Topic RSS | Reply to topic
Author Post

Posh Totty

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 2:40pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
Dear Stephen,

I was interested to read on the BBC website Entertainment page the article in which you are quoted as saying that British actors are 'judged on accents' and that you question whether audiences were 'fooled' by them. Surely the audience fools itself into believing that an actor is good based on its own interpretation of the accent, rather than the accent fooling it. I have endured years of abuse by people who have resented my almost-RP accent. Despite having been sent to a naff secondary school in the depths of Cornwall, due to lack of transport to Truro Grammar, my mother insisted that I did not roll my Rs or drop my Ts. As a result, I have a 'posh' voice and expectations of me are really quite high. I am expected to know the English language inside out, to know every word and definition in the dictionary and to be the spokeswoman at events. I am expected to have an upper middle class background and to have been privately educated. When I confirm to the contrary, I am met with abuse. My point is that an audience will fool itself into believing what it wants to believe and will criticise if one does not meet their, sometimes unrealistic, expectations. Why is RP so admired on one hand and then criticised so badly on the other?

trouser material

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 6:20pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
I imagine it involves the full circle of jealousy, resentment and mockery. People are both impressed AND intimidated by a well spoken accent. So they will therefore beat up the person who speaks it.

Ah, how great it is to be British.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:00pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
On the subject of accents and the image it creates of the speaker, Do you know what ticks me off? the American and on occasion British media and movie take on the Irish accent. Why is it that we Irish are portraited with the common country-farmer accent that exists only in the rural parts of Ireland for nearly all Irish parts? there are approx. 40 different accents in Ireland and yet the Americans portrait us with the "begorra begorra top o' the mornin' to ya" crap that NO Irish person says. We are often portraited as non-educated or backward living, with thatch cottages and pipes.

Do you know people still come to Ireland believing that we have leprechains and that we all have red hair? granted they tend to be Americans who believe they are Irish because their dogs mothers owner was Irish....

Ok rant over! X-D

Aoibheann

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:18pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
True.... every time ive been on holiday in America, people were always like, 'my great great grandmother was a twelfth Irish on her mothers side. funny really. bit annoying also. American people are really a big melting pot of cultures. only the native americans were really native, the same can be said about Austriala also. Mad isnt it when you think about it. Did anyone see that programme on TV about finding out where you come from? they would test your blood and tell you what nationalities were in your blood. like you could be 28% sweedish and 42% Irish then the rest French or whatever. Anybody? just remember seeing a clip of it.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:23pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
oooh that sounds interesting, I didnt see it but Id love to have it done.... How does it work though? I mean how can you tell from your blood or your genes that you are from here or there? do we have a specific green gene that makes us Irish??

Aoibheann

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:31pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
couldnt for the life of me tell you. just saw an add on Telly ages ago about it. thought it looked interesting and i was ment to look at it, but completly forgot !!! where bouts in the good oulde republic you from? in lovely Wicklow myself.

Fryphile

Member *

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:33pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
Americans portrait us with the "begorra begorra top o' the mornin' to ya" crap that NO Irish person says.

You . . . you mean you guys don't say that everyday? :'( :'( :'(

I think of myself as someone who is filled with love, whose only purpose in life was to achieve love. - Stephen Fry

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:35pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
Technically Kildare but on the Dublin border.... I class myself as a lily white but I can put my foot in Dublin at the end of my village!

Aoibheann

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:43pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
did you not see the episode of QI with Dara O Briain on it? was a particularly funny one, Mr Fry was trying and failing to do a convincing Irish accent, sayin Begorra and all that stuff. got an earful from Dara. And he mentioned Wicklow, talking about Glendalough and St.Kevin! Pround as punch and laughing with glee i was! allways go there durin the summer, its beautiful.

Aoibheann

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:48pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
Lily white indeed.... X-D your just up the road really! funny how in ireland your so close to everywhere cause its so small...!

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:49pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
I seen part of an episode or maybe a different episode with Dara in it... I cant recall seeing that one. Dara is fab though.... love LOVE LOVE the Panel.

Fryphile: unfortunatly no.... Lol. we do like to drink alot though...

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 8:50pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
Id be closer to Wicklow than I would be to Naas

Aoibheann

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 9:00pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
really? small world isnt it?! wicklow town myself, love it so much! im in college in Dublin. no place like home really. understand what you mean by the drink thing, ive always tried to figure out why that is you know? just one of these social problems i suppose.

Crazy_in_a_box

Posted Tue Mar 20th, 2007 9:10pm Post subject: Received Pronunciation
seemingly its connected to the repressed catholic attitude, also found in Poland and parts of Italy etc etc well thats what my dad says. We all (The Irish, Polish and others) seem to have a drink problem.

joan

Posted Wed Mar 21st, 2007 5:15am Post subject: Received Pronunciation
All my life I thought I had an irish grandfather. Then Mum died, documents were seen, and - well - it seems my biological grandfather wasn't him - it was almost certainly a certain Russian/Liverpool Jewish man. My Aunt, who turns out only to be Mum's half-sister, was reddish blonde with blue eyes. Mum had black hair, dark eyes and olive skin.
Not that any of it makes any difference, I'm still me, but it does explain why Mum's wartime contingency plan was to kill herself if Hitler invaded Yorkshire