Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

unseemlydogposture

Posted Sat Jan 24th, 2009 4:13pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
Dear Mr Fry,

I write with reference to last night's edition of Qi (23/01/2009). Firstly, the shift to BBC 1 represents a dumbing down of content (whether real or perceived, the same thing happened with Have I Got News For You). Secondly, I wonder if you could possibly see your way clear to never inviting the loathsome, rotund carcass that is Phil Jupitus back to your otherwise excellent programme. Jupitus, aside from being an obvious cocaine user appears to be suffering from a chronic case of 'Jeremy Clarkson Syndrome', an extremely unfortunate condition whereby the victim suffers from the delusion that posessing a big mouth is the equivalent of posessing a big brain. Tragically there is no known cure. Even that plonker with the glasses, who used to edit Word magazine has more to say than this be-jowlled, flacid glans of a human being.

Watching the other panellists squirm with embarrassment was tortuous. In fact the only thing more cringeworthy would be to witness Mr Stephen Fry appearing alongside noted scientologist and all-round nut case, Tom Cruise, later on the very same evening - OH!

Thank you for taking the time to read these comments.

Cordially,

Unseemlydogposture

Mandibles

Posted Sun Jan 25th, 2009 12:06pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
Good lord. Theres a difference between not liking someone and calling them some rather nasty names. Having met the man in question several times I can confirm that there are two Phils. Onset Phil, and offset Phil. You can't get away with trolling here sir.

an obvious cocaine user

Proof if you please.

be-jowlled, flacid glans of a human being
loathsome, rotund carcass

...Shame on you.

Natalie: "Are you finished with your coffee cup Stephen?"
Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.

unseemlydogposture

Posted Sun Jan 25th, 2009 1:33pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
Dear All,

Sorry chaps, I suppose my comments were motivated by an onset of "Onset Phil Jupitus". I now realise that I am the one in the wrong and appreciate that Jupitus is an incredibly amusing, witty and intelligent individual, as illustrated by his tirade of bad language on Friday's episode. To me, that is as accurate a guage of a man's intelligence as one is likely to need. And if that was any indication of Phil's wit then then perhaps he should be presenting News Night.

Please continue back slapping/arse kissing at will.

Adieu,

Unseemlydogposture

fryfan20

Posted Sun Jan 25th, 2009 1:42pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
unseemlydogposture, if you can't play it nice then get lost

I am what I am

TheElephant

Posted Mon Jan 26th, 2009 5:22pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
In spite of this thread looking suspiciously trollish, I did feel that he was a bit overbearing at times during the show (Only watched the long version, so don't know if it made a difference.)

As far as being unsettling though, anything Phil Jupitus did was easily trumped by Jo Brand not being sat next to Alan ! (I don't think I've seen all QI episodes, and I think Jo was quite high in a list someone had of most appearances, but it was the first time I'd seen her on the other side. Quite odd).

Lauren

Posted Mon Jan 26th, 2009 10:32pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
Well, you're a little over the top there, but I do agree that Phil was kind of annoying. I'm always more interested in the cool stuff the show talks about rather than the jokes, and I'm always a little miffed when someone (even Alan) interrupts Stephen to do a semi-funny imitation of some person I've (usually) never heard of.

I still enjoyed the episode though, and I think you probably did too deep down in your heart. lol

Follow me on Twitter! @Lauren1991

Mandibles

Posted Tue Jan 27th, 2009 12:39am Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
Sorry chaps, I suppose my comments were motivated by an onset of "Onset Phil Jupitus". I now realise that I am the one in the wrong and appreciate that Jupitus is an incredibly amusing, witty and intelligent individual, as illustrated by his tirade of bad language on Friday's episode. To me, that is as accurate a guage of a man's intelligence as one is likely to need. And if that was any indication of Phil's wit then then perhaps he should be presenting News Night.

You cannot base a man on a single performance. Yet, he can be a bit OTT at times, but he's invited back and paid for a REASON.

Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.

marillion_freak

Posted Sat Feb 7th, 2009 8:51pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
met phil jupitus after he did an show here in dublin last summer and i am sorry to say Unseemlydogposture he was a nice guy . sorry to be an arse kisser / backslapper but i can only speak as i found .

by the way don;t you just hate people wwho have to proove they are not sycophantic by slagging people off .

unseemlydogposture

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 1:11pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
met phil jupitus after he did an show here in dublin last summer and i am sorry to say Unseemlydogposture he was a nice guy . sorry to be an arse kisser / backslapper but i can only speak as i found .

by the way don;t you just hate people wwho have to proove they are not sycophantic by slagging people off .

Dear Freak,

You seem to be missing the point here old top, my comments regarding tubs do not pertain to his off-screen persona. Verily, he may be the sweetest, most pleasant man one could ever hope to meet. His work for charity (which, naturally, he prefers not to talk about) might be significant and far reaching. There may well be Seagulls in the Serengeti that are now enjoying three squares a day thanks to the Jupitus Desert Pilchard Appeal. As a family man, it could be that what we are looking at here is a doting father, never forgetting to dandle young Phil (or Phillis) Junior on his knee before donning hat and coat to embark on yet another televised hilarithon. There cannot be a shadow of a doubt, PJ always takes the recycling out.

That said, on screen, your hero is about as funny as a barium enema and half as smooth. Perhaps if he concentrated on just doing the odd aren't-you-a-clever-boy-give-yourself-a-pat-on-the-back panel show here and there, instead of spreading himself too thinly over the entire circuit, he might raise an occasional titter from anyone with a brain stem.

