Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

cashew

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2012 11:22am Post subject: Purpose any more?

Does this subforum serve any purpose since Katy-sara left? So many 1 post "threads"....

gadgetgirl

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2012 3:32pm Post subject: Purpose any more?

It is difficult, she gave such a lot here. I think we all still feel the loss.

That would be me.

Katymum

Posted Mon Aug 13th, 2012 5:06pm Post subject: Purpose any more?

I tried to post here this morning but am not as clever as Katy on computers so must have sent my post out into space somewhere. Please don't remove this forum because I think it is still very useful to so many people and can continue to be so for a long time to come. Some answer posts privately, a lot of folks need to hover or dip in now and again. Often it is enough to speak, knowing that someone somewhere will read and care. x

cashew

Posted Wed Aug 15th, 2012 1:18pm Post subject: Purpose any more?

Thanks, I suppose I was thinking that if people do write something and nobody answers that they will feel that nobody is reading or caring, especially if they are upset at the time. Don't worry about the forum being removed, I've got nothing to do with the administration of this place. Nothing I say has any impact on anything, anywhere.

Katymum

Posted Thu Aug 16th, 2012 11:43am Post subject: Purpose any more?

Believe me...people do really care here, I am proof of that. It is having the right answers for the posts that is really hard. x Keep talking/writing and know that this is a good place to be.

TobiasMonk

Posted Fri Aug 17th, 2012 3:58am Post subject: Purpose any more?

gadgetgirl said:
It is difficult, she gave such a lot here. I think we all still feel the loss.

Quoted for truth.

I cannot be awake for nothing looks to me as it did before, Or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep.
Walt Whitman

Popeye

Posted Thu Aug 30th, 2012 5:55pm Post subject: Purpose any more?

I know this may sound terribly naive but, how do you know for sure if you are depressed? - without seeing a doctor (I've never discussed it with anyone - including my family).
I have visited a few websites and took a test on this site: http://www.depressedtest.com/
Here are my results:
Major Depression: Moderate
Dysthymia: High-Moderate
Bipolar Disorder: Very Slight
Cyclothymia: Slight
Seasonal Affective Disorder: Moderate
Postpartum Depression: N/A
Can anyone give their opinion please. I feel down all the time but I have no right to as I probably have a better life than a lot of people I know.

Everyday should be Fryday!
Soupy Twist!

Frazzy

Posted Fri Aug 31st, 2012 1:09am Post subject: Purpose any more?

Feeling like you have no right to be feeling bad is definitely a sign of depression, and I doubt people who aren't depressed worry that they might be depressed.. When you first go to a doctor and say you think you're depressed, you go through a questionnaire similar to that with them, so it is a good indicator.

Popeye

Posted Fri Sep 14th, 2012 3:31pm Post subject: Purpose any more?

Thanks for listening Frazzy.
I still haven't discussed my feelings with my family and I really don't want to see a doctor. On Tuesday (which was September 11th - so probably didn't help as I have strong feelings on that day anyway)I had my lowest point yet. I was at work and found myself thinking "Will I ever be happy again?" - I then tried to cheer myself up by thinking it was like a Dementors scene in Harry Potter, lol.
Anyway I finally found the courage to talk to my manager and he let me work somewhere else to where I have been recently so that I'm not feeling so stressed out all the time. So as a result for the last couple of days I have felt alot happier! Go figure it really is good to talk!

Soupy Twist!

Popeye

Posted Fri Jun 14th, 2013 10:44pm Post subject: Purpose any more?

Just needed to reach out to anyone willing to listen - I've been feeling very down recently (mostly due to stuff at work) so I retook the test as in my above post and the results have increased to:
Major Depression: Very High
Dysthymia: High-Moderate
Bipolar Disorder: Very Slight
Cyclothymia: Slight-Moderate
Seasonal Affective Disorder: Slight
Postpartum Depression: N/A
http://www.depressedtest.com/
Also, in the last few weeks I've scared myself a couple of times by thinking about self-halming and wondering if anyone would notice as I feel invisible at times (at work).

I know your advice will probably be to see a doctor but I really do not want to, partly because I'm scared and partly because it would mean my family would find out and I don't feel I can talk to them abotit at the moment. Can anyone give me any advice how to try to help myself, please?

Soupy Twist!

cashew

Posted Mon Jun 24th, 2013 11:29am Post subject: Purpose any more?

I am not qualified to tell anybody anything, so you need to understand that. My intentions are good, even if I'm useless at saying the "right" thing.

There are things that people get that they can help themselves with and things that they can't.

You can get a cold, and people on the internet can recommend cough drops and rugging up and taking analgesics for fever and headache and you can follow that advice (or not) and you'll get better because it's just a cold. There are other things like (insulin-dependent) diabetes and the only thing that people on the internet can tell you is to get along to a doctor because you'll need medication for it. No matter what people tell you, you need to get along to a doctor and get that medication. (EDIT: I'm not saying you need medication, just that you might need the input of a medical professional.)

When you've got something more than "feeling down", the advice of strangers isn't sufficient. You need professional input. If you had appendicitis you wouldn't be concerned about your family's reaction (which is not to say that your concern is unwarranted, just that it isn't consistent with how you'd feel about diabetes, or a funny looking mole or any other medical condition that sends you to a doctor).

You sound like you are in a bad place, and you have been for far too long for this to be the equivalent of a common cold that you can sort by yourself.

You might get a dud doctor, but they might have something to offer. Give it a go, it might be a fizzer, but that'll just leave you where you are. Your medical history and consultations are private, you don't have to discuss it with anyone, if you don't want to. Try to find somebody who has some experience with depression. If they are useless, go somewhere else and keep going until you get somebody not useless.

If you are female, there could be hormonal things going on. Things only a doctor can test for and treat.

RobW

Posted Wed Jun 26th, 2013 6:42am Post subject: Purpose any more?

@Popeye - honestly, the best thing you can do is talk to someone - break the taboo.
I suffered in silence for years before admitting I had depression to my family - then all of a sudden, people were piping up admitting that they had it too! [which lends weight to the theory that depression may also be genetic].

I thought I had depression beaten up until a friend unexpectedly took his own life (oddly enough, it always seems to be the people you would lease expect to be depressed ARE depressed - we become very adept at hiding it!); I had never even imagined he was depressed.
I decided then and there that I would be completely transparent about my depression, and the number of people that have confided in me is staggering; people who would otherwise have also suffered in silence.

If you are considering self-harm, then it is time to talk to your doctor, who may choose to start you on medication. If you, at this point, decide that you still want to keep it from your family then your doctor is obliged to keep it strictly confidential.

Jeff Truesdell

Posted Thu Jun 27th, 2013 5:40pm Post subject: Purpose any more?

Everyone, I just found Stephen's special this morning and am watching it for the first time as I type this on my second moitor.

We have to keep this forum going for not only Stephen Fry, Katy, and everyone out there that suffers from this.

I've personally saved two people from suicide by sharing my story. Even as we speak I am boarded up in my house dealing with a horrible low point right now because I think I failed a job interview and drug test with everything I'm on.

People in Michigan do not understand this disease and even if you're like me and coping with this at this very here and now, we can help others.

Everyone of us with this knows how easy it is to help others but not help yourself because your brain doesn't let you. It's like Evil Jeff is in charge right now and Good Jeff doesn't have the strength to fight him.

By reading this forum it's like having a free public help clinic in the comforts of the only place I feel comfortable, my home.

Here's to this forum, Stephen Fry, and Katy Sara Culling!

Cheers

Jeff Truesdell

Here's to Katy Sara Culling, Stephen Fry, and all of us coping with this disease.