Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Troy Ramos

Posted Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 2:00am Post subject: QI and bicycles

Hello all!

First, does anybody know what QI's schedule is? I've recently watched the Christmas 2009 episode and realized that I've been missing a new series.

In regard to the aforementioned episode, at some point they were speaking about those really tall bicycles used to light the candles in streetlamps a century or so ago. If I remember correctly, they seemed to give the impression that these bikes were no longer in use. Not completely true, actually.

I see these bikes on a somewhat regular basis here in Portland, Oregon. Portland has a huge bike culture and they're somewhat fashionable in certain parts of the city. Admittedly, they're not used for the same purpose, but I thought it could be slightly interesting to mention that they're still around (emphasis on the 'slightly' bit).

Sorry to bore you all with that.

ginj

Member *

Posted Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 3:03am Post subject: QI and bicycles

Welcome to the forum Troy. That is interesting, actually, since the bikes are still in use, I think it would be neat to still have the old fashioned street lamps that were used during certain time periods too.

Here is a link to a thread where the new schedule of QI is discussed. The first post seems to be mostly right (the shows listed on the second page are off a bit). But I believe the voice-over on Friday's show indicated that QI won't be on this Friday (I may be wrong though. http://www.stephenfry.com/forum/topic/qi-series-g-broadcast-dates

Rathany

Posted Tue Feb 23rd, 2010 6:38am Post subject: QI and bicycles

I'm a Portlander and I see those bikes often near the Hawthorne area. I think they are meant to be a statement about bike visibility. I sent a reply to the QI twitter after I saw the episode.

Troy Ramos

Posted Wed Feb 24th, 2010 9:55pm Post subject: QI and bicycles

It would be fantastic to see old-fashioned street lamps reinstalled, I agree.

I see these bikes in the Hawthorne area as well, but I also see them downtown and the Nob Hill area from time to time. I think they might be in the Nob Hill area in the summer months because the naked bike ride comes through here, or near here; as well as other themed bike rides, of course. I could be wrong, but I live in the Nob and I've seen bike parades come by in the summer. So, anyway, it's some sort of large, bike ride gathering with those tall bicycles.

I'd be interested to know how they dismount?