By the way, don't you just loathe people who have no respect for punctuation and can't spell?

Truly,

Unseemlydogposture

P.S. Marillion are rubbish.

Mandibles

Posted Thu Feb 19th, 2009 6:03pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
I'm sorry...but you really are striking me as a complete git. This forum wasn't made for trolling. Your opinion is fine, within reason.

You don't find him funny. We get it. Those of us who do find him funny are not going to back down purely on the basis that you don't find his humor appealling.
Get over it dear. Phill makes plenty of cash by doing exactly what you claim he can't do...and your argument is thin at best.

*5 minute debate later*

unseemlydogposture

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 5:11pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
I'm sorry...but you really are striking me as a complete git. This forum wasn't made for trolling. Your opinion is fine, within reason.

You don't find him funny. We get it. Those of us who do find him funny are not going to back down purely on the basis that you don't find his humor appealling.
Get over it dear. Phill makes plenty of cash by doing exactly what you claim he can't do...and your argument is thin at best.

Dear Mandyballs,

I am sore dismayed by your post, for reasons which I shall flesh out in the missive that follows. However, let me begin by informing you that while it is true I am no big fan of the waggling, unfunny beard going by the name Jupitus, at no point have I directed vitriol against any member of this forum. To put it another way, I did not make this personal, you did. And quite frankly I expected better of a Scots-person, clearly you balk at the mere sight of a haggis, let alone regularly imbibe Iron Bru, the drink made in Scotland from girders.

To suggest that my original post re the ‘performance’ of Phil Jupitus during the first programme in the new series of Qi, screened on BBC1, constitutes ‘trolling’ (to use your I’m down with the kids turn of phrase) causes me to become upset. It is high time people such as I and indeed the nation itself ceased merely accepting what is put before them in the name of entertainment and began rejecting Jupitus and his like, on grounds which have already been identified in previous postings. You are a member of the bleating masses, a slave to the glass nipple which nourishes you in every way except that which is most important – the soul.

Persons such as Jupitus who, for reasons unfathomable are able to make a living in the public eye, must expect regular criticism, no matter how robust. You too must learn to accept this fact with good grace. And, while we are on the subject of opinions, you seem to be in favour of them so long as they do not conflict with yours, which happen to be fundamentally wrong. I would also point out that your understanding of an individual’s motivation for appearing in the public eye is precisely in line with Jupitus when you say “Phill makes plenty of cash” – exactly: They. Only. Do. It. For. The. Money.

My argument is not ‘thin’ as you limply phrase it, but as broad as Big J himself, and represents a much bigger issue – one which will doubtless be lost on your juvenile intellect, but which I shall now relate in any case: There currently exists a global culture whereby anyone who achieves a microgram of fame or notoriety is constantly paraded on every possible entertainment medium until, just like the chap after his first week at work in the Quality Street factory, the consumer is literally sick of them. Jupitus might be amusing once in a million or so flabby quips and this might justify a salary somewhere, but he says yes too much. And consequently ends up spread more sparingly than Gentleman’s Relish.

Finally, by now I’m sure it has become abundantly clear to you that it does not do to go hurling insults at one’s fellow man merely because of the position he may take in an argument. But, if you feel there is no further option then I am sure, had you bothered to apply any thought to the subject whatsoever, you could have done better than “git”. This is, after all, the web site of Mr Stephen Fry, a man not unknown for his loquacious dialect and unquenchable passion for the English language. Therefore both Fry and myself been dealt a terrific injustice with your lacklustre obloquy and you have been outed as a one neuron shot of a synapse, toe the line fanboy. You most probably already have the current series of Qi already on pre-order with amazon.co.uk. Indeed, if it is not possible to actually do this, you will have been the first person in the western world to discover it. I’ll go further still, it would not surprise me in the least to discover that you actually ARE Phil Jupitus.

Now I’m all cross, but at least it’s Jonathan Ross tonight.

Good day to you.

Unseemlydogposture.

gadgetgirl

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 5:16pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
Is this the same troll who hates Alan Davies I wonder.

That would be me.

Mandibles

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 5:32pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
it would not surprise me in the least to discover that you actually ARE Phil Jupitus.

No, I'm the person with the moral high ground. You made this personal from the beginning by launching an attack at Mr Jupitus.

Therefore both Fry and myself been dealt a terrific injustice with your lacklustre obloquy and you have been outed as a one neuron shot of a synapse, toe the line fanboy.

Just who the HELL do you think you are?
Stephen being affected by me negatively? Prove it. Cause I'm not the one trolling on his forum. I'm standing up for a man who you are flaming, and I'd bet you wouldn't say this to his face - not that you'd ever have the chance. Oh and just for the record, you don't have to use your thesaurus for every other word just to seem impressive.

*5 minute debate later*

gjhsu

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 5:34pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
Phill Jupitus is awesome. On screen or off. Some people just don't "get him" just as some people don't "get" Stephen Fry, and that's fine.

Jupe is still awesome.

Mandibles

Posted Fri Feb 20th, 2009 5:48pm Post subject: Qi on BBC 1 and Phil Jupitus
I personally agree with you Gjhsu. I think Phill has been a constant source of comedy right from the beginning. Even his stand-up routines are hilarious.

Especially when he imitates Eddie Izzard..

*5 minute debate later*