Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

stephen_is_god

Posted Sun May 18th, 2008 1:07am Post subject: QI Series F ... 14th May (france and the french)
Hey,

Did anyone else go on the 14th of may ... to the one about France?

Did any one else find it incredibly offensive? ... coz I did ... I love QI as some of you may know ... I love Mr Fry as is quite obviously plain ... I have been to LOADs of recordings ... but I found this particular one strangely rascist ... it was all about France and the french ... if you didn't know already Fry really HATES the french ... and so does Alan Davies ... It was quite horrible really ... they were being unneccessarily abusive to the french ... and were being quite plainly rascist ...

I was hugely offended and left the studio feeling hugely disapointed and rather annoyed at the pointless ness of the whole evening

I just wondered if anyone else had gone and whether they felt the same way ... or at least thought they might have gone a bit too far!

sorry to bring down the mood

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun May 18th, 2008 2:45am Post subject: QI Series F ... 14th May (france and the french)
I made it to that recording, but I didn't find anything discussed downright offensive. I remember some unscripted and spontaneous comments made by the panelists that poked fun at the French, but I felt the aim of the show as a whole was not to trample over people's sensibilities. The only derogatory thing I recall had to do with snooty French waiters. And Stephen did compliment France's much maligned military with this minor fact spoiler:

The French have the best military battle record of any nation: 109 victories to 49 defeats..

When I went to the Tower of London, a Yeoman Warder asked if there were any French people in our tour group. A man raised his hand. The yeomen asked him to raise the other one so we all could recognize him. Is that offensive or a harmless jibe?

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

glossyibis

Posted Sun May 18th, 2008 7:19pm Post subject: QI Series F ... 14th May (france and the french)
Egad! That's offensive. But then my last name is Renard.

How did the French chap react?

No trees were harmed in posting this message, but several million electrons were hopelessly inconvenienced.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Sun May 18th, 2008 9:32pm Post subject: QI Series F ... 14th May (france and the french)

He said he was French but living in America!

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

glossyibis

Posted Mon May 19th, 2008 3:55pm Post subject: QI Series F ... 14th May (france and the french)

He said he was French but living in America!

Hardly faint-hearted, then!

No trees were harmed in posting this message, but several million electrons were hopelessly inconvenienced.

Phlizz

Posted Sat May 24th, 2008 10:44pm Post subject: QI Series F ... 14th May (france and the french)
I really like France - I lived there for a bit and I thought it was a nice place. I know we all have stereotypes and prejudices and some of them can be quite funny but I think it's a bit mean to make fun of people just because you don't like a place, especially when they've bothered to translate most of your books into their language! (type "Stephen Fry" into fnac.com)

I think it's a lot less funny when it's happening to you - when I was living there there were people who hated the English and it didn't seem fair. It was funny though when I asked my students (I taught English for a bit) if they could give me an English stereotype to break the ice in my first lesson. I expected them to say something like everyone wears bowler hats and they said "Everyone's a football hooligan" Heehee! And they really did believe that too!