Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

lolo65

Posted Sat Jan 9th, 2010 10:59pm Post subject: Questioning a childhood memory...

Can anyone recall a childrens book that had a reference to "pernicious gnid"? It has been really annoying me for months, trying to find it on the internet, but to no avail. I thought it might have been in a Dr. Seuss book but no references to it anywhere. Please help !!

Mandibles

Posted Mon Jan 11th, 2010 9:08am Post subject: Questioning a childhood memory...

Hi there lolo65,

I am going to hazard a guess that the creature you are referring to is infact a "Vermicious Knid" a race of shapeshifting egg-like aliens that invade Space Hotel USA. Their species was found in the book "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" by Roald Dahl.

However, they are also mentioned in the 1971 classic "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" movie as being one of the creatures that live in Loompaland.

Natalie: "Are you finished with your coffee cup Stephen?"
Stephen: "Yes Natalie darling I am, although it's not a coffee cup, it's a teacup..."

*5 minute debate later*

Result: The contents of the cup do not determine the name of the cup. The cup is a cup/mug whether it contains tea/coffee/ribena/hot chocolate or any other beverage.