Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Tivoli

Posted Mon Feb 18th, 2013 6:20pm Post subject: QI, Cruel Nature & "God"

I love what is fast becoming (I hope!) a running theme - the appalling savagery in nature - with which Stephen lambasts fundamentalist soi-disant Christians (and Jews and Muslims, I guess).

It would be great if the QI team could put together a whole DVD of such stuff with which we could challenge door stepping Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and the like.

Rad Jackson

Posted Wed Mar 27th, 2013 4:37pm Post subject: QI, Cruel Nature & "God"

Yes, because the trend of door-to-door evangelism represents such a perilous conundrum to society that we simply *must* rise up and throw down the shackles of leaflets and affirmations printed on poor-quality paper by enthroning their trivia on the BBC, thus paying them far more credit than they are due...

OOPS.

Quite frankly, I find it to be the only truly trivial element of Qi, and while I hope Pope Francis is eventually swallowed up and spit out by the people of the same bloodline who allegedly hung up the original martyr to the cause, I shall instead hope that Sports Direct have a sale on Lonsdale tops, as both that and the fall of the old dogmas are about as likely.

Gerry_

Posted Wed Apr 3rd, 2013 5:45pm Post subject: QI, Cruel Nature & "God"

I must say while I do not hold in any way shape or form with the views of Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and the like, I have always found them to be very courteous and polite people. If they call to your abode you can, not open the door or if you do open the door politely tell them you have no interest in their product, I have found they will go on their way without any fuss. In fact I admire their dedication and the time they give to what is I suspect for the most part a thankless exercise. If you do indeed want to engage them in conversation for the purpose of challenging their beliefs there is a wide variety of printed and web material available to read on which you can base you arguments.

WannaBeLinguist

Posted Thu Apr 18th, 2013 7:18pm Post subject: QI, Cruel Nature & "God"

To me, the show presents you interesting information and tells you to go out and check the facts for yourself. Most of the time, they (our friendly neighborhood QI elves) may be right. The nature of the program is not meant to be hostile and anything found or learned from it is more to enrich someone's knowledge or tickle the funny bone-- it's not supposed to turn encounters with others into curb stomp battles.

That is an excellent question-- I don't know.