Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Rapunzel

Posted Wed Feb 6th, 2008 4:07pm Post subject: QI
Here's a poem I wrote about QI.Tell me what you think.

There is a show I like to watch,
With facts and knowledge galore,
It's guaranteed to make you laugh,
It's certainly never a bore.

With panellist Alan Davies,
And 'the master' Stephen Fry,
There is no other programme like,
The quite interesting QI.

Beware the general ignorance,
It might just catch you out,
The words will flash,the sirens scream,
Every mistake will count.

Will Alan Davies win the game?
And so Stephen Fry will say,
"Do my eyes deceive me?"
If yes, he's the victor of the day.

Rachel Keeley, Norfolk

Nele

Posted Wed Feb 13th, 2008 9:27am Post subject: QI
Love it! Love the line "the quite interesting QI" to rhyme with Fry. Love it! I also am really happy to find a poem which is not drenched in self-pity but really light and breezy and lovely. I absolutely adore the general idea of the last stanza but (yeah, there always has to be a but, otherwise I wouldn't be a good critic or had to admit that someone else has written a good poem - Never!) but, I feel there is something slightly off with the wording of the last stanza. Might be just me though...
the metre just doesn't feel right. Biggest problem is probably the "Do my eyes decieve me?" which is of course a classic and somewhat unchangeable. Though I feel one might sacrifice accuracy for metrical correctness - or compromise... Maybe if you just went "Are my eyes decieving me?" It would be almost identical and wouldn't solve the whole metrical problem but the ing would add a slack sylable between the two stressed ones and I feel that would make a metrical improvement.
As you see my critique is pretty irrelevant, so again, good work!

Rapunzel

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 10:19am Post subject: QI
Thank you for your comments Nele. The reason I put "Do my eyes deceive me?" in the last stanza is simply because that is what Stephen says whenever Alan wins (more in the recent series though).

Nele

Posted Sat Feb 16th, 2008 7:16pm Post subject: QI
I know that's why I said it's a classic and unchangeable. I think it's really a matter of taste you have to decide what's more important the metre or the authenticity as far as the subject is concerned. Couldn't have Stephen picked a more iambic exclamation of surprise, though?

Mushroomoid Miss

Posted Tue Feb 26th, 2008 5:14pm Post subject: QI
Hehe! Very funny! But most importantly, I notice that you're from Norfolk! Just like me, and the great man himself!

I've rather misunderstood Burt and his bat sperm.

Romy

Posted Thu Apr 10th, 2008 8:02pm Post subject: QI
Brilliant!

MrEvans

Posted Sat Apr 26th, 2008 9:25pm Post subject: QI

Desdemona

Posted Thu Jun 12th, 2008 12:27pm Post subject: QI
I like it [=

made me giggle, which isn't probably a good thing since im in a silence science lesson.

Skip Life and come with me?