Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

WhyGenTom

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 5:49am Post subject: Quarter Life Crisis
Read a few months ago about a theory of a 'quarter life crisis'... basically around 20 a person comes to terms with the fact they have to choose a path of life, and in some (most) cases that's easier said than done.

In the current climate a general ability... accounting, computer literacy, and other traditional day-to-day qualifications seem to be of little use because of the reccession. So given I'm 20 in a little over 2 weeks, and am failing to make any progress with getting a job it's dawning on me I need to make a choice... nothing other than English/Creative writing/Journalism has ever interested me at University, and I'm not convinced that there's a huge market for that, particulary in an age where writing is dying out and in an area of the country that has a limited intillect.

My other interest... music. Exams in all electric and acoustic guitars with a London University that would provide qualifications to potentially become a tutor. Seems perfect as far as I can tell, but can I make a career of it? Oh someone just tell me what to do lol

Occy

Posted Sat Jan 31st, 2009 7:17am Post subject: Quarter Life Crisis
pursue your dreams for as far as you can but make sure that you have something to fall back on. Don't do a straight arts degree - they're useless unless you plan on doing a further degree. As they teach you to do is say "would you like fries with that". I know people will disagree with me but that is my experience.

why not try for music journalism? or management?