Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

marzgirl

Posted Mon Oct 10th, 2011 7:47pm Post subject: Really!!!

I cannot believe I have not heard of this Westboro "church" wankers!!!

They hold signs at soldiers funerals that say "pray for more dead soldiers", "God hates fags", "God hates Jews", "Jews killed Jesus".....

Not trying to get into a religious or political debate here but when I saw this hate venom spewing group I was aghast!!!!

http://youtu.be/6lObCIKaTzc

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Stefi

Posted Mon Oct 10th, 2011 9:20pm Post subject: Really!!!

Thanks for the video! Love how he subtly makes fun of theam. They( ) just don't get it. (If I understood rightly, couldn't understand every word. Ohh, now I'm scared I misunderstood everything! And have to look up "aghast"!)
Anyway, if I got the context right, I like the reporter^^
Have to watch it again. Sorry for long off-topic post. Should stop writing now. Good night evryone!!

We are talking of the idea of beauty, and the beauty of ideas.

@Giggi_1

Nitro

Posted Tue Oct 11th, 2011 2:53am Post subject: Really!!!

They also hold up signs that say,"God hates dead gay soldiers.", or some such.

They have a right, however, to expose themselves to the public as the puny souled little pieces of cowardly cack that they are. And frankly, I'd rather know WHO they are and WHERE they are, than they go wandering and collecting together in the dark of their basements and interwebz, only to surface as some raging, undone monstor machine.

I think the group Anonymous and/or the jester hacked their website *during* an interview with one of them. It was kind of funny actually...this was a while back...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJwSjor4hM

I think the WBC 'shirley' appears to have been hitting the Baptist Bong pretty hard with that, pardon me, slightly shit-eating grin of hers plus that "Oh!!..." way she starts senteces is like,"Oh! Dude! And then these dudes did this thing that was like this thing!"

lol

Who cursed us with these interesting times???

Really? Wow.

IdeaCollector

Posted Wed Oct 12th, 2011 9:06pm Post subject: Really!!!

Actually Kevin Smith did a podcast with two of the younger members of WBC who escaped despite never being allowed to see their families again and it was one of the most moving experiences I've ever had the pleasure to listen to. March 22nd I believe was the date and the podcast is called Plus One.

They apologized for their role in the protests they were at, talked about what it was like growing up Phelps (Libby one of the two is Shirley's daughter/Meghan's sister), and how they got out (Libby literally packed clothes in her backpack and walked away after school to never return).

It was super powerful to listen to and if you don't have time to look up the podcast (which I cannot recommend enough and it's free so that's always good right...) then check out the following which is just a brief taste of the Q&A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR1JZbCC8sY

I used to be EternalStudent on these forums until the switch over. So don't get excited..I'm not someone new and exciting. I'm just me :P

marzgirl

Posted Thu Oct 13th, 2011 12:20am Post subject: Really!!!

Thank you for that link Idea!!! I did know some members had left but that was it.

Very true Nitro. I would rather know who and where they are. I also saw the signs saying "God hates gay soldiers" and other such phrases. I really hate hate!!!!

For a while the word tolerate and the phrase "lets try to be tolerant" kept getting thrown around. I cannot stand that!!!! I can "tolerate" a headache but would I rather never have them? Hell Yeah!!!! I "tolerate" waiting in line to buy groceries but would I rather not? Absolutly!! To use the word tolerate as it relates to people is a round about way of saying "I hate you but I don't want to go to jail so I can't beat the living shit out of you, so............I guess I just have to learn to deal."

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Nitro

Posted Thu Oct 13th, 2011 4:33pm Post subject: Really!!!

Maybe we can form the Lead Pipe movement, where all members give themselves permission to beat the living shit out of people they hate.

Hmm...naw, sounds a bit too in spirit with the WBC's own.

Rats! Now what?

There was an old book I read once called 'The True Believer'. I doubt it's easy to find. But it was very good imho.

On one hand I'm glad when kids can escape that shit, I'm familiar. But on the other hand, it's sad because a lack of biological connection is a disconnect we're not built or programmed for, so it can be really difficult. I hope the rest of their lives go well.

Groups that offer clear cut, black and white solutions are really appealing to folks who are entangled in a state of frustration and personal impotence they can't make their way out of. I try to look at these people and not so much express tolerance for their viewpoint - like you say that's just asking too much - but pity and compassion for their desperation to cling to something that in better times of their lives they might not have ever considered.

And yes, a few people are just plain mean. But, they're not the majority and it's kind of a 'save as many as you can' situation sometimes when confronting this sort of Ignorance, with a capitol 'I'.

And it should be confronted, not ignored

Really? Wow.

joan

Posted Fri Oct 14th, 2011 12:46am Post subject: Really!!!

There is something very satisfying in confronting ignorance. I remember this from the anti-racist movement of the late nineties and early noughties here in Oz. You have to guard against self-righteousness in yourself, of course, and ensure you keep a sense of humour.

