Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Alan J

Posted Thu Sep 4th, 2008 7:31pm Post subject: Re: Whistling (Compliance)
After hearing Stephen's paean to the whistlers in days of yore I cast my mind back to when dinosaurs like myself were young. When I attended a grammar school of note in the northeast of England I had a gym teacher who had served in the second world war, perhaps. He warned us that he would not tolerate whistling - period. His rationale was his belief that some ex-servicemen had hearing impairment through artillery noise and that whistling caused them excruciationg pain.....

He was a pain and caused us minions pain also. Another one of his endearing traits was inspecting our gym shoes - punishment was meted out to those of us who had failed to "Blanco" our gym shoes! So, Stephen, temper that whistling habit, I have no doubt the bastard still haunts Newcastle whistlers.

Autumn

Posted Fri Sep 5th, 2008 12:22am Post subject: Re: Whistling (Compliance)
What is it with gym teachers throughout the world and eras? They are all bastards or bitches intent on inflicting as much pain as possible upon their students.... I would just remember something my grandmother would say when suffering under their torment- 'those who can't teach, teach physical education'.

On the whistling thing.... my grandmother would always talk about her mother (who was born and raised in England) whistling and how beautiful it was, but that my great-grandmother would stop immediately if there was someone around and she also told my grandmother not to whistle in front of anyone, that it was unladylike. Something English of that era or just a personal thing I don't know.

She also told my grandmother never to marry two things, a Frenchman or a Catholic.... my grandmother married a French / Mik'maq Catholic. And my grandmother wonders where my rebelliousness comes from....

Anome

Posted Thu Sep 11th, 2008 9:51am Post subject: Re: Whistling (Compliance)
What has happened to the whistlers of yesterday?

The Roger Whittakers and Tony Barbers of days gone by, who would make their living whistling and thus buoying the spirits of their respective nations (and in the case of Mr Barber, selling cigarettes at the same time).

The loss of whistling as an art form is a tragedy, and, I feel, we as a people are the worse for it.