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 1:45am Post subject: Puppy mills
Just as bad are the people who knowingly buy puppy mill pups.

PamJH

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 2:21am Post subject: Puppy mills
I agree with Occy. I talked to a couple who had their hearts set on a certain kind of dog and traveled two states away to get one. They told me how smelly and dirty the place was but hey, they got the dog they wanted. Was it a puppy mill, I asked? We didn't see a sign that said so, they replied.

That's why I like to get dogs from friends or from shelters. Maybe I'm not getting a purebred dog with papers, but I'm getting a dog that needs a home, one that will give the same affection. A dog has no idea about pedigrees. They simply want good humans.

I also abhor dog fighting, but that's another subject entirely.

Pam

Occy

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 2:39am Post subject: Puppy mills
I have pure breds and rescues - nothing wrong with a well bred dog

PamJH

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 2:45am Post subject: Puppy mills
I have pure breds and rescues - nothing wrong with a well bred dog

You're right. I once went to our local shelter to do a story and came home with an elderly purebred beagle. She was a terrific dog. No papers, but who cares?

TobiasMonk

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 5:01am Post subject: Puppy mills
This is a subject I'm very familiar with because my dad, granddad and brother are all vets and I grew up with the horror stories about bad breeding and puppy mills and too many times I've seen the consequences of their actions. There's one other source that needs mentioning too though : backyard breeders. It's more rampant than puppy mills because it isn't regulated AT ALL and so it goes virtually unnoticed. So I vote to shoot 'em all.

I have a pure bred German Shepherd named Jasper, rescued from a puppy mill and though his farts will clear a packed room, he's the best dog I've ever had.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Help

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 11:48am Post subject: Puppy mills
This is a subject I'm very familiar with because my dad, granddad and brother are all vets and I grew up with the horror stories about bad breeding and puppy mills and too many times I've seen the consequences of their actions. There's one other source that needs mentioning too though : backyard breeders. It's more rampant than puppy mills because it isn't regulated AT ALL and so it goes virtually unnoticed. So I vote to shoot 'em all.

I have a pure bred German Shepherd named Jasper, rescued from a puppy mill and though his farts will clear a packed room, he's the best dog I've ever had.
I'm not sure if we have anything like that in England, I'm sure we must.
There was an article on the news just yesturday about a woman who was walking her dogs and she came across a gang of youths and they were torturing 2 little puppies. Thankfully, the woman scared the kids away and the puppies are recovering but I don't think that says a lot about the youth in England.
My dog was given to me when he was 4 weeks old because his mother died just after she gave birth. He is most definately the best dog, I adore him

PamJH

Posted Sun Feb 8th, 2009 2:45pm Post subject: Puppy mills

I forgot about the backyard breeders. There's a place not far from me that seems to have its Pom Pups for Sale sign out every few months. I'm hoping its a reputable breeder with a number of breeding dogs and not just one poor worn-out Pom. Now I feel like I should investigate.

Have you read the "Walter the Farting Dog" books? These are endearing little tales about a dog whose farts could sink a ship. I buy them for a friend of mine. She has a rescue dog named Walter.

Maren

Posted Wed Feb 11th, 2009 8:00pm Post subject: Puppy mills
The puppy mills/backyard breeders problems certainly exists everywhere, but I think not all people who go there to buy a dog are really bad - mostly they are quite honestly uninformed (and some may be compassionate and just want to save a poor puppy).
I even think many dog owners know almost nothing about dogs ... .
There's a lot to do to change the attitudes towards dogs (and other animals) and to change the laws (it's not so long since the german law defined pets not as creatures but just as "objects").
I'm not against breeders, but for me only a dog from the shelter comes into question.
Perhaps my next dog will be a greyhound - I think the racing industry is another big problem (not here in Germany; we don't have commercial racings) and I'm always really furious when I see the poor dogs.

Help, your dog is great! And Toby, please accept my deep sympathy

IdeaCollector

Posted Thu Feb 12th, 2009 8:49am Post subject: Puppy mills
I'm even against breeding on the whole...too many homeless animals that die in the street.

I've never had a dog that wasn't a rescue nor a cat that hasn't been rescued for that matter either.

Best personalities come from those you save.

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 5:15pm Post subject: Puppy mills
My dog was given to me when he was 4 weeks old because his mother died just after she gave birth. He is most definately the best dog, I adore him

He's a handsome guy, is he a mix?

Perhaps my next dog will be a greyhound - I think the racing industry is another big problem (not here in Germany; we don't have commercial racings) and I'm always really furious when I see the poor dogs.

LOL, thanks Maren. I hope you like quiet dogs because greyhounds seldom bark.

This is Jasper
Photobucket

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

michael

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 5:18pm Post subject: Puppy mills
!!!!!! !!!!!!!

aaaaaaaawe!

"HELLO I'M TACTILE !" is an anagram of my name

ginj

Member *

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 5:31pm Post subject: Puppy mills
I heartily applaud this thread, and am happy to see so many caring, well-informed dog lovers here. After Misters Fry and Laurie I think I care most about dogs. X-D I do not have anything against reputable breeders. I do believe that breeds should continue to be breed to standards which best conform to their initial uses. However, I would hasten to point out that my definition of "reputable" is very narrow, and there are probably very few breeders of each breed that actually fit that description. All three dogs that I have shared my home with (two now, one deceased) have all been rescues, and I think that I shall always get my dogs through rescue. But I sure wouldn't mind finding a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever some day.

Your pittie is adorable.

Help

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 9:03pm Post subject: Puppy mills

He's a handsome guy, is he a mix?

LOL, thanks Maren. I hope you like quiet dogs because greyhounds seldom bark.

This is Jasper
Photobucket
Awwh, that photo is so sweet! Jasper looks like a lovely dog. Is that your horse aswell?
My dog (Gizmo ) is 100% Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Are they mainly a dog found in the U.K? They have such a bad reputation over here I don't think it'll be too long before they decide they're a "dangerous dog" and make them illegal In thewrong hands every dog is dangerous. The problem with Staffies is that young hooligans get them and train them to fight because they're quite an aggressive looking dog but my dog as NEVER bitten anything, he'd be more likely to kill you with licks :-//
He is however VERY handsome, this is the most handome photo I think I have of him-enjoy

Lauz

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 9:34pm Post subject: Puppy mills
My Mum's dog Millie is a staff and she was actually rescued from a puppy mill. A group of boys dumped her on my mum whilst she was out walking and was in a bad way. We found out that she had been stolen, kept in a shed and made to have several litters. She's such a nice dog but can be quite protective over my mum and we've had some incidents where she has snapped at people but she has improved a lot. She has never bitten anyone though.