The trouble is, when the ignorance and nastiness is religion based it is very hard to crack, because it involves that part of the psyche that has already suspended logic and rationality.

I've been reading stuff on this site and elsewhere about the rise of the irrational rampant religious right in parts of the USA, and it is deeply disturbing.

marzgirl

Posted Tue Oct 18th, 2011 8:53pm Post subject: Really!!!

I cannot wrap my brain around nastiness and religion going together. I really cannot. I know it does and perhaps my brain lives in Candyland on the corner of Gumdrop Lane and Candycane Road.
In my mind nastiness and religion should force away from each other like when you try to force magnets together from the same pole.

Did that make a damn bit of fucking sense?

~Martin Luther King Jr.~

Stefi

Posted Tue Oct 18th, 2011 9:23pm Post subject: Really!!!

Did to me. Make sense, I mean.
Didn't someone once say: "God is great. religion is terrible."? (Seriously, i wanna know, 'cause I remember reading it somewhere but I googled it and didn't find anything )
I think that sometimes people are religious just to feel superior. That they are going to heaven while everyone who hasn't got the same belief as them is going to hell. Meaning that everyone who hasn't got the same opinion as they is wrong and going to be punished. And since there is not much superiority to feel out of talking to people who live as or more religious as them, they are nasty to people who live less or not religious.
People like that wouldn't get any advantage out of trying to find out what their religion is REALLY about, what their god REALLY wants of us/them/the human race. They just try to feel bigger than people who don't follow (religious) rules blindly.
(Why do I have to write such a long text if I could've made myself understood with just one sentence?? )

And, incidently, sorry for my prevous post in this thread. It doesn't make any kind of sense and would neither help nor enlighten anyone. I actually don't know why I wrote it

@Giggi_1

Nitro

Posted Sun Oct 23rd, 2011 4:31am Post subject: Really!!!

Don't be so hard on yourself Stefi. Your posts are fine!

Really? Wow.

Stefi

Posted Sun Oct 23rd, 2011 3:12pm Post subject: Really!!!

Thank you really very much!
I think I sometimes confuse myself

@Giggi_1

schildpad

Posted Sun Oct 23rd, 2011 9:54pm Post subject: Really!!!

The Westboro cult is a national embarrassment. Still, I guess it says something good about the US that they are permitted to spew their vile filth in public, largely without reprisals. Of course it says something even better that they are themselves often the subject of protests.

I think they're a pack of treasonous little toads, personally. The US isn't a theocracy and I'm increasingly tired of people who think it should be. But on the whole, they're a little too foaming at the mouth mad to pose any serious threat. No, its the bigots like Cain, Santorum, Perry etc. (essentially the entire Republican field this go-round) who worry me. I just don't understand what happened. I thought Obama really would usher in a new era in our political culture - and it has, the lunatics have absolutely come crawling out of the woodwork.

I think you had better put the Indians on wheels so that you can run them about as you wish. Anon - Chief (1876)

Apple

Posted Mon Oct 24th, 2011 9:40am Post subject: Really!!!

I just got over them. To remedy the hate and frustration of these complete and total assholes, I suggest you consider the following courtesy of Encyclopedia Dramatica (DO NOT GO THERE UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO UNDERSTAND WHAT THE DARKEST CORNERS OF THE INTERNET HAS TO OFFER; I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU FIND).

-Remind them that they probably spend more time thinking about gay sex than actual gay people do.
-Hold a Phelps-a-Thon where for every hour Fred Phelps and his flock protest gays, people donate a small sum of money to a gay charity. Then, after he's done protesting, send him a thank-you card showing him how much money he raised for gay rights.
-Create picket signs with the following slogans and sayings:
"God hates FAQs. Ask less generic questions."
"God hates Photoshop gradients."
"Fred Phelps is so dense, light bends around him."

Any of those choices work. I'd put more, but I don't want to get banned.

Honest to god, ducks are rapists. Also, dolphins.

Apple

Posted Mon Oct 24th, 2011 9:43am Post subject: Really!!!

Oh, and the best part? Half the pictures you see of the people are them smiling. I'm not sure whether they're demented, or think it's hilarious to troll the public.

Honest to god, ducks are rapists. Also, dolphins.

AC

Posted Mon Oct 24th, 2011 2:38pm Post subject: Really!!!

Much as I detest the Westboro Baptist Church, I think schlidpad has a point about their influence. It's too small and extreme of a group to have much of an impact on public policy, and I notice that the media is paying a bit less attention to them than in the past.

As previously noted, I think some of these GOP candidates are the ones we really have to worry about. I don't want a president whose religion will automatically prejudice them against a whole segment of the population and who is going to do things based on what they think God wants them to do rather than what is best for the country.

"Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you." -Oscar Wilde